considering having LED headlamp installed on my sportster - Page 3 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Sportster General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #21 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph in La. View Post
pricey for sure but not satisfied with OE especially on highbeam , i have aux. lights that burn on lowbeam . i don't do much night riding but would like to be able to see a larger footprint ahead and to sides of the roadway , by the examples illustrated in the 2012 acc. catalog the LED provides a much larger area , any of you able to give a comparison of your own?
Truck Lite makes a 7" LED dual beam bulb for aproxamately $200.00.
Got mine from JP Cycles. Works great. Comes with the pigtail to plug it in to your headlight plug.
Grizzly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #22 (permalink)

I have a set of Rigid Industries Dually LED spot lights (taken off a truck I had) that I thought about mounting on my Iron. Im afraid they wont look very good though...

They are super bright though, follow the link below to check them out.

Dually
Old 11-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #23 (permalink)

I don't do a lot of riding at night. Will the Osram or Sylvannia Ultrabrites make me more noticeable to cage drivers during the day? I want to be as obvious as possible and know the bulb I have in there now isn't doing the job.

Amazon.com: OSRAM - SilverStar H4 (Pair): Automotive Amazon.com: OSRAM - SilverStar H4 (Pair): Automotive
bradahj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #24 (permalink)

Not a fan of the SilverStar lifespan.
Am a fan of the HD LED in my SG. Huge difference in distance and wider view.
WI Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:44 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradahj View Post
I don't do a lot of riding at night. Will the Osram or Sylvannia Ultrabrites make me more noticeable to cage drivers during the day? I want to be as obvious as possible and know the bulb I have in there now isn't doing the job.
They'll be quite a bit brighter but nothing compared to LED or HID. My Phase 7 light practically melts the asphalt because it's so bright.

2010 FXDWG - 18,363 miles of good times. Gone, but not forgotten.

Creator of the annual Illinois Meth Head run. Because riding isn't fun unless you're tweaking and beating up senior citizens!
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:04 AM   #26 (permalink)

My money is on HID. Available for $50.00 USD or so and while a pain to fit the ballast to a Sportster, it's worth the effort!
bobf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #27 (permalink)

i really appreciate all the good info and comparisons of different

lighting options , probably going to go with LED , may be forced to rein in favorite funmoney spending for a bit of time. LED aux. lights next trip.

bike extras , kinda like sex : can't get it all at one time , a piece or two at a time is OK though.
Ralph in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph in La. View Post
lighting options , probably going to go with LED , may be forced to rein in favorite funmoney spending for a bit of time. LED aux. lights next trip.

bike extras , kinda like sex : can't get it all at one time , a piece or two at a time is OK though.
So what's the verdict Ralph? Are you melting asphalt yet?
AndyPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #29 (permalink)

i should have posted back sooner , took my bike for new tires

relocate front turns and some bling and opted for the HD high performance (xenon bulb) instead of LED . learned a lot in this thread and appreciate the info , still may consider LED in the future , i don't nighttime ride much and haven't tried the new bulb since installed.
Ralph in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #30 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XL1200R View Post
Yes and no....
It is one bulb but 2 filaments. So you will only loose your low or high beam at once.

Personally for 20 or so bucks I'll take my chances!! I carry the stock one as a spare anyhow
Well I've never lost a headlamp while riding at night probably because I carry spares (you have to package them like they were nukes).

But I've been with people that lost them and both filaments always seem to burn out one right behind the other not giving them any leaway to limp home.
secoleman57 is offline   Reply With Quote