Changing out the starter - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Softail General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
TAS
Slave to the grind

Changing out the starter

Well, it looks like my starter took a dump. Going to pick a new All Balls starter this evening. Any tips and tricks to changing it out that the manual won't list? Special tools etc...?

Got the gaskets and fluids ready to go. I know I have to get a 1/4" drive allen tip set.

USN 87-97 AMS-2 (AW)
13 Fatboy Lo Candy Orange
94 FLSTC Silver/white
98 Jeep TJ w/ a few things done to it.
TAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Yes , you don't have to remove the whole clutch / comp. sprocket assy. . Just remove the clutch retainer nut and slide the clutch out on the shaft far enough to get the starter drive assy. pulled out . You're just doing the starter not the whole dang inner primary unless ya got leaks , then this is the time to go at them too .
Old 12-22-2010, 05:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
TAS
Slave to the grind

I dove into this last night. I got the starter loose but, there's NO WAY that mutha's coming outta there w/ out pulling the oil tank! I've got the tank loose but, that still doesn't give enough room to get it out. I'll pull the tank this evening. I've got the crimp type hose clamps on the oil lines. What's everybody replacing those with? Thanks for the assist.

USN 87-97 AMS-2 (AW)
94 FLSTC Silver/white
Old 12-22-2010, 06:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Go to Autozone/PepBoys and buy Fuel Injection hose clamps. They sorround the hose 100% and don't have serrated teeth like regular fuel line clamps and won't cut the hose when tightening it. Used a 6mm socket or a straight bladed screwdriver.

Bought mine in black. Also come in plain silver.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Oh , you've got a Softail , I missed that important diddy . The battery box oil tank has to be unbolted and the two top lines removed . Use a long screwdriver to pry the harness up high enough to slip the tank out the right side . Let the tank hang from the drain hose and put some rags on the pipes to avoid scratches . It's easier to get to the rear tank bolts if you drop the shield in front of the rear tire .
Do a search on Softail starters cause there's more threads about how it's done .
Old 12-22-2010, 06:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
TAS
Slave to the grind

Good to know, thanks.

USN 87-97 AMS-2 (AW)
94 FLSTC Silver/white
Old 12-22-2010, 08:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
evohogfarts

on my 95 sofftail just had to losen the oil tank bolts, took off the battery cable by going though the battery box. It was a tight fit , but did change it with out pulling the tank. The cable mounting stud on the starter had to be turned just right to the front right bottom corner and lift the tank up enough.
ltrhdevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
TAS
Slave to the grind

I tried every way I could think of to get that starter twisted around. It just does not have to room to do it. I'll look at it again when I get home. Fresh eyes and ideas always seems to help. Thanks

USN 87-97 AMS-2 (AW)
94 FLSTC Silver/white
Old 12-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
TGPNW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
Go to Autozone/PepBoys and buy Fuel Injection hose clamps. They sorround the hose 100% and don't have serrated teeth like regular fuel line clamps and won't cut the hose when tightening it. Used a 6mm socket or a straight bladed screwdriver.

Bought mine in black. Also come in plain silver.

Very good advise........
93horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
TAS
Slave to the grind

Well, I got it finished, Along the way I got into the "while I'm in here" mode. lol All in all, it took about 5 hours. Like anything else, I could get it done faster next time. I DID have to take out the oil tank and it was all down hill from there. lol Thanks for the assist w/ all of this.

USN 87-97 AMS-2 (AW)
94 FLSTC Silver/white