Slip-ons Without Turning? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
SoundMan

Slip-ons Without Turning?

I have a 2017 Softail Slim and on Monday I am having the dealer install Screamin' Eagle Street Canon Slip-ons. (those and a windshield were negotiated for free when I purchased the bike) For now I'm sticking with the stock air kit. Does anyone have this setup without adding an ECM tuner? If so are you happy with the bikes performance? Also, in the Harley website description they state that adding the Street Canon Slip-ons requires recalibration with the Screaming' Eagle Pro Street Tuner. Should I expect the dealer to flash my bike or will they just install the slip-ons an leave the tuning as is? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 10:29 AM
HowardH

To tune or not to tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusa39 View Post
Also, in the Harley website description they state that adding the Street Canon Slip-ons requires recalibration with the Screaming' Eagle Pro Street Tuner. Should I expect the dealer to flash my bike or will they just install the slip-ons an leave the tuning as is?
If the moco website states that "recalibration is required" I would expect the dealer to indeed re-tune. The problem is, how would you know if they do tune your bike.
Sorry, I guess my stealership attitude is showing. Good luck with the new bike.
gusa39 and tekslk like this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 10:37 AM
Frozen Member

Post back what they do as regards the flash. I dont know for sure but I'm expecting that you will be told you have to buy a Pro Street tuner if you want the map changed. If you do get a new map though it would make sense to go ahead and upgrade the air filter too.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 11:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
I have a 2017 Softail Slim and on Monday I am having the dealer install Screamin' Eagle Street Canon Slip-ons. (those and a windshield were negotiated for free when I purchased the bike) For now I'm sticking with the stock air kit. Does anyone have this setup without adding an ECM tuner? If so are you happy with the bikes performance? Also, in the Harley website description they state that adding the Street Canon Slip-ons requires recalibration with the Screaming' Eagle Pro Street Tuner. Should I expect the dealer to flash my bike or will they just install the slip-ons an leave the tuning as is? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Don't want to sound like a smart arse but why not just call and ask them
gusa39 likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
SoundMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHEhsc View Post
I don't like talking on the phone.
OHEhsc likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHEhsc View Post
I don't like talking on the phone.
I would call and find out before Monday.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 04:34 PM
American

Usually adding just slip ons doesn't require retune..... maybe Harley's street cannons are different. Or maybe they say that to get you to spend money. If you choose to flash with street tuner.... as stated you might as well go ahead and upgrade air intake..... at that point a retune is needed! Sorry, just don't have a good answer for HD mufflers..... never used em!
67Duce, gusa39 and Jimmers like this.

2013 Ultra Classic
Midnight Pearl/Brilliant Silver Pearl
SE Pro Tuner, SE Ventilator AC
RC Component Mufflers
Fullsac Head Pipe
Dyno tuned
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
SoundMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpassh2o View Post
maybe Harley's street cannons are different. Or maybe they say that to get you to spend money. !
I think you hit the nail on the head
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:47 PM

Generally adding different mufflers doesn't require a tune! A Screaming Eagle tuner costs a lot of $$$. I would be hesitant on getting one, but like Jeff said...you may as well ad a new air intake and take the bike to Stage 1. depends on what money you want to spend.

If you add the new street cannons ride it for about an hour or two and check the color of your spark plugs. Light tan is what you're looking for. White is too lean and dark or black is too rich. Don't run it long on too lean...get it tuned! Just sayin'...
jpassh2o and tlg1100 like this.

2015 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
Mysterious Red Sunglo/Blackened Cayenne Sunglo
Stage 4 Kit
ThunderMax Tuner
Vance & Hines True Duals
RC Component mufflers
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
SoundMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmers View Post
Generally adding different mufflers doesn't require a tune! A Screaming Eagle tuner costs a lot of $$$. I would be hesitant on getting one, but like Jeff said...you may as well ad a new air intake and take the bike to Stage 1. depends on what money you want to spend.

If you add the new street cannons ride it for about an hour or two and check the color of your spark plugs. Light tan is what you're looking for. White is too lean and dark or black is too rich. Don't run it long on too lean...get it tuned! Just sayin'...
Thanks I'll take your advice. As far as the Stage 1 kit and the Tuner goes since I just bought the bike I'm short on cash now. I plan on adding the Stage 1 air kit and the Tuner later on. I was able to get the dealer to throw in the Street Cannons and a windshield for free that's why I'm getting the exhaust added now before I add the bigger air kit. I'll talk to the service Dept on Monday. If they won't tune it and they say I should then I'll see if they'll give me the exhaust this way I can install them later on when I add the Stage 1 and tuner
JLR likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode