oil engine ,primary , transmission - Page 3 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Recommended Products

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #21 (permalink)

For the money you spend on the Harley stuff, which is a synthetic blend by the way, you can buy Mobil 1 full synthetic which in my opinion is a superior product. It is also available at most any auto parts store and some Wal-Marts. You can use the automotive stuff in the engine. I prefer the gear lube, 75-90 in the tranny. Don't use auto stuff in the primary because of the clutch. You can pick up a quart of Shell Rotella T in 15-40 for that.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Mobil synthetic Motorcycle 20-50 oil @ WalMart . $9.00 a quart
XDixiecratX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:39 AM   #23 (permalink)
The other white meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxmanHog View Post
Not sure about Blackdog, but for me it's political, Citgo=Argentina=Chavez, nuff said!
Right! wish they'd run them out of town. (citgo)

Mobil-1 V twin 20/50 all 3 holes. Works well in me 09 FXDF
wally world, little over $9 a quart.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:14 PM   #24 (permalink)

I use Amsoil 20/50 in all holes on the bike since 20k miles . I'm now at 99k miles. I noticed an immediate drop in rpm at speed and a quieter engine.
Hog Wild Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:42 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Wild Ultra View Post
I noticed an immediate drop in rpm at speed and a quieter engine.
Can I call On this part of this? it is not possible to have lower RPM's at a given speed!

Lets take 25 mph and lets say 2000 RPM's just as an example (this maybe different with each bike each transmission different gearing what ever its just an example). Your speed will always match the same RPM's all the time.

When in gear the engine clutch and transmission are all engaged which prevents any change in speed to rpm variation the type of oil you use will not raise or lower rps for any specific gear to speed ratio.

what it could do is raise fuel milage because less friction creates less resistance which makes your engine use less fuel to create the same amout of power.

Now 2 gears can have 2 different rpms for the same speed depending on if you are on the high side of the lower gear or the low side of the next gear but still the high rpm and low rpm will always be the same MPH it don't change.

the only way this is possible to have a different rpm than speed is if your clutch is slipping and your engine is racing but your speed would always be lower than rpm in this situation. unless you were going down hill with no throttle and your clutch was slipping then your speed would be faster than your RPM

sorry for the wall of text.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #26 (permalink)
The Northern Redneck

I use Mobil 1 synthetic in all 3 holes ...major difference....runs substantially cooler too....I have EVO temps on a Twin Cam...and it costs a little less than Amsoil...get it at Autozone... $9.59 / quart

You can Sleep when ur Dead...

Baggers RULE !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTrb4YGkSOU

HERD Member # 000015
Blackdog 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #27 (permalink)
HERD #00021

$40 a gallon just seems outrageous to me

wonder if you could get a disahcount by the barrel

but it do do's the job it was meant to
To Get Further In

LONG LIVE THE FIGHTERS
our scars tell our story

Rebel Against the Guile Empire

03 Electra Glide Classic
K&N*V&H True Duals>Bub pipes*V&H fuelpak*Quick Detach TP
99 Fatboy The Last Blockhead
14"apes*V&H Ground Pounders*S&S Super E*18" Big Daddy Spokes*EV27 Cam*TwinTech External Ign.*Diamond Cut Jugs*Stainless Braided Lines*Ghost Flames
toorglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #28 (permalink)
The Northern Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxmanHog View Post
Not sure about Blackdog, but for me it's political, Citgo=Argentina=Chavez, nuff said!
Yup....not giving any $$$$ to them...

You can Sleep when ur Dead...

Baggers RULE !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTrb4YGkSOU

HERD Member # 000015
Blackdog 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #29 (permalink)
" BAGGERS RULE "

Used Syn3 in all three holes and glad I did. 5th gear Whine quieted down and most important Engine definetly ran cooler.
Pewter Pearl
Terryg43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #30 (permalink)

Here is a study done by a chemical engineer on oil for motorcycles, if you want read the whole site the link is at the bottom

AMSOil, Motul 5100, Mobil-1 MX4T, Mobil-1, Redline, and Golden Spectro are apparently made with high quality additive packages, similar to the commercial synthetics. Personally, I would find it reassuring if these oils were CI-4 certified. However, many motorcyclists have used these oils for years with good results. They are all fine oils, and perfectly acceptable to run in your motorcycle. They are a bit on the pricey side. Delvac-1, AMSOil, Redline and Motul synthetics contain no petroleum oils - they're pure synthetic. To the best of my knowledge, all other synthetic oils contain some amount of Group III oil.

I'm also sometimes asked if it's ok to run non-Harley oils in Harley-Davidsons. In my opinion, yes. If you change your engine oil every 3,000 miles or so, you can run pretty much any decent oil. I ran Valvoline in my Harleys for 120,000 miles. For extended oil life or superior protection, I recommend AMSOil, Golden Spectro, Motul 5100 or Mobil-1. Harley recommends a 20w-50 oil, so Rotella or other synthetic diesel oils will not do. However, the 15w-40 diesel oils meet the same film strength standard as 20w-50 oil, and are just fine to run in your Harley. I'm told that the standard Harley oils are made by Sunoco, and the Syn-3 is made by Castrol. The Syn-3 Harley synthetic is primarily a Group III oil, and contains very little PAO or Diester stock. I don't consider the Syn-3 Harley oil either a particularly excellent oil, nor a competitively priced oil.

All About Motor Oil
romo11580 is offline   Reply With Quote