AArrrgghhhh.. Too Many Choices... - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Softail General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

AArrrgghhhh.. Too Many Choices...

Decisions decisions.... I signed on to this forum this past Spring. My intent is to get a bike in the near future. I started off thinking the Sportster line, then went to the local dealership and fell in love with the Dyna Wide Glide... Then, on another trip fell in love with the softtail custom (2008/2009 year). Actually a Night Train drove me nuts.

Anyway, for now I'm back looking at new bikes. The freaking Breakout CVO is unbelievable, but WAY out of the price range. I like the lines of the Black Line and still hedge towards a Wide Glide, but the Softtail Deluxe is now driving me nuts. The red/white combo is awesome, and would look sweet in the garage with my '64 Corvette convertible which is red over white (like that really matters).

I haven't seen many posts specifically towards the Deluxe. I know Harleys are great bikes, but are there any pros/cons towards the Deluxe?

GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Turgid Member

Well make sure you buy the bike you want the first time. Otherwise you'll just be trading it in in a year. I know because that's what I did and it would explain all the newer Sportys on the dealer lot with 300 miles on them.

Michigan
2012 FXDC "Big Blue Pearl"
2010 XL883L "Vivid Black"
Moisture free since 2011
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratso View Post
Well make sure you buy the bike you want the first time. Otherwise you'll just be trading it in in a year. I know because that's what I did and it would explain all the newer Sportys on the dealer lot with 300 miles on them.
I would agree with Ratso. Spend the cash now or you'll be spending it in the future.

Life Church Riders Group Germantown WI
Riding with our Lord!
Knash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
MPG'S? Who gives a

Garage
Having read all that, I don't think you'll ever regret not getting a Dyna if you go for that Softail, Or any other Softail for that matter..

Just avoid the Red over white ones.....
Old 11-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Acta Non Verba

Find the bike that fits you best in stock form. But, (there's always a freakin but.) before you buy consider what you'll be doing with the bike and figure that in.

Take me for example, I have a Fat Bob and love it. However, I commute on it and do weekend trips, I probably should have bought at least a Heritage and probably a street or Road glide. Simply for the storage.

With the FXDF I have a sissy bar bag on the rack and one on the back seat for going to work, the wife and I pack light so weekend trips are OK, but we definitely don't have room to bring even a "been there" t-shirt home.

Sure makes a good excuse for a second bike though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 11-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelrick View Post
Find the bike that fits you best in stock form. But, (there's always a freakin but.) before you buy consider what you'll be doing with the bike and figure that in.

Take me for example, I have a Fat Bob and love it. However, I commute on it and do weekend trips, I probably should have bought at least a Heritage and probably a street or Road glide. Simply for the storage.

With the FXDF I have a sissy bar bag on the rack and one on the back seat for going to work, the wife and I pack light so weekend trips are OK, but we definitely don't have room to bring even a "been there" t-shirt home.

Sure makes a good excuse for a second bike though.

Well, I plan on using it to commute back and forth to work, and need to lug a laptop along. Haven't completely figured that out other than saddle bags.

I want something sporty/mean looking (i.e. Wide Glide), but the Deluxe is more of a classic/refined look, and think it would do better on longer trips.

Wifey, not an issue. She's looking at a Sporty SuperLow. She has a bad knee and that bike seems to fit her the best.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rigid or rubber mounted. Deluxe is basically a heritage. The wideglide is very similar to the custom softail again, rigid to rubber. There all nice depends on what you like... don't buy just to buy, be sure your going to be happy with choice & no offense to anyone, but your doing the right thing looking past a sporty, you'll be happier with a bigger bike. Good luck...Now go buy something!!!

Once you go Bagger, you don't come back
JBONE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Acta Non Verba

The problem with aftermarket saddle bags, or the Harley models, is cost. Last I looked, lockable bags for my bike, from Harley were $700 and barely provided enough space for the Crap I have to carry. Quality aftermarket seems no cheaper.

Not trying to sway you one way or the other, would just like to see a new owner that's still happy after a year or two on his chosen ride. Like I said I still love the Fat Bob and will probably keep it while adding a touring bike, either Harley or (duck) Victory (not a Vision) in the next few months.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Go big or go home. Stay away from that sportster. I went from a Honda shadow saber 07 1100cc to a road king classic 12 with the 103. GO BIG

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Cadivillellac84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadivillellac84 View Post
Go big or go home. Stay away from that sportster. I went from a Honda shadow saber 07 1100cc to a road king classic 12 with the 103. GO BIG

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Hell ya, go right to a KING!

Once you go Bagger, you don't come back
JBONE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.