Ape Hangers??? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Ape Hangers???

Looking for Pro's and Con's, comments and suggestions:

Love the look of the Roland Sands 16" Ape Hangers. Never rode a bike with ape hangers but always loved the look. What do you think??

Also, considering a detachable windshield for longer trips. Does a windshield make a difference as it relates to ape hangers??

I have a 2012 Fat Boy Lo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 Fat Boy Lo_Pipe Side.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	3.25 MB
ID:	591210   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 Fat Boy Lo_Engine Side.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	591218  

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,
the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:02 PM

Windshields make a difference for longer rides. Go to a Harley Dealer and ride used bikes with apes and see if you like them.
JTJ likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:22 PM
Frozen Member

I think it would be a good idea to test ride a bike at a dealer that has some. My first Sportster many years ago had really tall apes when I got it and I hated them. Tall apes arent for everybody, just as beach bars or drag bars dont work for some people. Coming from the bars you have you should have no problem making the adjustment if you want to go that direction though.

IMO a windshield with tall apes looks funny, but apes, depending on how you set them and how long your arms are, will have most people sitting more upright. That can actually be beneficial by getting your head closer to the windshield and out of the turbulence zone, but depending on your height and the windshield height that can also put you back into the bug eating zone.

I usually keep the windshield on my Deluxe because its saved me from taking many many big bugs and a few rocks in the face wearing my 1/2 helmet. Tall apes and windshields are really "to each his own" or "whatever works for YOU" kinds of things.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:08 AM

Garage
One thing to consider-- The effective height of the bars. The Fat Boy is a softail and the Low has a lower seating position than the touring bikes (and possibly the Dynas as well). That may make the 16s "feel" even taller. This is a decision that extra research pays off on.

--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"There's no sensation to compare with this
Suspended animation, a state of bliss
" --Pink Floyd
** This line seems to come to mind often while I'm riding.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing." --Oliver Wendell Holmes

"And miles to go before I sleep
...and miles to go before I sleep." -- Robert Frost

If you give up drinking, you don't live longer...it just seems longer
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:22 AM
Swollen Member

Garage
I found them to be comfortable for riding but I did not have the confidence of managing hazards. I had reduced confidence in both stopping fast and extreme swerving situations when compared to a beach or drag type handlebar. That alone will talk me out of ever committing to a bike with Apes. Maybe more time and practice was all that was needed, I am fine not knowing
JLR likes this.

"Men can only be highly civilized while other men, inevitably less civilized, are there to guard them" - George Orwell
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:00 AM

Garage
Mine are really just mini-to-moderate 12.5 inches. They give me the look and comfort I want but still have a little bend in my elbows which, IMO, allow for good maneuverability. I've never gotten in a bind with them.

--

"There's no sensation to compare with this
Suspended animation, a state of bliss
" --Pink Floyd
** This line seems to come to mind often while I'm riding.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing." --Oliver Wendell Holmes

"And miles to go before I sleep
...and miles to go before I sleep." -- Robert Frost

If you give up drinking, you don't live longer...it just seems longer
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:04 AM
Evil Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
Mine are really just mini-to-moderate 12.5 inches. They give me the look and comfort I want but still have a little bend in my elbows which, IMO, allow for good maneuverability. I've never gotten in a bind with them.

--

I have 12 inch on mine. The most comfortable bars I ever had. I considered taller, but happy I went with these.

American by birth, Texan by choice.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:14 AM
Swollen Member

Garage
Man, your neighbor's fence has a huge hole. Someone should let him know.

"Men can only be highly civilized while other men, inevitably less civilized, are there to guard them" - George Orwell
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:24 AM
The Angry One

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
One thing to consider-- The effective height of the bars. The Fat Boy is a softail and the Low has a lower seating position than the touring bikes (and possibly the Dynas as well). That may make the 16s "feel" even taller. This is a decision that extra research pays off on.

--

This is the best advice so far. A seat can change everything, and throw you out of your comfort spot. I run 16's on my Road Glide, and wouldn't trade them for the world. AS far as handling goes, and/or maneuvering, there is zero difference once you become accustomed to them.

I'd take a ride to as many dealers as you can, hit up their used department, and find a bike with bars with the height you like, don't get stuck on a number. 16's might be great for one guy, but 14's may work better for you. Different aftermarket bars will measure slightly different as well. Make sure you have the seat you WANT, before you commit, as this will change things.
Silverback likes this.

2017 Collision 2017 T shirt order form:
https://www.customink.com/g/qwm0-00ay-r3wj

Harley Forum Meet and Greet Videos a.k.a The Collision

Collision 2013
http://youtu.be/yW0nzq94R1Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0skr19KrE4

Collision 2014
Part 1
http://youtu.be/kPlrihpSU1I
Part 2
http://youtu.be/AjYGg6W7hoQ
Part 3
http://youtu.be/YsIc4Cyh35c

Collision 2015
Part 1
https://youtu.be/-1Hjdaofx4Y
Part 2
https://youtu.be/II_HXcLdh9M
Part 3
https://youtu.be/_3LzruACGzY

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:50 AM
JLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ematicic View Post
I found them to be comfortable for riding but I did not have the confidence of managing hazards. I had reduced confidence in both stopping fast and extreme swerving situations when compared to a beach or drag type handlebar. That alone will talk me out of ever committing to a bike with Apes. Maybe more time and practice was all that was needed, I am fine not knowing
I couldn't agree more. The taller the bar the less leverage you have when you need it in a emergency (the front end getting squirrely from braking or sand or just a quick maneuver). The way we used to decide on bar height without a shield or fairing, was to decide at what speed you usually ride. The wind at that speed should hold you in a neutral position. That is, not leaning with much pressure on the bars and not having to hold tight and pull against the bars. Obviously, the faster you ride the lower the bars. With a fairing or shield higher bars can be used.

Jim

2007 FLHTCUSE2
S.E. 10.5:1 pistons, S.E. 251 cams, S.E. pro tuner
Big Sucker ll, Rinehart True Duals

1977 Triumph Bonneville Silver Jubilee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode