Sportster bobber - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Sportster General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Sportster bobber

I was looking for any tips or advice to go along with my research.
I want to build a Sportster bobber and am not sure about the best way to go about it I will be rebuilding the whole bike weather I pick up a newer or older bike.

So would you go with a:

newer bike because of ease of finding parts?
-OR-
older bike because its getting torn apart anyway and its cheeper?

Thanks for any and all advice

BigTattoo
bigtattoo79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would look into a Good well made ridged frame ! As your doing that find a wrecked Sporty with a good motor or just a Good Motor with papers! Better yet look for a Hot Buell Engine ...they have a hotter cam,and heads and with the right pipes and ign. you can make 90 hp no problem !

2006 was the last year for a Carb Sporster and running a Carb would simplify things! I saw a few on e-bay but there very early ironhead motors and the shifter is on the right side on those early motors

Get a V-TWIN Catolog and cruise through that! A stock length Old School Springer would LQQK great with a Solo seat and up sweep pipes!

google harley bobbers to get some ideas
Panhead1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead1959 View Post
I would look into a Good well made ridged frame ! As your doing that find a wrecked Sporty with a good motor or just a Good Motor with papers! Better yet look for a Hot Buell Engine ...they have a hotter cam,and heads and with the right pipes and ign. you can make 90 hp no problem !

2006 was the last year for a Carb Sporster and running a Carb would simplify things! I saw a few on e-bay but there very early ironhead motors and the shifter is on the right side on those early motors

Get a V-TWIN Catolog and cruise through that! A stock length Old School Springer would LQQK great with a Solo seat and up sweep pipes!

google harley bobbers to get some ideas
Thanks for the advice!!
Will the Buell Engine bolt into a sporty frame?
Old 06-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

an old iron head sporty makes a good ride id look for one fairly complete that need a bit of work as for building a bobber how far do you plan to ride it ? i have a 77 im going to turn into a bar hopper ( if i get off my lazy butt ) you can add a hardtail rear section weld on or bolt on or do what im doing and run a set of struts i cut mine 12" then went with a 16 " tire and wheel instead of the 18" that way it looks like it has about a 2 over front end with the stock tubes. and it looks pretty decent in mock up form i went with the bob fender and cut struts to fit from a wideglide cause i had them laying around and its 3/8" off the rear tire . seat is still up in the air ? got a king sporty tank i like the looks and the extra gas gets a few more miles . a bit of polishing on the covers a touch of chrome here and there it`ll be a low buck fun bike . I hope this helps a bit you never said if you were going to get a new aftermarket frame ? and the buell motors can cost as much as an older model bike . and with the frames theres usually an extra $1,000 worth of stuff you have to buy to finish the bike. ( at least )
Tennjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

I am partial to ironheads, but it's up to you.

as far as wrecked bike with papers, if you are using a bike built after 1970, and a custome frame, you will have to register it as a special contrusction. before 1970, the title went with the motor, after 1970 it went with the frame
Rockerbox1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennjack View Post
an old iron head sporty makes a good ride id look for one fairly complete that need a bit of work as for building a bobber how far do you plan to ride it ? i have a 77 im going to turn into a bar hopper ( if i get off my lazy butt ) you can add a hardtail rear section weld on or bolt on or do what im doing and run a set of struts i cut mine 12" then went with a 16 " tire and wheel instead of the 18" that way it looks like it has about a 2 over front end with the stock tubes. and it looks pretty decent in mock up form i went with the bob fender and cut struts to fit from a wideglide cause i had them laying around and its 3/8" off the rear tire . seat is still up in the air ? got a king sporty tank i like the looks and the extra gas gets a few more miles . a bit of polishing on the covers a touch of chrome here and there it`ll be a low buck fun bike . I hope this helps a bit you never said if you were going to get a new aftermarket frame ? and the buell motors can cost as much as an older model bike . and with the frames theres usually an extra $1,000 worth of stuff you have to buy to finish the bike. ( at least )
Very short rides for this bike. What years are the iron head sportys?
Old 06-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Damm its harder than I thought to find old beat up bikes LOL.
2 weeks looking and only found one in my area.

I may start looking into a rolling chassis but I am worried small parts are gonna eat me up cost wise.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

ironhead sportys came out in the 1950`s im thinking around 1955 ( i could be wrong bout 55 tho ) but close to the year the 1st ones were k models . i thought about going the custom frame route but when i figured up what it would cost to put one together i couldnt do it. its the little stuff that will cost a lot. the frame should come with an oil tank and axles but then you have to buy wheels tires front end and bearings nuts and bolts seat plumb and wire it handlebars risers all cables fenders battery battery box gas tank headlight, tail light, prime and paint it the list goes on and on before long the lowbuck bike has eat up $10,000 and its not done yet. if you find an early mdl sporty the shifter is on the right side up untill 76 they changed to left side shift then .my old sporty is a 77 but i had a 76 once with a hardtail and 6 over tubes on it back in the 80`s the guy that used to own it got killed on it ( hit a log truck head on one morning ) another ol` boy bought it fixed it and i got it was a nice bike but that damn kick start was killing my knee and ankle had to trade her off for a superglide. Good Luck hunting down a bike .
Tennjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2010, 01:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennjack View Post
ironhead sportys came out in the 1950`s im thinking around 1955 ( i could be wrong bout 55 tho ) but close to the year the 1st ones were k models . i thought about going the custom frame route but when i figured up what it would cost to put one together i couldnt do it. its the little stuff that will cost a lot. the frame should come with an oil tank and axles but then you have to buy wheels tires front end and bearings nuts and bolts seat plumb and wire it handlebars risers all cables fenders battery battery box gas tank headlight, tail light, prime and paint it the list goes on and on before long the lowbuck bike has eat up $10,000 and its not done yet. if you find an early mdl sporty the shifter is on the right side up untill 76 they changed to left side shift then .my old sporty is a 77 but i had a 76 once with a hardtail and 6 over tubes on it back in the 80`s the guy that used to own it got killed on it ( hit a log truck head on one morning ) another ol` boy bought it fixed it and i got it was a nice bike but that damn kick start was killing my knee and ankle had to trade her off for a superglide. Good Luck hunting down a bike .
Yea I have been adding up the cost of building from a rolling chassis and dont think it would be right for me.
I am gonna keep looking for a non running bike to start with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.