Softail vs dyna - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Softail General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 12:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Softail vs dyna

Which is the lightest of the Softail Harley's & which is the lightest of the Dyna series ?
In completely stock form which of the above is the quickest/fastest?
Also which has the most hop-up capabilities ?
Which bike handles the best on curvy mountain roads ?
My reason for inquiring is , I'm torn between keeping my Dyna Glide & buying a Softy .

Thanks
THE ROAD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 01:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm so new to the Harley brand I can hardly tell the difference between most models and the family they belong in. I do know I wouldn't put my stock 12' Heritage Softail in the best curvy mountain handling category. With it's 24 and 25 degree lean angles I constantly scrape the floorboards. The sound doesn't bother me but it drives my Fatboy riding buddies crazy.

I wouldn't mind more lean angle capability but coming from the sport bike seen I take the HSC for what it is plus I sure like the way the bike looks as it sits.
3 - The honey-do item won't fit on the bike
ZXPilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 01:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Dynas are all about function, Softails are all about looks. Whichever is more important to you should answer your question.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle.com App
Feuling Camchest w/ 525 Reaper gear drive cams, SuperTrapp 2:1 SuperMegs, Big Sucker A/C, Fi2000 PowrPro Tuner, Screamin' Eagle 6-Speed Transmission, AIM VP70T VPC, Progressive 444s in rear; Ricor Intiminators in front.

The rider wears an armored leather jacket and a full-faced helmet by choice. He doesn't really give a s#!t if you think that's not being cool..
OriginalScourge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ROAD View Post
Which is the lightest of the Softail Harley's & which is the lightest of the Dyna series ?
My reason for inquiring is , I'm torn between keeping my Dyna Glide & buying a Softy .

Thanks
"Lightest" of softails is likely the Standard. Not sure there's much difference in weight between a Superglide and a Streetglide. Especially if one has alloy wheels (lighter) vs steel spokes. (Heavier)

Both have the same engine/trans, so "fastest" is between rider skills.

Same with modding capabilities. Same drivetrain, although softails have the B-engine, with the counter balance shaft due to non-rubber mounted engine.

Dyna Superglide handles better then any other bike, in the Big Twin class. Light, powerful and a 28* rake VS 34* and up for the other models. Less rake means quicker and easier steering response in cornering.

Softail will let you stretch out more, unlike stock Dyna controls, unless you spring for forward controls.

Softail will give you a more plush ride, but limit your weight carrying capabilities. If you're 180lbs and your gal is 120 lbs, then it's great. If you're 250 and she's 180, then it can be an issue.

Both are great bikes. It's personal choice time.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ROAD View Post

Thanks
Thanks for asking these questions I have just about ruled out the Dyna myself because I like the look of the Wide glide but my legs and arms are to short for it to be comfortable and I'm not crazy about the standard seating position of the superglide. But after hearing about how well the superglide handles it may be back in the running.
longbeard1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Take each one for a test ride...your local dealer should help you with that...
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 12:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have an o4 wideglide with 16" apes and mid controls (put on at the dealer)- I can corner better than my buddy's 03 super glide without trying hard. We swapped bikes for a bit, but he liked his drag bars better. I couldn't wait to get back on mine- I hadda work hard to keep up! It felt as if I was back on my 98 1200 sporty!ImageUploadedByMO Free1364359442.768135.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
aj713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj713 View Post
I have an o4 wideglide with 16" apes and mid controls (put on at the dealer)- I can corner better than my buddy's 03 super glide without trying hard. We swapped bikes for a bit, but he liked his drag bars better. I couldn't wait to get back on mine- I hadda work hard to keep up! It felt as if I was back on my 98 1200 sporty!Attachment 52514

Nice Bike

Old 04-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage
i have over sized tires on my dyna (fatbob) 150 in the front 200 in the back. have a lot of friends with harleys and drive aggressive but no1 but my friend with a buel can handle the curves with me. so my vote is dyna with big tires. incl streetbob/fatbob
charlieb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalScourge View Post
Dynas are all about function, Softails are all about looks. Whichever is more important to you should answer your question.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle.com App
That's total BS. My bud did nothing but bitch about the smaller front tire handling with his 02 wide glide on a highway that was ruff. My fatboy handled great!

Softail for the larger front tire, you can't go wrong with the ride!
Softail99fb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.