removing rear tire - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Softail General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

removing rear tire

guys Ive heard that removing the rear tire is a pain in the ass and there are tricks to doing so.. has anyone ever done this? are there any tricks?
dro2204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Northern Redneck

what kind of scoot ? bobber fenders are easier...saddlebags out of the way too...

You can Sleep when ur Dead...

Baggers RULE !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTrb4YGkSOU

HERD Member # 000015
Blackdog 15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

lift bike.

remove axle.

Drop wheel, less belt.

Remove tire/wheel combo.

Remove tire.

See.....it's easy!!

Now....like Lee said, what kinda bike we talkin', here?

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
when did it start 4u

taking it off is easy but putting it back on can be a pita some times
2011 Subaru OB (DD)

A great man once said
" you better keep your traps shut, bc you know what they say, People in glass houses sink ships"
Jacket4256 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

thanx for at least answering it, ive been waiting but apparently no one but you three have any experience with taking off a tire. Maybe I should have put taking and putting a wheel on and off

the scoot is a 92 fat boy let me know of any tricks you may have! thanx guys!
Old 05-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
"Nervous Tick"

well you need to remember, dave has been a little busy with the packer thing as of late. but that chapter in all of our lives has passed!
these guys will help ya out, it just takes a while for a response sometimes. but the answer you do get, is worth the wait.
gruss
Old 05-18-2009, 04:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruss View Post
well you need to remember, dave has been a little busy with the packer thing as of late. but that chapter in all of our lives has passed!
these guys will help ya out, it just takes a while for a response sometimes. but the answer you do get, is worth the wait.
gruss
Your telling me! Its easy to trust the answers I get from the guys that answered me in this thread. the info that these guys share is defiantly worth the wait!
Old 05-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Hopefully, you have a bike lift. You can do it with 2 straps from the garage ceiling, but I hate that stuff..........

Jack your bike up.

Once the rear tire is off the ground about 4", take the belt gaurd off.

Undo the cotter pin from the axle nut.

Take the axle nut off.

Sit (yes, sit...) on the ground behind the bike.

Say, "I love cheese." outloud. (Do it....)

Put your right foot (toes) under the tire.

Lift your toes and take the pressure off the tire and unload the weight off the tire/axle.

Slip the axle out. Say "I love cheese" again. (Do it...)

DO NOT move the axle adjusters as although it may seem like a good idea at the time, you create more work later, and I can almost bet, you don't own the $22 belt adjustment tool. (hint, hint) Go buy it, then say, "I love cheese."

As you yank the axle out, the wheel will drop, as will the left and right axle spacers. Keep track of them as one is thicker (left) then the other (right).

Before you drop the wheel, slip the rear brake caliper and holder off the rotor, and out of the swingarm slider. Let it hang GENTLY off the hose, but a bungie cord is better then letting it hang off the hose. Weight on hose=bad.

Drop the wheel to the garage/driveway/kitchen floor. If in the kitchen, post pics. Say "I love cheese."

You'll probably have to hoist the bike up a tad higher to clear the rear fender of a Fatboy. Tilt the tire/wheel (bottom) to the right, and on an angle, slide the whole damn (heavy) thing out. Bottom first, swooping out from under the bike......bottom first....sliding out.......like cheese.........

Reinstallationismatarian....yes it's a word...................oh what fun............

Slide said NEW tire on rim back under the fender. (opposite your removal)

Set all your spacers, axle, nut, and right foot back out, in the order they belong and do the dealio like this:

Life the tire/wheel combo onto the top of your right foot/toes back in place. Slide wheel/tire to right.

Put in the left wheel spacer.

Get the tire/wheel in place, and hold the axle in your left hand. Yes, it's greasy. No, don't itch your nose, now.

I like to slide the axle though the frame and the left axle adjuster block, and as the wheel lifts up, push the axle through the axle block, spacer and into the left bearing of the wheel.

Take a breath.

Stretch.

Have a smoke/beer/optional activity.

Sit back on the garage, driveway/kitchen floor, and place said foot back under said tire. As you lift it, wrap the belt back around the rear sprocket, and pull it backwards, taking most of the slack back out of it.

Take weight off tire/rim, and push axle through right bearings, and place right spacer on axle. This generally takes 3-4 hands, but you'll figure it out.

Now.......with that being done, there's about 1/8th inch less room that you need to get the brake spacer/mount in the remaining opening, but it'll fit.

Trust me. Then say, "I love cheese" again, outloud.

Tilt the wheel/tire combo to make it level. Slip the brake mount/caliper onto the slider, pushing it forward, and untimately, knocking the right side spacer out, and onto the floor.....at least twice. It's gonna happen.....

Now that you see there's barely enough room, take a thin screw driver, place it gently on the spacer, between the spacer and the brake mount, and slide the brake mount forward to where it belongs. Once you believe it's where it needs to be, slide the axle in the rest of the way, spin the wheel to make sure the caliper/pads and rotor aren't binding, and apply the but, and torque to the correct specs. (about 65 ft/lbs)

Replace belt gaurd.

Wash hands.

Eat a ham/cheese sammich.

Test ride.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Northern Redneck

Dave, you forgot the line that should read,,,"drink a cold beer"....

You can Sleep when ur Dead...

Baggers RULE !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTrb4YGkSOU

HERD Member # 000015
Blackdog 15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 08:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog 15 View Post
Dave, you forgot the line that should read,,,"drink a cold beer"....
I substituted it with him saying, "I love cheese".

That way, it makes me sound like i have less of a drinking problem.......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.