vibration. - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Softail General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

vibration.

I have had my first Harley, Fat Boy Lo, for about a month and I am trying to ride as much as possible. (Only put 150 miles so far ).
My question is about vibration. At highway speed (for me its speed limit-65) in 5th gear, my feet can feel the vibration on the floor pegs. It is a "fine" vibration that almost tickles the bottom of my feet. I feel the same thing on my handle bars.

Not having owned a HD before, and hearing different things about vibration, does the above sound normal to you or should I get it checked?
pauld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Northern Redneck

Might be a balance on your tires...new tires can do this too...

You can Sleep when ur Dead...

Baggers RULE !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTrb4YGkSOU

HERD Member # 000015
Blackdog 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Balanced engine ... shouldn't be vibrations like you say . Could be tires as said .
Old 11-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

It's normal on my Night Train. At lower rpm's there's almost no vibration. I think you're just feeling the Softail "buzz".

Dyna's and Touring HD's are the opposite. They vibrate like crazy at idle but smooth out quickly when moving.
BoomerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Northern Redneck

stock HD tires(Dunlop) are known for going out of balance/cupping/etc....I had some vibration and cupping issues till I switched to Metzlers....

You can Sleep when ur Dead...

Baggers RULE !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTrb4YGkSOU

HERD Member # 000015
Blackdog 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

You could try some dyna beads in the tires....might take care of it.
Good Luck....Pete
kc5gxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hmm...might be the "buzz". When I up the rpms...i get the vibration IF I am moving..
Example..2nd gear at 35mph...i get the vibration...same in 5th gear at 65
Old 11-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

at 150 miles, it's likely that it's not tires, cupping of tires or otherwise. Chances are, at highway speeds, or even less then highway speeds, it's due to the ubber lean a/f mixture.

One of the things i've noticed with umpteen bikes that I've owned, worked on, or both, is that once you fatten the air/fuel mixture from factory settings, most vibrations in the bike disappear.

Just sayin'...

Then again.....if this is your FIRST harley.....this ain't no jap bike. It vibrates.

They're not called "Milwaukee Vibrators" for nothing..........

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah, and thats the point. My FIRST HD. Its not a complaint. Its me wanting to know everything I can.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Trade School Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld View Post
I have had my first Harley, Fat Boy Lo, for about a month and I am trying to ride as much as possible. (Only put 150 miles so far ).
My question is about vibration. At highway speed (for me its speed limit-65) in 5th gear, my feet can feel the vibration on the floor pegs. It is a "fine" vibration that almost tickles the bottom of my feet. I feel the same thing on my handle bars.

Not having owned a HD before, and hearing different things about vibration, does the above sound normal to you or should I get it checked?
Check the air pressure in the tires.

My '07 Custom doesn't do that at any speed.

Al
Stock CVO 110 Mufflers, K&N A/C, Stock Heads, SE 103" BB kit, Andrews 26H Cams, Mustang wide Touring Seat, Stock Bars, H-D Oil Cooler, 1990's LeatherWorks inc Saddle Bags & Modified HD Deluxe Guards, H-D Luggage rack, H-D Windshield, SE Fork Brace, SE Comp, Thunder Max A/T, S&S Lifters, Zipper's dual piston tensioners, Progressive Mono tubes & 422 Shocks, SCRC 524
Bagger set up to ride comfortably
Eleft36 is offline   Reply With Quote