Kids as passenger - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Rides, Rallies, and Riders > Rider Technique and Safety

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Kids as passenger

Hello,

I have made a search in this forum but didn't find anything, so I am going to ask my question.

I wanted to know if those of you who have kids, dare taking them as passengers for more or less long trips. I wonder if you are travelling with your kids, from what age, what kind of trips (school trips, short travels like 100 miles, long travels like over 400 miles) and most importantly what accessories you have installed if any on your bikes (and what bike btw) to do so.

Any feedback or experience is interesting to me. If you did it and decided for instance to never do it again, I am interested in reading why. If you have done it for long without any trouble it is good to know.

On my side, I have 2 kids: one is 12 and the other is 5.
I have not purchased my Harley yet but I am working hard on it! Hopefully it won't be long now.

Thanks.
Sylvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mr. MojoRisen

I take my kids for short rides on the back roads. They like to ride, but get bored after 20 -30 min.
They have their own helmets and gloves, always wear long pants with full shoes. The oldest (11) has her own Harley jacket she wears, and the middle one (8) wears a jacket fitting the weather.
Check the laws in your state, some states requires a passenger to be a certain age.

"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~~James D. Miles

2009 - Road Glide

US NAVY - CPO Retired
P3fltEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rob

I don't have kids...
However, when i was 11 my dad took me for a couple short rides. It was my uncles 1997 Fatboy (the same one I bought from him years later, and still own and ride) and we only went around the block a couple times. I kept bugging him that I wanted to go for a ride, so he took me. Completely stock setup, going slow as hell. I could tell he was afraid I would fall off.
I've ridden with little cousins on my bike, again just for short rides. My rule of thumb for children riding with me is....if they are big enough to reach the passenger pegs and wrap their arms around me they can go.

"Leader of men, teller of tall tales, legend in his own mind, U.S. Marine extraordinaire, stream fordable, air dropable, beer fueled, water cooled, author, history maker, lecturer, traveler, freedom fighter, defender of the faith. Wars fought, tigers tamed, revolutions started, bars emptied, alligators castrated. Let me win your hearts and minds or I'll burn your damn hut down"
a594109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
2OLD4U

Garage
I used to take my kids for rides before they could walk. Hold them on the tank between my legs. Some folks (including myself) question the wisdom in that.

The big concern with kids is falling asleep. If they're old enough to stay awake for the trip, there should be no problem. But if they fall asleep in the car on trips, it's probably not a good idea to be putting them on the bike just yet.

Hlek_52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

My little girl (4 at the time) used to love to sit on my lap while cutting grass on a lawn tractor. Noisy and uncomfortable but she will usually fall asleep in 20 mins or so and I had to hold her real tight when I noticed it. I bet my daughter WILL fall asleep on the back of my bike if I take her on a long ride. I'd take her for a short ride around town to get a ice cream or something but not a long rides.

She is now 13 and keeps begging me to pick her up after school on my bike. Such a show off like her dad... 8) 8)
Junster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junster View Post
I bet my daughter WILL fall asleep on the back of my bike if I take her on a long ride. I'd take her for a short ride around town to get a ice cream or something but not a long rides.
So, with your experience: at what age would you start taking a child on your bike for say 10-15 mn trip like going to school?
Old 01-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
2OLD4U

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvain View Post
So, with your experience: at what age would you start taking a child on your bike for say 10-15 mn trip like going to school?
If your child stays awake in the car on the way to school, she'll stay awake on the bike... i'll be more exciting. At any age. In truth, age isn't as big an issue as size. If they can reach the footpegs, they're good to go. Othwerwise, their feet will have to be in your lap.

Hlek_52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
I wanted to know if those of you who have kids, dare taking them as passengers for more or less long trips. I wonder if you are travelling with your kids, from what age, what kind of trips (school trips, short travels like 100 miles, long travels like over 400 miles) and most importantly what accessories you have installed if any on your bikes (and what bike btw) to do so.

The law in my state, is that in order for any child to ride on a motorcycle as a passenger, their feet must touch the pasenger pegs, while seated correctly on the passenger seat. I have to agree with this 100%. Kids aren't strong enough to hold themselves on with their legs like adults, and upper body strength and hand grip is limited.

I also advocate a sissy bar to keep them in place. I add a small pillow to my sissy bar, to keep my 6 year old closer to me, and not be able to "wander" around too much. One wrap of tape holds it in place, and it's easily removed.

Good fitting helmet and proper clothing, including boots is a must. An adult can brace for impact, but a kid is a living ragdoll that will just tumble down the road, if something bad happens. You're always taking a risk going out on a motorcycle, and it's even more of a risk taking a child with you. That's just the cruel facts.

We did have a thread, where one member had a "harness" that had velcro that kept his daughter tied to him, safely. It was a neat idea.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:

The law in my state, is that in order for any child to ride on a motorcycle as a passenger, their feet must touch the pasenger pegs, while seated correctly on the passenger seat. I have to agree with this 100%. Kids aren't strong enough to hold themselves on with their legs like adults, and upper body strength and hand grip is limited.

I also advocate a sissy bar to keep them in place. I add a small pillow to my sissy bar, to keep my 6 year old closer to me, and not be able to "wander" around too much. One wrap of tape holds it in place, and it's easily removed.

Good fitting helmet and proper clothing, including boots is a must. An adult can brace for impact, but a kid is a living ragdoll that will just tumble down the road, if something bad happens. You're always taking a risk going out on a motorcycle, and it's even more of a risk taking a child with you. That's just the cruel facts.

Texrod has a "harness" that has velcro that kept his daughter tied to him, safely. It was a neat idea.

The thread is here: Riding with kids

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012

Last edited by Dave63; 09-26-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Okay, I start to get a picture.

The link to this equipment is very interesting indeed.

Sorry I did not find the thread. I might have used it.

Please keep coming with your feedbacks and comments. I find them very useful.

Cheers.