problem starting - Page 9 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Sportster General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #81 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Well ... there's more to add to this thread ... later !!!! Stay tuned !
Old 11-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #82 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTYS View Post
Well ... there's more to add to this thread ... later !!!! Stay tuned !

P.S. GotGold's 03' Screamin Eagle sounds like a 67' Chevelle big block.--- J.P.
GotGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #83 (permalink)

Baited breath

Oh man can't wait. I ride an 07 ultra classic but this is like watching reality TV. Can't wait for the next segment. I wish we a guy like Schmitty here in Fort Worth.

Glenn Williams
Attached Images
File Type: gif Deer.gif (273.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: gif Bunny.gif (398.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: gif popcorndrinking.gif (6.4 KB, 73 views)
Old 11-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #84 (permalink)

Click on the deer and bunny for some animation.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #85 (permalink)
Retired citizen

I'm getting to it ... waiting to hear back from Kris yet before I explain .
Old 11-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #86 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTYS View Post
I'm getting to it ... waiting to hear back from Kris yet before I explain .
Oky Dokey

P.S. GotGold's 03' Screamin Eagle sounds like a 67' Chevelle big block.--- J.P.
GotGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #87 (permalink)

Inquiring minds want to know. I kept checking back last night and now it's morning. Man this is like sons of anarchy. You just dont know from one day to the next what is going on. lol
Old 11-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #88 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Okay, I tell a little more but I'm still waiting for some more feed back.
Long story short. They're on their way to WI to get the Sporty last Sunday so I get to my shop and decide to fire the bike up one more time before they get here. So ignition on, gas on, choke on, one twist on the throttle and BANG - BOOM - BANG - BOOM - BANK ... no start ! I'm like "c'mon man" ....

I call them to see how far they've driven and they're to close to turn back so they're coming all the way. So now I start checking things, sounded like the ignition at first but then I checked battery voltage and it was like 12.5v so I put the charger on the battery. 2 minutes later the bike fired right up !!! I tested the charging system again, good at 14v at about 2500rpm.

I checked the positive battery cable and it was loose again so I reached thru from the right side with a long phillips and tighted the terminal as tight as it would go. So now the engine is firing up every time ...

They arrive and I explain what I found so after walking Kris thru on the repairs that were done Kris takes the bike for a few rides, runs good ! ... Then it doesn't start again, the bang boom thing ! Checked the battery volts and again the battery is down , what the heck ??? So off with the battery covers and on to the terminals with a 10mm GearWrench. About a half turn on the negative but then a full 2 and a half full turns on the positive ! ...

Put everything back together and the bike fires right up .... Kris takes the bike out for several more rides and the bike continues running and starting good. Load the bike onto the trailer and they take off to IL. Kris calls after they get home and says the bike is still starting and running good. Done deal right ...

Nope ! Got a PM from Kris later on that the bike didn't start again ! Well after having Kris check everything that he watched me check back at my shop, and to make this long story short like I said at the beginning of this post, it came down to a bad positive cable. Kris removed the cable and found it falling apart ! My bad, I missed that .... He made a new cable out of welders cable, got a new Deka battery and reported back the bike is starting, charging 14.5v and running well. He had a backfire from the pipes so now I'm waiting to hear from him after he gets some butt time on the Sporty.

I'm thinking the cable and new battery were the final fix. I should have caught that.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #89 (permalink)
Seņor Member

I'm not sure how you would have caught a rotten cable. All during the story I was thinking that the screw wouldn't stay tight on the battery mount.

Good news is its a happy ending. You're a champ for helping him out.

Chief Illiniwek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #90 (permalink)

Garage
Don't feel bad I'm not an automotive or motorcycle mechanic, but I am both an Electrical Contractor and a Mechanical contractor.

There is nothing worse than working on a piece of equipment new or used with multiple problems when you first lay eyes on it.

I've seen brand new chillers with incorrect factory wiring, improper sensors installed, along with the wrong version of software installed for that machine. About all you can do is fix one thing at a time and deal with the next issue as it rears it's ugly head.

Sounds to me like you've dealt with a lot of problems so if there are any left there can't be many.
secoleman57 is offline   Reply With Quote