Softail and a Gravel Road - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Softail General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Ya a freshly graded road is fun but having to drive down one after a rain is all kinds of fun. I don't wish that on anybody but I get caught out sometimes and the only way in is down that 3 1/2 mile slip and slide the county calls a road.
hogcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

I run into this now and again, goes with the territory of riding back roads. I don't like gravel, but if you keep your head, think of it as being unpredictable its not all that bad. Biggest things I hate are cleaning the bike, because of the dust and of course finding those rock dents. You will find the bike has more traction than you, just stay off the front brake... I hit a 4 way stop, did a coast through, because the gravel was so loose, my boots kept slipping, bike was fine. Done it on the Sporty as well as this RK.

"Give her full throttle till ya see God... then back off"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezel View Post
Golds bike sounds like a 66' Chevelle. It's amazing.
GotGold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #13 (permalink)

take your time not to fast or slow use the back brake have done this lots for many miles rode the alcan where some places were 20 miles of gravel might help to practice the back brake a lil deep mud is worse or deep soft gravel
buckanear007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #14 (permalink)

Go slow take your time
harleybeach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
Harley and Barley

The speed depends on the road surface. My dads ultra responds like this,
Lots of soft, loose stuff: you have to get the speed up a bit to get the bike to track straight as stop squirling around, like 35-40.
Smooth, hard tire tracks: you can go cautiously 20 or rip it up 50.
Its the soft stuff thats more of an issue.

Sent from my DROID4 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 08-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
STAND AND FIGHT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentor1701 View Post

...I want to ride the Harley up there, but they live 2 miles down a rock road.

Some have said no way keep the bike at home do not ride on the gravel, ....
I think it is pretty funny there are Harley Riders saying Oh no Not on gravel

Wonder how much of the roads going coast to coast in 1915 were gravel and mud

Quote:
On May 2, 1915, the mother-daughter team of Avis and Effie Hotchkiss left Brooklyn, New York on a three-speed V-Twin with a sidecar, with the intention of reaching the West Coast and returning.

In September of 1915, The Harley-Davidson Dealer magazine reported that the team faced "bad roads, heat, cold, rain, floods, and all such things with a shrug of their shoulders." They had crossed the San Marcos pass in California, enduring temperatures in excess of 120 degrees Fahrenheit. The Hotchkisses claimed in The Harley-Davidson Dealer that, while in New Mexico, they had run out of spare inner tubes. Having thought ahead for this predicament, the women cut a blanket down to inner tube length, rolled and shaped it into a doughnut, and stuffed it into the tire. This got the bike through to Santa Fe, New Mexico, where they were able to re-supply inner tubes.

In August, the team dipped their wheels in the Pacific Ocean at San Francisco. By just making the trip one way, Avis and Effie Hotchkiss became the first women to cross the United States on a motorcycle. They immediately began the return leg, which included crossing the deserts of Nevada and Utah, and the cities of Reno, Salt Lake City, Omaha, Davenport, Chicago, and Milwaukee.

Avis and Effie Hotchkiss finally returned to their home in Brooklyn in October of 1915. Although they were looking forward to their next trips, they had already ridden their way into the record books and earned themselves a place in motorcycling history.

Some days you feel like TORQUE!
Some days you feel like HORSEPOWER!

Once you establish yourself as an eccentric,
you rarely have to explain your actions.

Something a guy at a HD parts counter told me 30 years ago,
"You know what I'd do with that bike if it was mine? RIDE IT! Nothin' else ."
Nathang is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
The other white meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by big john@dog View Post
Hey stone crab Ya you learn a few things riding dirt bikes...
ha ha ha yea that's right man. ^^^ over 40 years meself. I don't wanna let em pass me if I can help it, i hate eating dust but some of these kids around here play Bo or Luke Duke on these back roads, I'll let them go by. Hmmm tasty. thinking about little Daisy Duke now in them short shorts. anyway what was the topic. ADD kicked in

I'm with Nathang on this. Folks were riding these big heavy sleds in all sorts of weather and all sorts of terrain back in their day. No choice...

What harleybeach sez "Go slow take your time"

Pick yer path so ya don't get surprised.
OP truth is taint nuttin to it an if ya don't know to lightly use the front brake at the right time, stay off of it, especially going down hill.
Pickin tiny gravel out yer legs an arms weeks later is just weird...
Old 10-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
USMC

Like previous post say gravel is a not a big deal, Earler this year had to ride through 5 miles of mud due to road construction and a thunderstorm I was too scared to stop or try a u turn so I kept on trucking.

One thing from my prehistoric racing days is speed tends to stabilize you ie, do not try to go through heavy gravel at 2-5 mph 15 to 20 is a lot more stable. Also of you do feal like you are getting out of shape roll on the power, not enought to run the back wheel out from under you but enough to straighten the bike out.

Good luck
Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Harley Rider

Garage
Should be ok as long as you don't get carried away.
TmikeX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentor1701 View Post
I even rolled my first car on it.
Just how many cars have you rolled??

Gravel has been no problem for me. About 3/4 mile in and out of the campground probably 50 times a summer. Let the bike track itself. Let it float. Don't try and reign it in.

Chief Illiniwek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.