approximately how much does a wet road surface - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Sportster General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Addicted Since 2010

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph in La. View Post
ointment and bandages.
Yea!!!

"Mr. Lahey is this you talking or the liquor?"

"Randy...(takes a swig)...I am the Liquor!!!"
XL1200R is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Water doesn't decrease the coefficient of friction on a roadway as much as you think. The major issues are that you're on a roadway PERIOD, which has multiple coefficients of friction, some of which are decreased by water. My first year of racing, I did 10 events in that rain. I ran rain tires which have tread and exagerated sipes, as well as have a super soft compound. Even on a wet track, there was enough traction and heat to wear them down and ball up the rubber due to heat. However, a track is also the most uniform surface you'll ever ride on and void of sand, pebbles, debris, oil, antifreeze, tar snakes and anything else that when made wet, can cause a bike to go down. Your tread depth, water depth, tire design and reas suspension setting will all play a part in wet road traction. Throttle control is ubber important and "smooth" better be the word of the day.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

It's dry as a bone here. I just try to avoid riding on wet roads period. Unless it's a dirt road and I'm on a dirt bike
Van/TX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

What I have been given to believe is(presuming not just after rain has begin-as stated earlier) is your tires will begin to hydroplane at nine times the square root of tire pressure. Also presuming good tires, good surface. In a corner all bets are off as a slick spot can spit you to the side very quickly.
Best answer, slow down and enjoy the cool ride. This is from Arizona where rain is appreciated.
James W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Poser

Reduce lean angles by half and all that goes with that,,

And like Dave said, be UBER smooth with all control Inputs...

IMO the shape of modern motorcycle tires makes hydroplaning a NON Issue IF
your sane and slow up some In the wet stuff.

I've plowed Into some pretty deep water a few times,,wouldda floated my truck..
The Bike did fine..
Old 06-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W View Post
What I have been given to believe is(presuming not just after rain has begin-as stated earlier) is your tires will begin to hydroplane at nine times the square root of tire pressure.
Air pressure has nothing to do with it.

Your tires are succeptable to hydroplaning as soon as the water is as deep as the tread depth.

The speed which tires hydroplane is based on the depth of the water, vehicle speed, vehicle weight, tire width, tread depth and the tread design.

Another factor is how much water has to be removed from under the tire by the tread, how much weight is pressing down on the tires and how efficient the tread design is at evacuating water. (Tread sipes)

While deeper water, higher speeds, lighter vehicles, wider tires, less tread depth and less efficient tread designs will cause tires to hydroplane at lower speeds; all tires will be forced to hydroplane at some speed.

As a rule for racing: Tread design affects hydroplaning resistance at high speeds and in deep water. Tread compound affects wet traction at lower speeds or in shallow water.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #17 (permalink)

Garage
I never drive faster than I can stop!!!!!
'08 Nightster XL 1200N (Traded)
'09 Softail Custom Traded 10/13
'09 Springer CVO Screaming Eagle
'10 CVO Screaming Eagle Softail Custom Convertible
'11 Nightster XL 1200N (Traded for CVO)
'07 Thunder Mountain Chopper (w/ 103 HD Screaming Eagle) Traded 10/13
09 Softail C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #18 (permalink)

today would be a perfect day to test all these wet road theories

i'll pass though , rain rain go away come again another day , why can't i have things my way? thanks to all of you , it's nice to be able to ask questions and get such good responses.
Ralph in La. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #19 (permalink)

All this talk about riding in the rain leads me to this ....Lesson learned for me. I was heading through Missouri a few days ago and got a ton of bug splats on my windshield. I stopped for gas but was too lazy to clean the bugs since I had only an hour to ride to get where I was stopping for the day. Guess what. It started raining. I found out that bug guts mixed with rain made it almost impossible to see through my windscreen. It was dark and I found myself having to lift myself off the seat slightly to see over the windscreen. Not the greatest of situations. And of course all of a sudden it seemed like forever before I got to an exit to pull off.
Ray-zer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #20 (permalink)

Red face Another can of worms, but...

What tires are the best for wet/inclement weather riding? Or perhaps, what kind of tread should I look at?

2009 XL1200N Nightster
MrTheatre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.