1975 Sportster XLCH - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Sportster General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 08:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
freeneasy dwn the rd

Talking 1975 Sportster XLCH

Hey Guys just wonder if any one has put a wider front end on an older sportster? If so what company did you use and do you think is the best? Also do you know and companies that make a replacement swing arm for the frame, just a little wider? I dont want to go to much wider but would like to get a little more mm in there. In advance thanks for any answers given they are all very appericated.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

On a 1975 Sporty, you're going to be limited with options due to age and frame style. Wider tires are hard to fit due to narrow fender mounting/clearence. I know guys that spaced the fender rails out, and used a wider rear fender, cut to fit, to make it work, however, the chain will limit your tire width, as with a drum rear brake, you can't shim anything out. Not sure if you can upgrade to a square swingarm and rear disc brakes.

The steering stem diameter for your bike is 7/8", and not the 1" like the newer harleys. You can get conversion cups to make a wideglide fork fit here:

http://www.billetwerx.com/products.php

The other alternative would be to look for an old Sevi-Car springer fork, (OEM) which had a 7/8" stem.

You can also look at WG conversion kits, but your fork legs are 35mm, and not 39mm, as the kits are made for. The 39mm (1987 and newer) fork legs are relatively cheap, as well if you get them used and want to go that route, as the 35mm legs look kinda skinny in a wideglide set up....

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

If you can put your finger in between each side of your rear fender and got a little sidewall chain clearance you go up a tyre size.
Badassbrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would check V-Twin Manufacturing® - Aftermarket Products for Harley Davidson and Antique Motorcycle Parts, they have alot of older Sporty stuff available. Maybe they will have something.
o8H0G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

to upgrade the front end you may just have to change your neck cups, bearings, etc.

billitwerx.com has a good set of cups
Rockerbox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockerbox1 View Post
to upgrade the front end you may just have to change your neck cups, bearings, etc.

billitwerx.com has a good set of cups

If I remember correctly, that year had ball bearing neck cups, and you could update to Timken bearing neck cups and have alot more choices, IF I AM RIGHT.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o8H0G View Post
If I remember correctly, that year had ball bearing neck cups, and you could update to Timken bearing neck cups and have alot more choices, IF I AM RIGHT.
Yes you're right. However, in order to install a wide glide front end, like the original poster wants, you need to change the cups/bearings to 1", as nobody makes a wide glide kit anymore, (rarely if at all) that's a 7/8" steering stem, as it's not been used for decades.

The TYPE of bearing isn;t the issue, it's the steering stem diameter and length. The likelihood is there as well the stem will have to be cut down and threaded too.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

the billit works cups are taller (thicker) and once installed, a standard length 1inch stem will work with the ironhead frame
Old 07-13-2010, 08:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockerbox1 View Post
the billit works cups are taller (thicker) and once installed, a standard length 1inch stem will work with the ironhead frame
Did not know that.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

BilletWerx - Manufacturers of high quality parts and accessories