Pink Goo Rust Remover - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Sportster General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Poser

Pink Goo Rust Remover

Ok all you Old guys I need you to help me remember the name of a very old product. I got a friend who has some surface rust in odd places,,,foot peg mounts,chrome belt guard,,etc,,,he cannot afford new stuff right now. OK OK there was once a product in a small 6 oz bottle. It was pink and thick like PVC glue,the lid had an applicator stick. Looked like peptobismol,,,you slopped it on ,,waited a few minutes i think,,hosed or wiped it off,,Rust was GONE,,,If the chrome was deeply pitted It would get 90% of the rust outta the deep spots. I used it in a bicycle shop in the early 70's,,,worked great! Ok Ok now you know Im old and forgetful,,,anyone remember this product!!!!!:mwink
Osco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
SNAFU organizer

naval jelly

Loctite sells it under that label still. Might take a look around several more rust removal products on the market now that might work better than there was "back in the day"
vlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poser

Dammit Man !

Dammit vlade you rawk ,,,Tanks
Old 11-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Way off subject from motorcyles.. I have an old Sword, Columbus Style from Spain. Not one that you would get from a flea market. It is rusted baddly- been looking for somthing to help with that. Will look into the locktite stuff, who knows!

Sticks and stones will break your bones, but I enjoy using them.
Colione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

see it does prove that some old folks are still worth having around Lamo
Queensland Chapter #973

Animal aka Rat Fink
Grow Old Disgracefully
Live to Ride : Ride to Live
F.T.W. & H.T.F.U.
Such is Life
"The Herd # 69"
Ozbiker69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Parts Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colione View Post
Way off subject from motorcyles.. I have an old Sword, Columbus Style from Spain. Not one that you would get from a flea market. It is rusted baddly- been looking for somthing to help with that. Will look into the locktite stuff, who knows!
If it's valuable, then leave that to a professional that won't ruin the sword by doing something wrong.........I ruined a brass lamp once.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
SNAFU organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
If it's valuable, then leave that to a professional that won't ruin the sword by doing something wrong.........I ruined a brass lamp once.
Word, rule of thumb with collectors. You totally crap the value if you do any "restoration" They'd rather have it look like a POS
vlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

When removing surface rust on chrome IMO without a doubt best thing to use is 0000 steel wool

"Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse"
Sonny Barger(Freedom: credos from the open road)
Ohutchins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Good point Dave, will hold off and keep searching for some one who can help. Its really cool looking. Has some kind of latin inscription also some drawings. real nice work went into it.

Sticks and stones will break your bones, but I enjoy using them.
Colione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poser

Naval Jelly

Yeah it was good for taking off deep rust on bycycle rims,,,pedals,,etc BUT you had to paint or fill in the pits,,,DEFINATLY NOT for a collectors sword.