2006 FLSTN Deluxe start and running problems - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
2006 FLSTN Deluxe start and running problems

Hi all

Have a 2006 Softail Deluxe and since last august (2016) the bike is with in the garage at local mechanic.
Here's the sequence of events, errors messages and a list of work done to-date by my mechanic with the problem not solved.

Have had the bike 2 years now (changed from XLH Sportster to this, the one that I've always wanted...) After doing some initial custom work with new paint job and new leather work done, all was going well and life was good...Every ride out a pure joy and pleasure.

During one of my trips along the irish south east coast, one day I noticed an increased fuel consumption.

This was followed by starting difficulties, then very high idle at traffic lights, then cutting out during the ride and starting again.

After initially talking to my mechanic he suggested checking out the error codes on the odometer.

Done that and error code P0107 came up.

Have cleared this as per instructions. The bike would start ok. Then during the ride she would cut-out and back fire again.

This happened a few times. Clearing the error code didn't work after awhile which is when the bike went to the garage.

First thing that was done was replace the MAP sensor.
The bike would start ok, run beautifully (mechanic went out on test runs a few times like that and was happy she performed well during the ride out, at idling etc.

When the bike came back to the garage, stopped the engine, left for awhile and then started again - the same thing happened i.e. she would have difficulty starting, engine light came on. She eventually would start but the whole high-idle will start again, missing beats, cutting out during the run, etc.

This with NEW MAP Sensor in. (as the P0107 Error code would indicate to go and check out)

Mechanic had then re-calibrated the software with the new MAP sensor in, she would start OK, run smoothly on test rides.

After stopping, turning engine off and re-starting after - let's say 20 minutes - the same thing would happen gain. Error code P01017 would show up as well. Same symptoms throughout.

The MAP Sensor has been replaced again with another new one, just in case the first new one was faulty for some reason.

What followed was the same problems, the same symptoms:

1. replace map sensor, re-calibrate bike software with new sensor, start ok, run ok, idle ok, stop engine, turn off engine. leave for awhile (this could be half hour, half day or so until next time the mechanic would want to start the bike. Then she would start with great difficulty, engine light would be on, eventually she would cut-out and not start anymore.

2. SNAP-ON Tools with all pro diagnostics had been brought in.
All tests were done (so am told) - re-calibration of bike done to clear the system.

New ECU was installed, re-calibrated, re-boot system etc. The bike was starting again ok, run fine on first test run after start. After engine stop etc. and try to re-start the same thing happened.
SO it wasn't the new ECU.

Then my old ECU was put back in again, re-calibrated, re-boot system etc. Bike starts ok, runs fine, until the next time he tried to start.

Erro code P0107 shows up again.

At this stage we had replaced the MAP sensor twice, the ECU twice, followed by the system re-boots etc.

After discussing with others, mechanic now put in Throttle Position sensor from a different softail of the same year which was working perfect on that bike.
He re-calibrated the system etc, started the bike. She started ok again, was left running on the bench for quite some time. Turned the engine off and was left until the next day.

At re-start the same thing happened again. The whole story is repeated.

This is now 7 Months since she went into the garage (the problems related above started roughly in July 2015.)

So to recap: after error code P01017 appeared and combination of symptoms of difficulty starting, spluttering while riding, high idle, cutting out while riding, higher fuel consumption noticed, the following had been changed/replaced wiht new ones:

1. Map Sensor
2. ECU
3. Throttle position sensor
4. Crank shaft sensor.

All these replacements were followed by re-calibration, re-boots, test runs etc.

The bike is still in the garage and not with me.
It is now so frustrating for both the mechanic, who is a very knowledgeable guy an very reputable. He's tearing his hair out.

And I have no bike!!!

By the way - the mechanic is not a main HD dealer, has been in the business for over 30 years and very highly regarded in the trade and great experience with Harleys. He also spoke with a colleague in one of the HD Dealerships in Ireland and that guy said that he has done exactly what they would have done also. They would have just replaced all sensors also, re-calibrated etc. The fact that my guy also brought in the Snap-on Tools guy, ran those highly sophisticated diagnostics, re-calibrations etc. was also an indication - to the HD guy - that all the correct procedures were followed.

We are now really desperate.

Can anybody help please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:49 AM
Negative Ghost Rider

Did anyone check for an INTAKE leak?

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.
~ Humphrey Bogart
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:26 AM

I had a broken wire to a sensor that caused pretty much the same problems. Sometimes the bike ran great, other times same kind of symptoms you have.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:32 AM
Wayward Son

What they said.

Start tracing wires.
Intake leak is easy enough to check for.

One more idea out of left field. Check for an exhaust leak at the heads.
They can suck cold air into the head the same as an intake leak.

People are why I love my Dog and my Harley.

You want blood? You got it!
The first one is the hardest.
G.F.T.D.

Valhalla I am coming.
You`ve been, Thunder~Struck !
A.T.W.
You can have your funky world. See ya round.

I.L.M.O. Rolo
04/03/14-07/27/16
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:58 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
Check the pin crimp in the MAP sensor connector. I've found that the electrical connector pins can get over crimped and actually cut the wire next to the crimp.
Hold the connector and pull on each wire, if the wire seems to stretch the crimp cut the wire.
The engine can run because the wire is still touching but the vibration can make the wire move enough to break the connection.

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks mislink

Not sure, but will ask the question.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Thunder~Struck

Not sure if intake leak was checked for, but will pass on and see.
Will post updates here, hopefully the main good one SOON.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks SCHMIDTY

Interesting you mention this, have spoken only last weekend with another fella who told me a similar story.
Will pass on this suggestion also and report back.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Phdharley50

It could be just a simple thing thing such as that. At this stage we believe it must be something simple, am told thought that all wires to sensors have been checked, unless some kink was overlooked.
Will try again.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:00 PM

Garage
Do a pressure test on the fuel pump, should be about 55 to 60 psi. It will cause all sort of problems (missing, backfiring, throwing codes, hard starting,) if you have low pressure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode