Michelin Schorchers - Not impressed. - Page 3 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Sportster General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #21 (permalink)
Poser

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDSickness View Post
Maybe time to upgrade to a bigger bike
Yeah OP This Is true In some cases, The Sportster Is a fine
middle weight bike with crap for suspension. Takes alot of work
and some hard earned coin to make It handle like a modern
middle weight motorcycle should.

Remember It's on the heavy end of the Middle weights, even so
you can feel that the bike could handle alot better.

A bigger bike will be smoother and handle without as much drama
when compaired to the sportster simply because It has a longer
wheel base and different frame geometry. Also the apparent lower
CG is a big change.

More first time women riders choose softails that sportster I'm told.
I can understand why..

But when you spend what It takes and set up a sportster the
right way It handles just fine, stops great In the wet or dry,
and you end up with IMO the perfect Urban motorcycle.

If you raise the bike to have a more "IMO" reasonable/safe/ manuverable bike
you also wind up with a very competent corner carver.

Good rubber Is a must but not the complete fix.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
icy
Padawan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osco View Post
Yeah OP This Is true In some cases, The Sportster Is a fine
middle weight bike with crap for suspension. Takes alot of work
and some hard earned coin to make It handle like a modern
middle weight motorcycle should.

Remember It's on the heavy end of the Middle weights, even so
you can feel that the bike could handle alot better.

A bigger bike will be smoother and handle without as much drama
when compaired to the sportster simply because It has a longer
wheel base and different frame geometry. Also the apparent lower
CG is a big change.

More first time women riders choose softails that sportster I'm told.
I can understand why..

But when you spend what It takes and set up a sportster the
right way It handles just fine, stops great In the wet or dry,
and you end up with IMO the perfect Urban motorcycle.

If you raise the bike to have a more "IMO" reasonable/safe/ manuverable bike
you also wind up with a very competent corner carver.

Good rubber Is a must but not the complete fix.
Well, the rear shocks were upgraded to progressives within the first week of ownership and the bike is a good 2" higher. And, actually aside from the rear tyre I seem to have no problems with it. There is no maneuver this thing cannot pull on the streets of Manhattan for me. I always say: it gets me into and out of a lot of trouble without any problems - last night was a great example of this.

This Sunday I will be doing a long distance ride with the group and my gut tells me that all the vibration issues that I experienced will be gone too

I won't give up my Iron! I just love it too much But I will, get a second mid-long distance, more comfortable, heavier, TC bike - that's for sure

And I agree, of all the motorcycles I had, Iron is by far the hardest to handle. But once you master it, that's a different story.

Next in the line of expenses is a front shock overhaul and that's it. Then start putting money aside for the next one.
icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
Poser

Oh yeah when I did my front first That really showed me how bad I needed
the rear end fixed...

I experimented with thicker fork fluids and they worked to some degree BUT
I am in a hot climat, Florida. the 20 wt I first put in had to go as soon as the weather
cooled down.
20 wt helped control dive but did nothing to keep the tire contact patch on the ground.

If you do only one thing to the front set rider sag correctly...
Old 10-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #24 (permalink)
icy
Padawan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osco View Post
Oh yeah when I did my front first That really showed me how bad I needed
the rear end fixed...

I experimented with thicker fork fluids and they worked to some degree BUT
I am in a hot climat, Florida. the 20 wt I first put in had to go as soon as the weather
cooled down.
20 wt helped control dive but did nothing to keep the tire contact patch on the ground.

If you do only one thing to the front set rider sag correctly...
Awesome, you just saved me a couple of hundred and a lot of guess work right there! Thank you Osco
Old 11-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #25 (permalink)
icy
Padawan

Garage
Once again, last night, I found myself thanking all those who steered me in the direction of Michelin Commander IIs. For those who don't know, I dumped the Michelin Scorcher and bought Michelin Commander II and replaced my rear tyre. The following took place in Manhattan, NY on November 7th, Wednesday between 4pm and 6pm.

I had gas (a luxury here in NY nowadays) so I felt compelled to ride to work as I always do every day. Came to work around 6:45am, everything was fine (albeit incredibly cold. low 30s. with gust and self inflicted gust I recon I was riding at ~10 degrees) road was dry I had my winter gear on.

The nor'easter hit NY mid-day. Around 1pm there was blizzard quality conditions here. I was expecting snow but I wasn't expecting this much this soon. Around 3pm I decided to leave early as visibility was getting worse and the wind was picking up. Above 30mph gust and they close the bridges and the tunnels are still flooded so I had to haul ass fast.

At 4pm I left the office (midtown, rockefeller center 50th street and 6th avenue) there was traffic which is preferable as the visibility was problematic. what I didn't account for was the rate at which my visor would be covered in snow. roads are wet, but since I replaced the rear tyre with a Commander II I have no more wet surface issues. I traverse the island towards east, then usually take FDR down to Manhattan bridge, but out of fear of high winds I decided to stick to local roads and took 2nd avenue down (south). Snow was blowing directly at my face and the accumulation was incredible on the visor. And in 15 minutes another problem developed: severe fogging. The snow accumulation on the outer shell made the helmet so cold that even when I opened the visor fully the fogging didn't go away. So I was constantly struggling to get the snow off and stick my finger in and clean the fogging at least at the bottom quarter of the visor. And I had to keep the visor half open all the time.

Then it got worse. There is a gas station at the end of 2nd avenue and they had gas. Nowadays this means long lines and heavy traffic around the vicinity of such a gas station. And the traffic was clogged. It took me an hour to get out of 2nd avenue (a 20 minute exercise in normal rush hour traffic) Slush started building up on the road surface. And for those who know Manhattan, we don't have roads here. We have defensive trenches. In case a foreign army tried to pull a land assault on the island, the roads and the pot holes would stop their progress. A small price we have to pay for our security. I have a friend who got airborne on Chrystie street (at the end of 2nd av) because of two consecutive deep bumps. Alas, slush on bumpy road is disastrous. You can't see and you can't maneuver either. Yet I managed to keep the rubber side down, all the while thanking the rear wheel for helping me out.

As you approach Manhattan bridge from 2nd avenue, you need to make a detour to align with the entrance. That detour is a small side street at the end of Chrystie street. And that street had no traffic (a blessing for a normal day, a nightmare for a snowy night). Slush and snow on top. I had barely stopped the bike without skidding and the bike started sliding standing still. It's a light slope and covered with ice. Then the light turned green and I made the turn with both my feet on the ground like training wheels.

I decided to take the lower ramp of the bridge, because it's more protected from the wind. And there was 20+ mph gust. I was hoping for traffic on the bridge, traffic means heat, means less snow on the road. But I was wrong. At one point I was the only thing on the lower ramp at 5:30pm last night. Snow on the road, slush, one, just one tire track on the right lane and the wind was blowing. The bike started to wobble as the tyre treads got clogged with slush and every time the wind blew, bike traveled on a straight line to the other lane on slush. At one point I was actually 5 degrees to my right travelling straight to the left. Constantly checking for the distance of the car behind - in case I go down will he be able to stop, where should I try to roll. Kept the speed at ~25mph on third, kept it up right, snow on the visor, visor half open, snow in my eyes... all the while thanking the rear wheel for helping me

At the end of the bridge, the light turned yellow and turned red but there was no way I could stop. Didn't even try to hit the brakes looked to my left, no traffic coming, slowly drifted through the intersection at 10mph and because there was no traffic behind me used it to my advantage to very slowly coast to the right hand side of the avenue. When you come out of the lower ramp of Manhattan bridge you end up at the left side of Flatbush avenue - not good if you need to make a right turn on the next light. The turn executed slowly, no slide and there was a little traffic on Tillary street so I was relieved a bit.

All the while, not even one slide; steady as she goes.

Then came my local side road in front of my place. Covered in snow. Thanks to my 18" high boots and sleeping bag quality one piece, not a single cold spot on my body. Put both feet on the road, started gliding slowly at 2mph. No brake and front and rear simultaneously at feather touches when needed. I was looking for a safe spot when the light turned red. And a split second, a mere split second of a touch on the front brake and the front wheel slid two feet to the left. Since I had already planted my feet on the ground (now covered with a feet of snow accumulation because I dragged them on the road for two blocks) didn't fall, didn't even flinch. But did lose one of my 9 lives at that moment because I hate that feeling. That nightmarish front wheel sliding out of control on a slushy, icy, snowy road surface.

Rolled around the block, feet on the road, at 2mph, found a spot that I thought people won't hit the bike but it was so icy by then that I couldn't maneuver the bike. It kept sliding. stopped the bike, got off, cleared some portion of the road, and rolled over on that surface. put the kick stand down and promised myself not to do this ever again on a bike that has no ABS and no traction control and no winter tyres.

But I did feel the need to thank all who recommended the Michelin Commander II. That tyre saved my life again last night. If I had the previous one, I wouldn't have made it out of that bridge in one piece.

So, thank you all and be safe

This is me, right after I parked my bike, in my friend's shop

Last edited by icy; 11-08-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

WoW Icy . You got balls brother...I'll give you that . I wouldn't have tried that even with snow tires or chains...no way Jose.

Glad you got home safe and sound. I love my Commander IIs as well. They've saved my bacon on a couple of occasions in the rain .
RAD_Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #27 (permalink)
icy
Padawan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD_Softail View Post
WoW Icy . You got balls brother...I'll give you that . I wouldn't have tried that even with snow tires or chains...no way Jose.

Glad you got home safe and sound. I love my Commander IIs as well. They've saved my bacon on a couple of occasions in the rain .
Thanks. I think I'll return one of the balls and get more brains instead though. I will hug and kiss the person who mixed the high density rubber in that tyre
Old 11-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #28 (permalink)

I have the same Mich. tires on my 12 WideGlide, they absolutely do suck in every way after about 2k miles. I am having new tires put on in a couple days and 7k easy miles was all I got out of the stock set. I am going from a 180 in the back to 200- I believe the tire is the same one that came stock on the crossbones rear. We shall see!

Jared
2012 FXDWG
GlideWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #29 (permalink)
Addicted Since 2010

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by icy View Post
Thanks. I think I'll return one of the balls and get more brains instead though. I will hug and kiss the person who mixed the high density rubber in that tyre
Hopefully it is a woman then!!

"Mr. Lahey is this you talking or the liquor?"

"Randy...(takes a swig)...I am the Liquor!!!"
XL1200R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #30 (permalink)
icy
Padawan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XL1200R View Post
Hopefully it is a woman then!!
well of course, figuratively speaking here... if it's a dude: hand-shake and a pat on the back; if it's a lady: full hug and a sentimental "you have saved my life, let me buy you a couple of drinks" offer...