New Rider Help - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Rides, Rallies, and Riders > Rider Technique and Safety

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 05:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
New Rider Help

So while I'm deployed I purchased a 2013 Super Glide Custom as my first motorcycle. I decided to go all out for my first bike instead of buying a new one a few months later. I’m 6ft tall and 180lbs so figured I could handle this sat on a couple bike before I left and liked them. So my plan is to take the Riders Edge Course since Affess is paying for the course and then take the Army Basic Riders course to meet requirements on the Army side of the house. I don't plan on leaving my neighborhood probably for the first month or two practicing turning, breaking, and other stuff as well. I had a "Crash Bar” Engine Guard added on just to be "SAFER" when I drop the bike. So my question do you guys have any things/courses you practice we have some abandon roads and big cul-de-sacs to practice in about 5 blocks from my house. I would like to ride about 1 to 2hrs a day to get up to speed so any information on setups/equipment would be nice. I'm getting a full face helmet, Harley leather with armor, leather gloves and boots and Kevlar reinforced jeans pants, neon yellow vest (Army required).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MyCustomBikeWallpaper_1280_1024.jpg (193.2 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by deerassassin22; 12-01-2012 at 08:29 AM.
deerassassin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Office Linebacker

First, Thanks for serving...
We all appreciate that a lot.

Regarding your questions, practice is everything.
Slow-speed control and maneuverability is a must.
Something called the "Friction Zone" is a must learn for new riders.

Try the "Search" Function to find some good info on this and what and how to practice.

Welcome to the club.
Ride safe.
DeeDay
Old 12-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
Welcome and thanks for your service!.

I didn't learn to ride until later in Life so I did exactly what you are proposing. Practice, practice, practice. I just got out there and rode and then asked lots of questions of my fellow bikers. I rode my bike everywhere and racked up about 9k my first year.

What really helps is what DeeDay suggested is to research riding styles, techniques and safety. Envious of your southern boys that you can ride all year long... Have fun and be safe!

Life Church Riders Group Germantown WI
Riding with our Lord!
Knash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Welcome and thank you for all you do.

I just started riding about a year and a half ago myself, though started with a much smaller bike. Like everyone else has said, practice practice practice. Don't think I even hit the hwy till 2 months later, and that was briefly. I spent most time riding little side streets to work everyday, getting the hang of things.

Good idea on taking the courses, I did and best decision ever, taught me some things I didn't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
D1W1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ive found that 0-10 and 10-0 are the worst areas. Tyr to pull out and stop kinda quick to get past that area fast. Dont wheelie or try to do a stoppy and lock the front up but dont granny pull out or youll be wobbling alot. Once you find the friction zone on the clutch and get past 15mph your good. Go to the motorcycle safety foundation website they have video of the course. Get your waiver through them. I have yet to meet someone that can pass the state riding test on a bike biggrr then a 750cc. Its tough.
2010hdultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

Thank you for your service. Best advice I can give you is educate, and prepare yourself as much as possible. When a rider tells you something listen and stay off the front brake when moving slow... when I say rider I mean someone thats put a lot of time and miles there is no substitute for that. Ya cracked me up "when I drop my bike" don't rush to join that club.. we'll be here when ya do. Be safe.

"Give her full throttle till ya see God... then back off"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezel View Post
Golds bike sounds like a 66' Chevelle. It's amazing.
GotGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

MSF trained, two year, 12k mile rider here. Also watched a few "ride Like a pro" videos and read books like "twist of the wrist." When taking off slowly, no problem if you keep your foot on the brake while feathering the clutch. You will go where you look, so keep your head up and pointed in the direction you want to go. Under 15mph counter balance; over 15mph counter steer. Straighten out before using the front brake. I think if you get good at slow maneuvers, the rest will take care of itself. The experts will be along shortly to fill in the blanks.
psgthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

All good advise so far. My 2 cents. Take the courses and read everything you can find. Here is a link to a very good video dvd collection to watch https://www.ridelikeapro.com/ and practice, practice, practice. Have fun.
“Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work. I think, "It is better to drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
- Babe Ruth
Tailgunner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks, I love what I do because of people like ya'll who care. Yeah I'm not scared to admit it will hit the ground I'm a realist sometimes hopefully "knocking on wood" I should be fine with the areas I have near my house practice shouldn't be any problems. As some have suggested I Ihave been reading alot lately about the "friction zone" which makes sense like driving a stick shift car. I think what worries/nervous is making slow turns for some reason. The good thing about the south is we can ride almost all year I'm originally from Lake Geneva Wisconsin and boy some guys would last well into december some years crazy cold. I also just ordered "Learn How to Ride the Easy Way" off ridelikeapro.com
deerassassin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you indeed for your service! My advice is supported by the previous post above but cannot stress enough, common sense and defensive driving skills and ALWAYS anticipate idiots on the road trying to kill you due to not seeing, on cell phones, texting and just being cagers! Ride safe and always leave yourself an out when situations arise!
SoFlo Rider is offline   Reply With Quote