Loud pipes in Texas.... - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Sportster General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Loud pipes in Texas....

I went to help a friend of mine take his MC riding test today, hes been riding a while but finally had to get a license. (insurance co just found out)

He has an 09 Iron 883 with vance and hines pipes. they do a visual inspection of the bike then ask you to start it, the lady had a weird look on her face and asked this guy to come out and look at it. He said the pipes were too loud, not legal, and he wouldnt let him take the riding test.

I didnt know texas had any restrictions on MC exhaust, just a heads up.
:
Parrot76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

There's not a law regulating the loudness on pipes in Texas. The guy is an idiot.
Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
I'm your huckleberry

That's a bummer but any DMV will check all required points before doing a driving/riding test on any vehicle bike or car including insurance, tag, lights, horn and yes even exhaust..... IF it catches their attention they can decline. Looks like he needs some quiet baffles or to borrow a bike for his test. But we all know loud pipes can/will get us a ticket under the correct circumstanses right? Bummer they called him on it but suprised..... Not really.

Moderator is just another word for underappreciated prick.
facn8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mod Extraordinaire

Yup. I put my baffles in before I take my bike in for inspection. They come back out once I hit home again.
TexRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Here's a link to backup my statement that there is no law requirements on how loud you pipes need to be:
Texas motorcycle laws

Just take the bike where there's not an idiot doing the inspection.
Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
I'm your huckleberry

dig a little deeper next time

TRC §547.604.

MUFFLER REQUIRED.

(a) A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working condition that continually operates to prevent excessive or unusual noise.

(b) A person may not use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device on a motor vehicle.

Texas Motorcycle Laws

Of course by reading further myself I found out Texas is a helmet state and did not know that.

Moderator is just another word for underappreciated prick.
facn8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Parts Junkie

People amaze me...... Loud pipes are almost illegal everwhere. Live it. Learn it and adjust accordingly, and stop blaming other people for not knowing your OWN State laws........

Come on people......knowledge is power and the internet almost tells you everything you need to know, if you ask the right questions.

Stop blaming the DMV for your own ignorance.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

I blame Obama!!!
Badassbrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Parts Junkie

Well.......then there's that..........
Old 08-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
irate pirate

I mentioned to the dealer (when I bought my sporty) about the loud pipes and asked if they were legal... he said "No!, but the cops won't bother you unless you're bein' a dick with 'em! The St. Pete police have Vance & Hines on their bikes!"
Sat beside many police at the redlights now, and I just let it bubble quietly, always got the thumbs-up (so far) from 'em.

Some jurisdictions are more understanding, I guess. If pressed, I'll claim they're a safety feature.
Loud pipes save lives!

"Our intentions form the universe."

the Herd #34

Dumbass People

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote