Ride into Canada - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Rides, Rallies, and Riders > Ride Suggestions and Ride Reports

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Railroader

Ride into Canada

Hey all, I am planing a ride for early June from Fresno up into Canada via Vancouver, then over to Kamloops, Calgary then back home. I have never been in Canada, let alone Oregon and Washington. I have done Sturgis so am familiar with a long ride. This time The wife will go along with me. I guess my questions are Routes? places to see? must stays? etc... I can ride 500mi a day, not sure if she can, I guess I'll find out. Want to be gone about 12-14 days, looking forward to all comments and suggestions.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

ride into British Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daswine View Post
Hey all, I am planing a ride for early June from Fresno up into Canada via Vancouver, then over to Kamloops, Calgary then back home. I have never been in Canada, let alone Oregon and Washington. I have done Sturgis so am familiar with a long ride. This time The wife will go along with me. I guess my questions are Routes? places to see? must stays? etc... I can ride 500mi a day, not sure if she can, I guess I'll find out. Want to be gone about 12-14 days, looking forward to all comments and suggestions.
Don`t look like a H#%%s A@&#$$ when you cross the border or they won`t let you in ! Have a current passport with you.

A stop at Trev Deeley HD in Vancouver is a must for their motorcycle museum, then Stanley Park. Bring your camera and rain gear !
The Frazier River and Thompson River Canyons are spectacular too !
Have fun.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

thats some good riding country have been that way a few times watch out in june for snow in mountains X2 on passport have some kind of story for your vist it helps if you get hard ass for border gaurd and some warm clothes if weather changes fast
mile post is good magazine to get if traveling though canada will tell you every stop
buckanear007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 02:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

canada trip

How long are you planning to be in Canada? Are you heading home after Kamloops?

I would head North from Vancouver up through Whistler along the Sea to Sky highway then keep going up what we call the Duffy Lake Road #99. At Lillooet intersection keep North (left) This is what is called the Marble Canyon road. Eventually you will hit the #97 (Caribou) take a right and then head to Kamloops. Awesome ride, great mountain roads, huge canyons etc. I live in the area and I will tell you I am spoiled with all the great mountain roads here. If you want more just let me know, glad to help. Could give you a route home too.
slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Been There Done That

I'v done 2 trips to AK. I entered Canada on US 93 north to Jasper. You got to do the Icefields highway between Jasper and Banff. About a hundred miles of the most awesome scenery of your life! Recommend carrying a gallon or 2 can of extra fuel. Stations are few and far between. Also, be ready to shell out more than 6 bucks a gallon for gas. Also, if you smoke, 15 dollars a pack. Motels are around 125 / nite. In BC paid $38.00 for a sixpack of Bud Light and a small bottle of Baileys (no shit). All in all the incredible scenery makes up for the high prices.
Long Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

when i went there were motels on alcan pretty cheap but they were pretty old too
Old 12-01-2012, 12:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckanear007 View Post
when i went there were motels on alcan pretty cheap but they were pretty old too
Were the walls thick enough to keep the bears off your ass long enough to get your shoes on?
secoleman57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 06:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

HAHA well never had them com up too motel got a few grizz pictures never turned bike off
Old 12-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer View Post
How long are you planning to be in Canada? Are you heading home after Kamloops?

I would head North from Vancouver up through Whistler along the Sea to Sky highway then keep going up what we call the Duffy Lake Road #99. At Lillooet intersection keep North (left) This is what is called the Marble Canyon road. Eventually you will hit the #97 (Caribou) take a right and then head to Kamloops. Awesome ride, great mountain roads, huge canyons etc. I live in the area and I will tell you I am spoiled with all the great mountain roads here. If you want more just let me know, glad to help. Could give you a route home too.
X2 on that route. probably the best scenic route in these parts,
Old 12-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rode from WV to Ottawa and points North and East this past July/August and enjoyed the visit;however, the gas I purchased in Canada was terrible on my HD. Developed really bad "ping" and only way to overcome was with fuel additive I happened to bring along. Did buy some at auto supply store as needed on the trip. I am running high output motor which needs high octane fuel, normally run 93 in it on my home turf, but it sure did not like the Canadian gas. Just a thought and you may well not have any problems at all but I would pack a few bottles of octane boost just in case. All in all great visit and people were very friendly and courteous
Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.