Springer Front Ends - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Softail General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Springer Front Ends

It seems like eveytime I look at a Harley magazine with custom built bikes in it, about 80% of them have springer style forks.

From what I've heard, the "Crossbones" didn't go over so well a few years back, but I'm thinking if the pro builders are moving to springers, there has to be growing demand. Hard for me to understand why the "Crossbones" didn't sell--but I think the "Bad Boy" is one of the sweetest bikes ever built.

Would you consider buting one is Harley revived the springer softail?

Maybe as an option in the factory HD1 customization program?
ImJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJason View Post
Would you consider buying one if Harley revived the springer softail?
That was the reason I bought one...but that's just me...
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

It IS a good looking bike, but the springer handling characteristics, weight and performance are no match for the hydraulic front forks.

Hence the hydraulics being introduced in 1953, and the springer phased out.

A springer fork just doesn't have the damping capabilities of a hydraulic fork. The tire can "hop" losing traction with the street, especially in high-speed damping rated situations.

These days.....perhaps it's become more of a "liability" issue due to some Civil lawyer, then anything.

Service intervals are also important on a springer, as the fork bushings need service and replacement if too worn.

Personally: I like them. They may be "old school" and antiquated in design, but they are part of HD's heritage.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

I prefer the Springer over the hydraulic ones myself....
I love the Old School look and I like the ride.
SSSPRINGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have a bones and I love my springer front end. I love the nostalgia of it all. And I have no qualms or issues with handling this far and that's 25k plus miles later.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
DottoreItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

love the springers. best lookin fork ever produced, period. IMHO old & new, & i have both
butch61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

I ride a X-bones after riding a Sporty and a Suzuki before (both with telescoping forks). Anyway, fat tires, springer front end, sprung seat, and soft tail & I can roll over stuff with minimal jarring that would have probably dumped me on the other bikes. I love the ride and look both. Had a few rust issues on the springs but I'm lazy about cleaning and lived near the beach. Go for it. Stand out. When Motor Company dumped X-Bones, they departed from a massive part of their heritage and severely limited choice. I wish they'd bring back stock kick-start while they're at it & buddy seats, and bubble bags, brown WLA style leather, and all the other out of date options that everyone seems to love. Mystery to me why they don't look at what custom builders are building and build bikes like that. Jeep figured out concept when they took the after market bolt on off-road upgrades and made them stock (Rubicon).
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

This is my first post, so i'd just like to say Hi to you all, Hi

I have a crossbones, bought a used one with 3,500 miles on,had it 12 months now and love it,
I intended to buy a new one, but by the time I made my mind up it was discontinued I was told by the dealer the reason H D stopped making springers was because all future bikes would be having ABS and the springer was not suitable.

Ive found the crossbones to be equally as good as the telescopic fork models, I actually swapped my Street Bob for it, and hardly noticed any difference in the handling department,

I also like the balanced motor in the Cross Bones, I've refitted the sprung seat and bought myself the 11 inch smoked screen ,

Here in the UK they a fetching more money used, than they did when new !
I'll not be selling mine,it's a keeper, i'll send a picture when i know how lol,

Cheers G
Elvisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

I've owned and ridden three Harley's with springers a 39 EL,46EL and a 47 FL,so when the crossbones came out I thought I had to have one. I went to Daytona for bikeweek(rode)and test rode a crossbones,when I came back I rode the fatboy.I own a fatboy. By the way,the first hydraglide was 1949 not 1953 Dave.
windy is offline   Reply With Quote