Extended swingarm. - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Softail General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Extended swingarm.

Time to personalize my ride. I'm soon to embark on a project on my 1998 Fatboy. One of a few mods I'm planning for her. This one will be the most involved mod. At least for now. My plan is to install a custom swingarm to extend the wheel base by 8". No fat tire. Just kicking the stock wheel back a bit. In addition to the extended swingarm itself. At minimum it will require modding the rear fender, relocating the back brake lights, tag bracket, and turn signals, a Belt to Chain Conversion, a custom back brake line, and switching to a Dyna style rear brake system. To that end I'm writing to find out if a stock softail rear caliper will fit on to a stock Dyna rear caliper mount of the same year.

I'm still planning this thing out to be sure I have the $$$ and proper parts and tools to do this right. Any advice as always is appreciated.

Jonathan

Dollar for the drink. Dollar for the honey. Burning a hole. Gotta spend my girl money.

KIX
Jon_Fatboy_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Fatboy_P View Post
Time to personalize my ride. I'm soon to embark on a project on my 1998 Fatboy. One of a few mods I'm planning for her. This one will be the most involved mod. At least for now. My plan is to install a custom swingarm to extend the wheel base by 8". No fat tire. Just kicking the stock wheel back a bit. In addition to the extended swingarm itself. At minimum it will require modding the rear fender, relocating the back brake lights, tag bracket, and turn signals, a Belt to Chain Conversion, a custom back brake line, and switching to a Dyna style rear brake system. To that end I'm writing to find out if a stock softail rear caliper will fit on to a stock Dyna rear caliper mount of the same year.
I'm still planning this thing out to be sure I have the $$$ and proper parts and tools to do this right. Any advice as always is appreciated.

Jonathan
Never Mind. Thanks to a link Dave63 used to help a fellow member I was able to find the answer to my question. The link was to New Rock Harley Davidson. The answer to my question is yes. The part number for the rear caliper for my Fatboy and the equivelent year Dyna are the same. Thank you Dave.

Looking back on my post I guess it was filled with alot of TMI, or at least thats what I'm calling it. My bad. From now on just the basic question unless somone willing to help asks for more info. I'll leave the details of projects to those who members like to read. Such as Rockerbox1. BTW I hope your new bike build is going well. Warm weather is so close.

Jonathan

Dollar for the drink. Dollar for the honey. Burning a hole. Gotta spend my girl money.

KIX
Old 03-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Okay Jon Fatboy P , the first problem I see with the 8" swingarm extend is the shocks . The added leverage from the extension is going to overstress the shocks allowing the rear suspension to bottom very easy .
Before cutting and welding the swingarm I would investigate finding suitable shock replacements or if there are stiffer springs available for the shock inners . If not then the only other option I can think of off hand would be to replace the shocks with struts making it a hard riding rigid suspension .
Old 03-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Addicted Since 2010

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTYS View Post
Okay Jon Fatboy P , the first problem I see with the 8" swingarm extend is the shocks . The added leverage from the extension is going to overstress the shocks allowing the rear suspension to bottom very easy .
Before cutting and welding the swingarm I would investigate finding suitable shock replacements or if there are stiffer springs available for the shock inners . If not then the only other option I can think of off hand would be to replace the shocks with struts making it a hard riding rigid suspension .
Yea, but then you are putting tons of stress on the shock mounts that aren't meant to take the whole effects of bumps in the first place.

Im no expert but Id think you'd eventually crack the mounts.

"Mr. Lahey is this you talking or the liquor?"

"Randy...(takes a swig)...I am the Liquor!!!"
XL1200R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for your input SCHMIDTYS and XR1200R. I'm definitely not going rigid. If I were I'de weld a rigid rear frame section in as some customs do. Stiffer springs are an option. If the available options aren't stiff enough there are companys that will custom wind spring to your specs. I'm willing to weld in supports for the shock mounts on both the frame and the swingarm as necessary. I'll also get a second hand doner swing arm as a test subject so as to not leave myself high and dry if the project goes bust. For me. These are the things that make a custom project fun. As they say. It's not the kill. It's the thrill of the chase.

Jonathan

KIX
Old 03-21-2012, 06:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Addicted Since 2010

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Fatboy_P View Post
Thanks for your input SCHMIDTYS and XR1200R. I'm definitely not going rigid. If I were I'de weld a rigid rear frame section in as some customs do. Stiffer springs are an option. If the available options aren't stiff enough there are companys that will custom wind spring to your specs. I'm willing to weld in supports for the shock mounts on both the frame and the swingarm as necessary. I'll also get a second hand doner swing arm as a test subject so as to not leave myself high and dry if the project goes bust. For me. These are the things that make a custom project fun. As they say. It's not the kill. It's the thrill of the chase.

Jonathan
Id go custom suspension right away

I can't imagine anything will work theft way you want it to when that swing arm has that much more leverage.

"Mr. Lahey is this you talking or the liquor?"

"Randy...(takes a swig)...I am the Liquor!!!"
XL1200R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
Since you're extending out 8", why don't you just fab some mounts and put a big coil over shock or two in between the tire and the oil tank/battery box? That would take the extra stress away from the stock shocks and it should look pretty good.

-Rohan
Old 03-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage
Something like this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KIF_2098.JPG (83.5 KB, 19 views)
Old 03-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
Something like this...
Thats a nice setup. It could be done to mine. I'll consider that if replacing the stock springs with stiffer springs don't work.

KIX