04 Night Train- tail light/running lights not working - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dan89flstc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

04 Night Train- tail light/running lights not working

I am hoping someone can help figure this out??? Recently bought bike, signal lights and brake light works fine. Tail light and running lights don't work at all??? Checked the fuse, checked wiring connections but didn't see any issues. The lights are LED's so I am not sure if there is a fusible link somewhere or what the issue is??? Can anyone tell me what to do? I have been working on it for a few days and am totally baffled!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:39 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
Unplug the LED ballast and plug the harness back together as stock to see what happens. If lights function at all the ballast is bad.

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:54 AM

We just went thru this with wife's Road King. Her "high/low" switch was bad, dealer corrected it, (was under warranty), but also, could be starter switch has dirt in it now allowing switch to operate properly. The headlight and running lights are off when the starter switch is engaged. Good Luck

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newscnels View Post
We just went thru this with wife's Road King. Her "high/low" switch was bad, dealer corrected it, (was under warranty), but also, could be starter switch has dirt in it now allowing switch to operate properly. The headlight and running lights are off when the starter switch is engaged. Good Luck
The bike being discussed is an `04 Softail...

The problem has nothing to do with the starter switch or the high beam/low beam switch.

The running light circuit is directly powered by the lights fuse, there is no switch in this circuit.

Also, the headlight does not go out when the starter is engaged, the headlight circuit is powered by the headlamp circuit through the hi/low beam switch, which is directly fed by the headlamp fuse.

Rodteg: You say you checked the connections, what did you actually do? Have you checked for system voltage at the blue wire in the connections?

Did you check for power at the output side of the fuse?
SCHMIDTY likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:51 PM
Frozen Member

I just had to learn this circuit myself. My problem is apparently a blue wire shorting to ground between the harness neck connection and the front signals that was causing the fuse to blow.

Dan's right. For some reason the headlight circuit is also a blue wire but a totally separate circuit from the blue wire circuit marked "lights" at the fuse block. The only place the "light" circuit goes is to to the tail light and to the front turn signals. Its one of the simplest circuits on the bike.

Do you have a meter or test light? One is needed to do more than a look and wiggle. The only things you can tell without one are to look at the fuse and if thats really good, the front signals should be lit as running lights, not just working as blinkers.

If you do have one, this circuit is switched so the ignition switch has to be on to test past the fuse block. As Dan said, 1st check for voltage at the fuse block and also make sure your fuse is actually good. Sometimes a fuse will be bad without looking blown. If those check ok, check for power on the blue wire at the harness connection to the rear fender. If you have that, I would suspect the LED ballast as Scmidty said, or the blue wire in between the harness connection and the tail light. If your brake light works the ground is good.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Faulty fuse

Thank you very much -naknekpete- the fuse looked fine but when I tested it with multimeter it proved faulty. I would have never guessed to even check that!!!! My wife thanks you as well, guess I was getting a little grumpy??? Lol.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:26 PM
Frozen Member

Youre welcome, glad I could help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode