AArrrgghhhh.. Too Many Choices... - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Softail General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

I say go test ride everything that interests you, More than once, and really get a feel for each bike. The bike usually will pick you. I am partial to the Ultra line. Classic looks, highway couch, plenty of storage, great for long or short rides and with the new frame on the new touring bikes they are quite nimble in the twistys. Oh and Zelrick it will be one year I have my Ultra Limited in December and I wouldn't trade it for anything...
“Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work. I think, "It is better to drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
- Babe Ruth
Tailgunner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

rent one for weekend I would go wide glide but most would not i have done every thing on my wide glide comute weekend and month long trips but i would think rent a few this will tell you for sure what you like
buckanear007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ive had two ultras over the past few years i love them. Wife loves them since she can sleep on the back on way to the beach. Definately want an ultra if you want lockable storage. Plus the limited looks kinda sporty. Lol
2010hdultra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Acta Non Verba

Thanks for the insight Tailgunner, the reason I've been looking at the Cross bikes from Victory has nothing to do with liking them better or disliking the HD touring bikes. It's simply that I may have the opportunity to own a bike from both the prominent U. S. manufacturers of motorcycles.

Hell, I'd own another Ducati too if the maintenance wasn't so often and so expensive.

My only redeeming quality is that I have little use for new Asian street bikes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 11-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

Hey Zelrick I wasn't making any comment on what bike you are looking at. If your on 2 wheels its all good with me. Hope you didn't think I was bashing you for lookin at a Vic. I was just responding to your sayin "you would just like to see a new owner that's still happy after a year or two on his chosen ride." Thats Me love my Ultra.
“Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work. I think, "It is better to drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
- Babe Ruth
Tailgunner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

I guess I'm a prime example of what others have been saying. After not having a bike for many years, I finally realized I was living in denial and bought a new '09 Sportster 1200. Loved it. And prior to the Sportster my biggest bike had been a Honda 750F many years ago. But...., it wasn't long before I "needed" a bigger bike and I bought a new 2011 Fat Bob. Loved it. But...., because I was wanting to do some traveling/touring I again needed a bigger bike. Just picked up my 2013 Road Glide Custom not quite 2 weeks ago. Love it. Should have gotten this bike a long time ago. Took me a while and a lot of $$ but I think I have finally gotten to where I want to be and intend to wear this one out.

So, if I had any words of wisdom to offer you to help you with your decision, just remember that whatever you get that is perfect for you now, things, and needs, have a way of changing. Whatever you get do your best to enjoy the heck out of it. And if your needs change over time you may have to go through the decision making process all over again.

Ain't it a lot of fun?

Louisville Joe
Louisville Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Joe View Post
I guess I'm a prime example of what others have been saying. After not having a bike for many years, I finally realized I was living in denial and bought a new '09 Sportster 1200. Loved it. And prior to the Sportster my biggest bike had been a Honda 750F many years ago. But...., it wasn't long before I "needed" a bigger bike and I bought a new 2011 Fat Bob. Loved it. But...., because I was wanting to do some traveling/touring I again needed a bigger bike. Just picked up my 2013 Road Glide Custom not quite 2 weeks ago. Love it. Should have gotten this bike a long time ago. Took me a while and a lot of $$ but I think I have finally gotten to where I want to be and intend to wear this one out.

So, if I had any words of wisdom to offer you to help you with your decision, just remember that whatever you get that is perfect for you now, things, and needs, have a way of changing. Whatever you get do your best to enjoy the heck out of it. And if your needs change over time you may have to go through the decision making process all over again.

Ain't it a lot of fun?

Louisville Joe
Yeah it is a lot of fun and feel fortunate to be able to consider it.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Acta Non Verba

Tailgunner, glad you are still in love with your Ultra, they are sweet bikes, a local dealer has a yellow CVO (I think) that makes me drool every time I see it and the black denim Road glides give me a, well err..... Anyhow I admit it, I've had a life long addiction, but the addiction is to two wheels not a particular brand. I want at least one of each, Harley, Victory, Ducati, Triumph, Moto Guzzi and others...

I'll never own them all, but I can try.

To the OP there's now lots of good info here, besides me getting off topic, I hope you make the best decision for you. In truth you can't go wrong the entire line up is great.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 11-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgunner1 View Post
I say go test ride everything that interests you, More than once, and really get a feel for each bike. The bike usually will pick you. I am partial to the Ultra line. Classic looks, highway couch, plenty of storage, great for long or short rides and with the new frame on the new touring bikes they are quite nimble in the twistys. Oh and Zelrick it will be one year I have my Ultra Limited in December and I wouldn't trade it for anything...
Do love my ultra as well. Tons of storage. Every morning I'd pack my brief case, lunch bag and gym bag and still have plenty of room for more. Heck, I've even gone to the grocery store and once went to Cosco and lugged an 18 pack of double roll TP that I strapped onto the tour pak. Wish I had a pic of that one.

Life Church Riders Group Germantown WI
Riding with our Lord!
Knash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBONE View Post
Hell ya, go right to a KING!
+1

Had my Sporty for 4 years, good bike, but the way I thought I'd ride and the way I like to ride are two different stories... got the King this year. Great bike.

"Give her full throttle till ya see God... then back off"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezel View Post
Golds bike sounds like a 66' Chevelle. It's amazing.
GotGold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.