Lower fork legs - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Sportster General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Lower fork legs

Any way to restore the lower fork legs? Mine are corroded from salt air ( original Florida bike ). It looks like they have a zinc coating or ??
How about spraying with an epoxy paint and clear coat?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB080003.JPG (2.03 MB, 21 views)

2005 XL1200C Vance & Hines Staggered Short Stacks w/QQ Thunder Monster Baffles, D & M chrome spike air cleaner, 48, 185 jets, 12" Burly's, Mustang Cyclone solo seat, Progressive 412 shocks.

2009 FXSTC Vance & Hines Big Radius, V&H air filter, 16" RSD King Apes w/1 1\2" risers and 1 1/2" riser extensions, Progressive 422 shocks, Corbin seat.
squeekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

i've seen them painted and they look pretty good... i think if it was me i would powder coat them... hwta would it cost? 80 to pc and 20 for new fork oil?
Old 11-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

They just have a clear coat over the polished aluminum. You can remove it and polish them, and they'll look better than new. They will corrode, though, if you don't occasionally polish them.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83XLX View Post
They just have a clear coat over the polished aluminum. You can remove it and polish them, and they'll look better than new. They will corrode, though, if you don't occasionally polish them.
I couldn't tell if they were coated with zinc or what. Maybe I will try to polish them with them on the bike using a drill and buffing wheel. and I could mask everything and spray with a clear coat.
Or :
Harley Davidson Chrome Lower Sliders O.E.M. Legs Forks | eBay

but that would require taking everything apart and ... I can do most repair work but never tried any fork work and am not confident.

2005 XL1200C Vance & Hines Staggered Short Stacks w/QQ Thunder Monster Baffles, D & M chrome spike air cleaner, 48, 185 jets, 12" Burly's, Mustang Cyclone solo seat, Progressive 412 shocks.

2009 FXSTC Vance & Hines Big Radius, V&H air filter, 16" RSD King Apes w/1 1\2" risers and 1 1/2" riser extensions, Progressive 422 shocks, Corbin seat.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdmatt View Post
i've seen them painted and they look pretty good... i think if it was me i would powder coat them... hwta would it cost? 80 to pc and 20 for new fork oil?
just some more Ronaldisms:

Ronald Reagan Quotes - Funny Reagan Quotes and Reaganisms

snopes.com: Ronnie and Pollution

Old 11-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Here's a pic of mine with the clearcoat removed (I took it off about 10 years ago). I polish them with some aluminum polish 2 or 3 times a year, and they look pretty good to be 29 years old...

Old 11-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Here's a pic of mine with the clearcoat removed (I took it off about 10 years ago). I polish them with some aluminum polish 2 or 3 times a year, and they look pretty good to be 29 years old...

looks like i have something to do this weekend myself...those look great
Old 11-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeekie View Post
those are awesome... i was torn on whether to use the qoute i did or the one about nuclear waste fitting under a desk
Old 11-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

I'm going to give it a go. Thanks.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Location: Veracruz, Ver. Mexico (I rarely take off my flack jacket. ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeekie View Post
Any way to restore the lower fork legs? Mine are corroded from salt air ( original Florida bike ). It looks like they have a zinc coating or ??
How about spraying with an epoxy paint and clear coat?
Same thing happened to me on my 93 Sporty.
Take off the wheel and fender and mask everything else off.
Strip the reflectors off.
Then get some paint stripper and get all of the old clear coat off. Clean them up with ScotchBrite pads and WD-40.
After you put everything back together, you only need to wipe them down with WD-40 every once in a while to keep them looking good.

2010, FLTRX W/ SE 120R.

Welcome to the forum. One of the best places on Al Gores interweb.
If you are new, why not mosey on over to the New Member section and tell us a little bit about yourself and your bike.

IBA#44072
Vettster is offline   Reply With Quote