Slip-ons Without Turning? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
SoundMan
 
gusa39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NY
Posts: 538
Slip-ons Without Turning?

I have a 2017 Softail Slim and on Monday I am having the dealer install Screamin' Eagle Street Canon Slip-ons. (those and a windshield were negotiated for free when I purchased the bike) For now I'm sticking with the stock air kit. Does anyone have this setup without adding an ECM tuner? If so are you happy with the bikes performance? Also, in the Harley website description they state that adding the Street Canon Slip-ons requires recalibration with the Screaming' Eagle Pro Street Tuner. Should I expect the dealer to flash my bike or will they just install the slip-ons an leave the tuning as is? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
gusa39 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 10:29 AM
HowardH
 
howardh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 105
To tune or not to tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusa39 View Post
Also, in the Harley website description they state that adding the Street Canon Slip-ons requires recalibration with the Screaming' Eagle Pro Street Tuner. Should I expect the dealer to flash my bike or will they just install the slip-ons an leave the tuning as is?
If the moco website states that "recalibration is required" I would expect the dealer to indeed re-tune. The problem is, how would you know if they do tune your bike.
Sorry, I guess my stealership attitude is showing. Good luck with the new bike.
gusa39 and tekslk like this.
howardh is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 10:37 AM
Frozen Member
 
naknekpete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: The only state bigger than Texas
Posts: 1,909
Post back what they do as regards the flash. I dont know for sure but I'm expecting that you will be told you have to buy a Pro Street tuner if you want the map changed. If you do get a new map though it would make sense to go ahead and upgrade the air filter too.
naknekpete is online now  
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 11:15 AM
Senior Member
 
OHEhsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,778
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusa39 View Post
I have a 2017 Softail Slim and on Monday I am having the dealer install Screamin' Eagle Street Canon Slip-ons. (those and a windshield were negotiated for free when I purchased the bike) For now I'm sticking with the stock air kit. Does anyone have this setup without adding an ECM tuner? If so are you happy with the bikes performance? Also, in the Harley website description they state that adding the Street Canon Slip-ons requires recalibration with the Screaming' Eagle Pro Street Tuner. Should I expect the dealer to flash my bike or will they just install the slip-ons an leave the tuning as is? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Don't want to sound like a smart arse but why not just call and ask them
gusa39 likes this.
OHEhsc is online now  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
SoundMan
 
gusa39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NY
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHEhsc View Post
Don't want to sound like a smart arse but why not just call and ask them
I don't like talking on the phone.
OHEhsc likes this.
gusa39 is online now  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 04:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Phdharley50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cowtown
Posts: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusa39 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHEhsc View Post
Don't want to sound like a smart arse but why not just call and ask them
I don't like talking on the phone.
I would call and find out before Monday.
Phdharley50 is online now  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 04:34 PM
American
 
jpassh2o's Avatar
Usually adding just slip ons doesn't require retune..... maybe Harley's street cannons are different. Or maybe they say that to get you to spend money. If you choose to flash with street tuner.... as stated you might as well go ahead and upgrade air intake..... at that point a retune is needed! Sorry, just don't have a good answer for HD mufflers..... never used em!
67Duce, gusa39 and Jimmers like this.

2013 Ultra Classic
Midnight Pearl/Brilliant Silver Pearl
SE Pro Tuner, SE Ventilator AC
RC Component Mufflers
Fullsac Head Pipe
Dyno tuned
jpassh2o is online now  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
SoundMan
 
gusa39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NY
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpassh2o View Post
maybe Harley's street cannons are different. Or maybe they say that to get you to spend money. !
I think you hit the nail on the head
gusa39 is online now  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:47 PM
Member
 
Jimmers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,071
Generally adding different mufflers doesn't require a tune! A Screaming Eagle tuner costs a lot of $$$. I would be hesitant on getting one, but like Jeff said...you may as well ad a new air intake and take the bike to Stage 1. depends on what money you want to spend.

If you add the new street cannons ride it for about an hour or two and check the color of your spark plugs. Light tan is what you're looking for. White is too lean and dark or black is too rich. Don't run it long on too lean...get it tuned! Just sayin'...
jpassh2o and tlg1100 like this.

2015 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
Mysterious Red Sunglo/Blackened Cayenne Sunglo
Stage 4 Kit
ThunderMax Tuner
Vance & Hines True Duals
RC Component mufflers
Jimmers is online now  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
SoundMan
 
gusa39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NY
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmers View Post
Generally adding different mufflers doesn't require a tune! A Screaming Eagle tuner costs a lot of $$$. I would be hesitant on getting one, but like Jeff said...you may as well ad a new air intake and take the bike to Stage 1. depends on what money you want to spend.

If you add the new street cannons ride it for about an hour or two and check the color of your spark plugs. Light tan is what you're looking for. White is too lean and dark or black is too rich. Don't run it long on too lean...get it tuned! Just sayin'...
Thanks I'll take your advice. As far as the Stage 1 kit and the Tuner goes since I just bought the bike I'm short on cash now. I plan on adding the Stage 1 air kit and the Tuner later on. I was able to get the dealer to throw in the Street Cannons and a windshield for free that's why I'm getting the exhaust added now before I add the bigger air kit. I'll talk to the service Dept on Monday. If they won't tune it and they say I should then I'll see if they'll give me the exhaust this way I can install them later on when I add the Stage 1 and tuner
JLR likes this.
gusa39 is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome