warranty question - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Performance

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
warranty question

I'm still dreaming of the day that I can add cams and a tuner and have a question about voiding the warranty. Through reading forum chat, I've learned that there is some law that says that a warranty can't be voided unless the moco can prove that the installed part caused the failure. Now saying that, will adding a SERT void my warranty. If you talk to the the dealer, they say it will.

So what is the real deal here and why if you happen to know.

thanks,

Mike Hutchings Broken Bow, Ok.
2012 Street Glide
SE - Ventilator AC, 255 Cams, Race Tuner
V&H - Power Duals, Hi-Output Slip-Ons
silvereagle50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Let me add another question. If the SERT will void the warranty, then what about the Power Commander or ThunderMax systems? Do they?

2012 Street Glide
Old 12-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
The power commander and thundermax tuners can be removed and put the bike back to stock configuration, so that it can go in for the warranty work. The same i believe can be said for the SERT. And there is a law stating that you cant void a warranty because the parts arent OEM or installed by the dealer it is called Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
phrogchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage
Best thing to do is ask the dealer. They vary. My dealer bumped up my motor, installed cams, breather, exhaust, tuned it up and sent me on my way with paperwork stating that since they did all the work that my warranty was still good. It's really up to the manager at your dealer. Renegade gives me all kinds of goodies and treats me right. Other dealers aren't as nice.

And you are right, ultimately the dealer will determine what caused the failure and if you are liable or if they are.

-Rohan
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvereagle50 View Post
I'm still dreaming of the day that I can add cams and a tuner and have a question about voiding the warranty. Through reading forum chat, I've learned that there is some law that says that a warranty can't be voided unless the moco can prove that the installed part caused the failure. Now saying that, will adding a SERT void my warranty. If you talk to the the dealer, they say it will.

So what is the real deal here and why if you happen to know.

thanks,
Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act of 1974.
Scott
Old 12-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage
Oh yeah, I forgot about that act.

-Rohan
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Turgid Member

You guys ever read the full text of the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act? Here's the text of the act as it would apply to us and our need to do stuff to our bikes. It's meant (my interpretation anyway) to allow the consumer to do reasonable mx work to keep the bike running. The best example would be the milestone service requorements, oil changes, etc. Bottom line is that I would remove anything non-original from the bike if I had to go in for service work of a covered part except for cosmetic items.

(9) The term "reasonable and necessary maintenance" consists of
those operations (A) which the consumer reasonably can be
expected to perform or have performed and (B) which are necessary
to keep any consumer product performing its intended function and
operating at a reasonable level of performance.

Michigan
2012 FXDC "Big Blue Pearl"
2010 XL883L "Vivid Black"
Moisture free since 2011
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratso View Post
You guys ever read the full text of the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act? Here's the text of the act as it would apply to us and our need to do stuff to our bikes. It's meant (my interpretation anyway) to allow the consumer to do reasonable mx work to keep the bike running. The best example would be the milestone service requorements, oil changes, etc. Bottom line is that I would remove anything non-original from the bike if I had to go in for service work of a covered part except for cosmetic items.

(9) The term "reasonable and necessary maintenance" consists of
those operations (A) which the consumer reasonably can be
expected to perform or have performed and (B) which are necessary
to keep any consumer product performing its intended function and
operating at a reasonable level of performance.
Agreed. MMWA covers service, maintenance and replacement parts that wear. It does NOT cover replacing cams or opening an engine and adding parts for performance or more horsepower. Higher lift cams means more stress on valve springs and can bearings and tappets.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

It's really up to your dealer. You might find out if the dealer would still be willing to cover it if you used the Screamin' Eagle Pro SuperTuner (SEPST) which is Harley's tuning software that is intended to accomplish the same thing as the SERT (which is now called the TTS). SERT is no longer offered by Harley and has been replaced by the SEPST. TTS is written by the same company as the one that wrote SERT. SEPST is written by a different company. Your dealer might be willing to cover your bike if you purchased the SEPST from them.

As far as SERT or any other items that you could remove and put back to stock before a visit to the dealer in order to hide it from him, that is up to you whether to do that. It is fraudulent misrepresentation of the true status of your bike and there could be consequences for that also.

If you do choose to put items on your bike that void the warranty, it would not totally void your warranty. Only those items that are effected by what you put on. Like SERT or SEPST would void your engine warranty including fuel injection and such, but it wouldn't void your warranty on other parts of the bike like electrical things, brakes, suspension, and etc.
Bigbluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

Garage
Well I know that I can go with the SEPST without affecting warranty, but with that, can you have the bike dynoed and make any changes that are necessary? (you only do certain maps right?) Don't you have to go with the SERT for specific tunes with the Dyno?

2012 Street Glide