New Rider Help - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Rides, Rallies, and Riders > Rider Technique and Safety

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 03:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

Garage
How much do you think the engine guards will help? I just read a few threads and said its a huge help. I was also reading today the using the rear brake during low speed manuvers is the best way. But yet I read another post that discusses using the Friction Zone for low speed manuvers both did however mention that the front break is a NO NO.
deerassassin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
I'll help you hide the body

Thank you for serving.

Well, I will say that you need to learn both. If you use the friction zone you will still need to stop at some point. Some idiot will pull in front of you or decide to stop in your path even at slow maneuvering speeds. You need to learn and master all of the controls on the bike. Don't worry, this comes much easier with practice. Muscle memory will improve and will become second nature. However, never let yourself get over confident. Ride like you are being attacked from all sides. Defensive driving is the key. Always look for and keep a way out.

Never use the front brake unless you are upright and moving in a straight line. Any other time spells instant bad news!

I like the term engine guard, it has a more positive connotation. Im not saying you will never drop her, but think positive man. It is just like anything else you have learned practice, practice, and more practice.

Good luck!

borrowed from gtrman66
Rules:
#1. Post #1: "New to Community"
#2. Buy a HD Service Manual, best $70 you'll spend
#3. Try the search function, we might have already answered your question
#4. Don't post classifieds until you meet the rules
#5. Don't bad mouth dealers until we know you, there are always 2 sides
misinlink is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks for your service!

First off, look where you're going. Your body/brain will do the rest. Basically don't watch the road directly in front of you. You want to always be looking ahead. A quick glance directly in front is fine now and then.

Get in the habit of using both brakes. Front brake preferably while going straight (even though I'm guilty of using it turns, but, gently). Definitely no front brake should you hit gravel. I learned that the hard way.

The hardest things will be low speed manuevers. 15 and under you will want to lean the bike over while you remain upright/counter lean. Do NOT lean with the bike at low speed. You will go down.

I'm typing this on my phone, so I'm going to cut this short. Feel free to ask questions. There's never a stupid question.

2010 FXDWG - 18,363 miles of good times. Gone, but not forgotten.

Creator of the annual Illinois Meth Head run. Because riding isn't fun unless you're tweaking and beating up senior citizens!
AndyG is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #14 (permalink)
Flat Land Redneck

Welcome and thanks for your service. Order a copy of Jerry Pallidino's "Ride Like A Pro" video. You can also find most, if not all of his stuff on You Tube. Just try to stay relaxed, be safe and enjoy. The more you practice , the easier it gets until it becomes second nature. Find a rarely used parking lot or cul de sac for your plp. Get some hi-vis duct tape and lay out some of the exercises in the video. This way you can leave your course or take it up when you're through. The friction zone is your friend. Good luck and happy motoring.
Old Coot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
icy
Padawan

Garage
welcome from Brooklyn, and thanks for your service. all great advice in the previous two pages.

icy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #16 (permalink)

Garage
Old Coot ordered that this morning looking forward to watching it when I get it done. I have read the Alabama motorcycle book like 6 times already, I wish we could get youtube would have saved me some money.
deerassassin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Flat Land Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerassassin22 View Post
Old Coot ordered that this morning looking forward to watching it when I get it done. I have read the Alabama motorcycle book like 6 times already, I wish we could get youtube would have saved me some money.
Old Motorman knows what he's talking about. I had rode motorcycles most of my life, but was away from it for awhile. When I got my RK it took me a minute or two for it to become second nature again. I watched his tape several times and learned something each time. Now I get a kick out of doing PLP.
Old Coot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
Harley Rider

Garage
Welcome. In TX you can download all of the written material for the Riders Edge course. It is probably close to the same anywhere else as well. There is some good info to read there. When you take the course, it will make more sense to you. Practice as much as possible but get the course in asap as you dont want to have to break any bad habits.
TmikeX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

The Motor man can tell you many things you need to know, and yes he can ride like a pro
her20it12age is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgunner1 View Post
All good advise so far. My 2 cents. Take the courses and read everything you can find. Here is a link to a very good video dvd collection to watch https://www.ridelikeapro.com/ and practice, practice, practice. Have fun.

EXCELLENT video. Everyone can learn something watching this. Even better if you can catch one of their training classes.
kg5ie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.