tapping into the electrical power - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Softail General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

tapping into the electrical power

I want to add some accessories to my 06 Heritage. Where is a good place to tap into switched power for a GPS, etc.
alhatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

best place is at the battery. some get a plug that connects to the battery tender plug and make a connection there. make sure and fuse any hot wire that you come off of the battery with.
www.dobeckperformance.com
www.electronicjetkit.com
www.raptorperformance.com
#00013 1996 ZX9R Kawasaki
big worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, but I want switched power, so that it is off when the bike is not running.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

in that case it would be a good idea to get a manual for your bike and find an ignition "on" circuit, wire a relay in it and power what ever it is you like. pretty easy. i'd also recommend you using the search button at the top of the forum page.
www.dobeckperformance.com
www.electronicjetkit.com
www.raptorperformance.com
#00013 1996 ZX9R Kawasaki
big worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhatten View Post
I want to add some accessories to my 06 Heritage. Where is a good place to tap into switched power for a GPS, etc.
Use the harness accy. connector , it's located in the frame cavity in front of the battery . Usually a grey connector with a rubber plug in it .
Oops , Softail ! The accy. plug is next to the battery , it's got a rubber plug in it . Not to be confused with the data link connector attached to a lug on the frame on the left .

Last edited by SCHMIDTYS; 12-24-2010 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Added info
SCHMIDTYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

the plug next to the battery is always hot, not switched
Old 12-25-2010, 12:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
www.bcvtwin.com

accessory power is orange with white stripe at any point it is fused and switched .ignition off so is acc .
so if you trace your headlight wiring down under the tank you will find the plug it will have a black, yellow, white, and an orange with white stripe tap into it there and run it straight up to the gps
ill get pic i just hooked up spots the same way on my bones
the big plug on bottom is where i got the orange /white t make the smaller plug on top left for the front fender light and the yellow goes to the single plug in middle sorta for trigger on spots..if i can do it so can you
colonelangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks!
Old 12-25-2010, 06:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Also , if you don't feel like running wires under your tank , pull your headlamp out and locate the 2 HDI accy. wires . The HDI wires , O/W and BLK are usually taped to the headlamp harness and are capped , only used on International model H-Ds . The HDI O/W wire is on the accy . fuse and is switched with the ignition .
Old 12-25-2010, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks, that sounds even better. I am trying to get switched power for a GPS. Hopefully there will be enough room in the light bucket for the lighter plug so that I can have a clean installation.