Originally Posted by ZXPilot
Here’s an interesting first for me… My local dealer told me the stock aux lights that come on the Heritage are not meant to be turned on for extended periods of time because the headlight cannot handle the current draw.
Anthony....your dealer is obviously having a (insert type here) moment.
You need to check the volatge at the headlight plug. It should be no more than 14.7-14-8 volts, or you may have a bad voltage regulator that's allowing more voltage than normal to be subjected to the bulb.
Vibration is another issue with bulbs. The filiments are Tungsten, and burn to produce the light. As the Tungsten burns, the filiment becomes thinner and more brittle. The black residue you see in an older buld is acutally Tungsten residue.
If the bulbs are being placed in the bike with bare fingers, oil from your fingers can cause "hot spots" on the bulb glass, and can cause premature failure. However, 12 hours sounds like a voltage issue to me.
I run my passing lamps 24/7, and have taken 12 hour rides. Still the original headlight bulb. The charging system produces what the bike needs, based on Amp draw and wattage. If there's a faulty ground, or regulator, or even stator, the bike can produce more than necessary electricity, but more over, allow it past the resulator, and effect elecrical items.
I'd also check the ground for the headlamp, as well as the voltage at the plug, and at the battery. Continued high voltage at the battery will cook the battery and shorten it's life eventually.