What is the best thing about a sportster? besides price! - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Sportster General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Semper Fi!

Question What is the best thing about a sportster? besides price!

I am thinking about getting a harley later this year. I looked at a few last week but they didnt really fit me that well. I am about 5'9 and 150 lbs.

I looked at the '11 sportster 1200 and really like the looks and it fit very well. I am not as concerned about the price as I am about getting a bike I will be happy with for a very long time.

That being said I hear alot of people saying not to get a sportster because you wont be happy and you will sell it and move up to a bigger bike anyway.

I was just looking for some opinions.

rick
thehairlessone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Curmudgeon

I have a love hate relation ship with mine.
1. it's easy to maneuver in tight quarters
2. take the corners nice
3. easy to work on and easy to repair after you've worked on it
4. it's pretty quick all stock, or for an old man it is.
5. good around town and country rds.

cons
1. rides like a buckboard with a brick seat(that can and was changed)
much better but not as smooth a bigger bike.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety
Benjamin Franklin
scol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Semper Fi!

thanks scol!

rick
Old 05-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
when did it start 4u

pros
quick and nimble
fun in the twisties
good bang for your buck

cons
to many women will try to buy it off you at the gas station
2011 Subaru OB (DD)

A great man once said
" you better keep your traps shut, bc you know what they say, People in glass houses sink ships"
Jacket4256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

I got one and a softail. Like both. The sportster is easier to handle, park, etc.....
Got a big custom seat on it....very nice, but still a bit bumpier than the softail.
Easier to ride 2 up on the softail cuz it's bigger. But I sure like the sporty. Put a 30 tooth pulley on trans drive for highway, but this is not necessary. Go highway speeds no problem...just as fast as the softail with good handling and no problems with long rides. Gonna keep 'em both if I can still pay for the insurance...........
Pete
kc5gxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Look at the heritage your height shouldnt be a problem. Its got the lowest seat height of all stock harleys low center gravity handles real well and you can ride it all day. Big plus is modification products available you can do so much with it, seat choices, no shield, after market fairing and so many chrome doo dads you will get tired of looking.
If you plan on keeping a long time and decide to take some trips the sportster will be a beating. I know you sportster riders love your bike but follow my 09 street for 600 miles in a day and lets see whos in bed first.
JD55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
when did it start 4u

oh and btw I am shorter than you and I ride my classic everywhere Its not the bike in the maneuverability its the rider...
2011 Subaru OB (DD)

A great man once said
" you better keep your traps shut, bc you know what they say, People in glass houses sink ships"
Jacket4256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

i LOVE my sportster but can't deny the fact that it's a bumpy, rough ride at times..saving up for a mustang seat

but hell if i wanted comfort i'd buy a car...my next bike will be the nightrod, and unlike popular belief I AM NOT trading in/up, i plan to have a stable of bikes

and like scol said, its easy to work on and customize to your liking performance and looks wise

BigBone48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

love my sporty, not a big bike that can keep up. can do so many changes to a sporty its not even funny.

kinda rough on long trips but not that bad
harleybeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Semper Fi!

thanks guys. I am going to have to ride a few more before I decide anything. Too many choices. I know i want to move up to a harley but not sure which

rick