Idle issues with a 2007 sportster - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Sportster General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 07:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up Idle issues with a 2007 sportster

Hi everyone Just bought my first H.d. motorcycle. I have been riding a bike for four years now. I really enjoy ridiing. However since the purchase of the hd 2007 xl1200l sportster I am spending more time working on it. I purchased the bike used from a private individual. The issue I am having is at idle when cold or hot the motor seems to stumble and miss. Furthermore as I roll on the throttle and hold steady at that rpm( just a tad bit above idle) the stumbling and back firing issue increases. during moderate to heavy acceleration no problems during deacelration no problems. I changed and gap both plugs used 6r12 gapped at .040 with a wire gage. Spark plugs where torque per the manual 18 ft lbs. I also changed the air filter used stock hd air cleaner. Air cleaner was torque to service manual specs. yo yea I did buy the 2007 sportster h.d service manual 99484-07aq. changed the oil with new filter and used syns 20-50w hd oil. Now the bike is bone stock no mods what so ever It still has the stock exhaust. I took the bike to the dealer right after I brought it home. They told me the ilde was fine. finally any way to tighten up the throttle handle. As I was test riding the bike It was diffcult to hold the throttle at a steady state due the bike go over the road surface ( maybe a tighter spring on the throttle ) Thanks Guys ayp
ayp351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Could be leaking intake seals , a common problem .
Old 08-19-2011, 08:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
I'll help you hide the body

I agree may be intake related, and the procedure for proper throttle adjustment should be in that manual you bought. Along with troubleshooting tips.

Do you have any codes?

borrowed from gtrman66
Rules:
#1. Post #1: "New to Community"
#2. Buy a HD Service Manual, best $70 you'll spend
#3. Try the search function, we might have already answered your question
#4. Don't post classifieds until you meet the rules
#5. Don't bad mouth dealers until we know you, there are always 2 sides
misinlink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poser

Checking for Intake leaks Is easy.

Have a freind hold a High Idle,,say 2,000-2500 rpm

Spray WD-40 round the back of the carb, you know where.
Not where the Air filter will suck It In tho.
If the Idle starts dropping you found a leak.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osco View Post
Checking for Intake leaks Is easy.

Have a freind hold a High Idle,,say 2,000-2500 rpm

Spray WD-40 round the back of the carb, you know where.
Not where the Air filter will suck It In tho.
If the Idle starts dropping you found a leak.
the bike is fuel injected no carb. if it is an intake would the motor run like crap at any rpm? Thanks ayp
Old 08-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have no codes this is a fuel injected bike and is the first bike I worked on with fuel injection so I am not very familar with the system how do you go about getting error codes. Can Use the service manual I purchased ? thanks Ayp
Old 08-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

I read the manual to figure out where the intake seals are. also I was wondering if it is possible to use a fuel injector cleaner from advanced auto or walmart or auto zone Thanks AYP
Old 08-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

I will read the manual.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

The bike has 4550 miles and When I purchased the bike I put 91 octance in the tank Thanks Ayp
Old 08-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Go to the electrical section and read the sticky on how to read codes. That info is not in your manual. That info is only in the electrical manual. Look up the codes in the electrical section of this forum also. Let us know what you find.
Badinfluence is offline   Reply With Quote