Camshaft for 2009 Night train! - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Performance

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Go Mets!!!!

Camshaft for 2009 Night train!

I have a 2009 Night Train with V&H Big Shots Staggered and a VO2 Drak. It runs excellent. On the Dyno it pulled 72 hp @ 5200rpm and 82 ft lb from 2500-4200rpm. (torque curve is virtually flat) I would like to spruce it up a little more with a cam. I would prefer to use a SE cam but am open to Andrews. My riding is all street turning 1800-5000 rpm mostly. I would not mind a little more top end but I do not want to sacrifice streetability. An additional 10 hp would be nice. Any suggestions based on experience?
Veep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Northern Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veep View Post
I have a 2009 Night Train with V&H Big Shots Staggered and a VO2 Drak. It runs excellent. On the Dyno it pulled 72 hp @ 5200rpm and 82 ft lb from 2500-4200rpm. (torque curve is virtually flat) I would like to spruce it up a little more with a cam. I would prefer to use a SE cam but am open to Andrews. My riding is all street turning 1800-5000 rpm mostly. I would not mind a little more top end but I do not want to sacrifice streetability. An additional 10 hp would be nice. Any suggestions based on experience?
Go with a gear drive cam and get away from the Harley chain problem...am putting Andrews 37G cams in my 05 TC 88 this summer.. am at 89 hp now...will push me over 100 hp..

You can Sleep when ur Dead...

Baggers RULE !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTrb4YGkSOU

HERD Member # 000015
Blackdog 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Shovelhead

Quote:
Do your research.....and alot of it. The new chain tensioners are fine if your not going all out racing motor. Talk to a good engine builder in your area on cam choices.

My 110 kit with roller rockers and Woods 7H cams has 108 hp/120 tq gets 45 mpg and is reliable. The builder has no concerns with the chain drive what so ever.
1984 FLHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Northern Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 FLHS View Post
Do your research.....and alot of it. The new chain tensioners are fine if your not going all out racing motor. Talk to a good engine builder in your area on cam choices.

My 110 kit with roller rockers and Woods 7H cams has 108 hp/120 tq gets 45 mpg and is reliable. The builder has no concerns with the chain drive what so ever.
If you're changing cams, why not just illiminate the chain, gain some horsepower and run cooler without it ? and never have to mess with the chain or tensioners again.....seems like a no brainer if you're changing the cams anyway, plus you should always change lifters and the pushrods have to be removed anyway...

Baggers RULE !!!

HERD Member # 000015
Old 06-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Shovelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog 15 View Post
If you're changing cams, why not just illiminate the chain, gain some horsepower and run cooler without it ? and never have to mess with the chain or tensioners again.....seems like a no brainer if you're changing the cams anyway, plus you should always change lifters and the pushrods have to be removed anyway...
More pros than cons with the chain on the 09 models and how much hp do you think you will gain with the gear change?
1984 FLHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Northern Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 FLHS View Post
More pros than cons with the chain on the 09 models and how much hp do you think you will gain with the gear change?
Most of the guys that I know that have changed to gear drives say they gained 4 hp just getting rid of the chain drive , a lot less resistance with the gear drive, which also makes it easier on the oiling system and they found there bikes running cooler...Then with the cam change you will probably see hp increase due to a possible hotter grind than stock. My 05 TC 88 has the non EPA cams, (49 state stock cams)..and I am going to replace them with the Andrews 37 G gear drives. Andrews call this cam a hot street grind for 88 & 95 inch motors that works well with EFI or carbed bikes..with stock springs and compression ratio. A buddy of mine has it on a Softail custom with 95 inch jugs, a Thunderheader and a sidesucker intake....Runs like a bat...after the cams and also the Feauling oil pump and cam plate I am going to do, I am going to do a 95 inch upgrade next year with some good heads, maybe Screamin' Eagle, or ???

Baggers RULE !!!

HERD Member # 000015
Old 06-20-2009, 09:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Go Mets!!!!

After much research and talking to the master tech at Rocket Harley, I have decided to go with SE 204 cams. (Ordered them on 6/18) He indicated that it would pull really well from idle to 5000+ rpm. (after tuning) and had no concern at all with the chain drive for my build. Also, it seems like the major manufacturers all have cam grinds very similar to the SE 204 so it must be a decent setup. I will let everyone know how I like it and will try to post the dyno numbers on here.
Veep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Northern Redneck

Quote:
After much research and talking to the master tech at Rocket Harley, I have decided to go with SE 204 cams. (Ordered them on 6/18) He indicated that it would pull really well from idle to 5000+ rpm. (after tuning) and had no concern at all with the chain drive for my build. Also, it seems like the major manufacturers all have cam grinds very similar to the SE 204 so it must be a decent setup. I will let everyone know how I like it and will try to post the dyno numbers on here.
I'm glad you're not concerned about the chain drive, everyone I know doesn't like them and is planning change out to gear drives to eliminate the potential problems..I've seen the damage they make to the motors on two different bikes..not pretty...one motor was trashed due to it..Most of the Harley techs I know say it is a poor piece of engineering on the behalf of HD..One really good old school mechanic from Harley I know recommends changing the chain scrubbers every 10K miles...That is a lot of tear down,,,like every year ???3-5 hours of labor too...

Baggers RULE !!!

HERD Member # 000015

Last edited by Blackdog 15; 06-21-2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-21-2009, 11:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Northern Redneck

FYI, Here's a pic of an 01 Road Glide with 38K miles on the tensioners....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38K (Large).jpg (49.7 KB, 18 views)

Baggers RULE !!!

HERD Member # 000015
Old 06-23-2009, 08:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Check posts for gear install, crank runout............no need to change tension with new piston system
marty2008flhx is offline   Reply With Quote