bike to bike intercom-the cheapest way? - Page 3 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Recommended Products

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 07:04 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffchick View Post
Does anyone know how the Scala rider system mounts to the helmet? is it permanent or does it go on and off easily?
I fitted Scala Rider G4 sets to our (wife and I) helmets, but as things are never as easy as they say, I had to manufacture a polycarb backingplate to give some additional clearance to access the internal sun visor and also get the mic stalk close to my mouth. All this because we have BMW full face helmets. It's an easy enough job if you are a handy sort of person. Most helmets though would be less of a problem to fit the Scala gear. Scala also comes with a clamping arrangement and if that works on your helmet/s it will make like a lot easier. The system is fantastic and wife and I toured Europe and was well worth the expense. If you would like to know more I'd be happy to show some pics of what I did?
Fatboy206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #22 (permalink)

Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaled View Post

Don't forget you have to have the cups.
From the commercials it appears the Progresso soup cans work the best. They will do long distaance.
faadpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #23 (permalink)

We tested several systems including Scala before riding coat to coast this past summer. None of them seem to get the distance they say, and for the most part you have to be in a direct line of sight(straight line) to communicate with each other. If your in the twisties, or a mountain road not in close proximity, the range is greatly diminished if they work at all. Since one of the bikes was an ultra and already had it, we wound up using old fashion CBs. That was our best solution, very inexpensive as well...
Old 11-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #24 (permalink)

I am using the SENA SMH10. It is blue tooth bike to bike. It will also connect to 3 other devices. I have it connected to my phone and to my GPS. You can a) talk bike to bike b) listen to MP3 from your phone and c) when a phone call comes in it interrupts the music and you hear the ring.

I also use it to talk on my Yaesu FTM10 when I have the Ham radio mounted on the bike.
kg5ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #25 (permalink)

Garage
I"m a late comer to this party but want to get a headset (and this horse aint dead yet). I ride a lot and need to be reachable if I'm going to be riding durring work. At this point it seems the Scala or the SENA SMH10 are the way to go. The SENA seems to be more cost effective as it is half helmet ready wereas the Scala requires an expensive accessory.

Any other thoughts.

Life Church Riders Group Germantown WI
Riding with our Lord!
Knash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #26 (permalink)

Seems thow the wife is just learning to ride ,couldn't this be a distraction for her?
mat 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #27 (permalink)

bike to bike intercom-the cheapest way?

My wife and I use SMH10 from Sena around $250 work awesome

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
06Sportster1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #28 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat 60 View Post
Seems thow the wife is just learning to ride ,couldn't this be a distraction for her?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Sportster1200 View Post
My wife and I use SMH10 from Sena around $250 work awesome

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
My wife only rides 2 up with me and we have used the HD intercom, works great btw, however I need to be able to recieve calls and it's either get the zumo 660 plus accessories to tie it all together (which also means scrapping my existing GPS) or get a reliable blue tooth.

It's nice to see that 06Sportster1200 that it works good for you. Do you use cell service or just intercom for your wife?

Riding with our Lord!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
My wife only rides 2 up with me and we have used the HUD intercom, works great BTW, however I need to be able to recieve calls and it's either get the zumo 660 plus accessories to tie it all together (which also means scrapping my existing GPS) or get a reliable blue tooth.

It's nice to see that 06Sportster1200 that it works good for you. Do you use cell service or just intercom for your wife?
I was talking to the OP who said his wife was just learning to ride a bike. Sorry.
mat 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #30 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat 60 View Post
I was talking to the OP who said his wife was just learning to ride a bike. Sorry.
No worries, but youre right however, newbies should pay attention and stay focused...

Riding with our Lord!