Cam Sensor - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Softail General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: .
Posts: 2,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTYS View Post
For the first couple years the H-D ECM program required cam angle and crank position signals to determine where the rotating assemblies were positioned . After '01 they determined the crank signal was all that was really needed , plus it was a cost saving feature .
I could see that with two cams and two cylinders, with just the crank sensor alone, the ECM might not be able to determine where each piston was in its cycle ????
Tucson_Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Retired citizen
 
SCHMIDTYS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pt. Wash.,WI
Posts: 12,838
In a TC engine if something happens with the cams , chain breaks or something , the engine isn't going to run anyways . The crank signal lets the ECM know where the pistons are located at all times and that's really all that's critical . It's a step count setup and when the step count gets interrupted the ECM sets a code and turns on the engine light .
Many EFI auto systems use both a cam and crank sensor set up .
__________________
Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
SCHMIDTYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: .
Posts: 2,410
Thank you!
Tucson_Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member
 
Dave63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 29,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTYS View Post
In a TC engine if something happens with the cams , chain breaks or something , the engine isn't going to run anyways . The crank signal lets the ECM know where the pistons are located at all times and that's really all that's critical . It's a step count setup and when the step count gets interrupted the ECM sets a code and turns on the engine light .
Many EFI auto systems use both a cam and crank sensor set up .
Correct Schmidty. Cam and crank timing are noted on cars due to variable cam timing, with regards to engine power and of course, EPA requirements.

As for the module idea, you are likely right, in that it's for carb only, not EFI.
__________________
__________________________________________
“Peter, arson is a serious crime. It's not like smuggling Oriental hookers into the country, in steel drums........” ~ Glenn Quagmire~
Dave63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member
 
Dave63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 29,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson_Tim View Post
I could see that with two cams and two cylinders, with just the crank sensor alone, the ECM might not be able to determine where each piston was in its cycle ????
The engine fires at specific degrees, (315* and 405*-Dual fire and 705* single fire) which are noted on the flywheel. Crank sensor reads the flywheel's postion, reports to the ECU and ECU tells coil to fire. ECU also controls all timing curves and changes through the rev range.
__________________
__________________________________________
“Peter, arson is a serious crime. It's not like smuggling Oriental hookers into the country, in steel drums........” ~ Glenn Quagmire~
Dave63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: .
Posts: 2,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
The engine fires at specific degrees, (315* and 405*-Dual fire and 705* single fire) which are noted on the flywheel. Crank sensor reads the flywheel's postion, reports to the ECU and ECU tells coil to fire. ECU also controls all timing curves and changes through the rev range.
Thanks. I think I need to read up on the ECU and stop asking these dumb questions.
Tucson_Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Harley-Davidson
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum