Storage and first oil change - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Sportster General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'd consider how the bike was ridden (especially the last time it was used). If it was used mainly for short trips and/or during especially humid/damp weather, then I'd change it (or ride it for a good while on the freeway/highway). Changing the oil would also put you in good shape if the bike sits longer than you planned (and you'd be rid of the wear metal that nipplesurfer mentions)

Btw, while you're at it, top the fuel tank to 3/4 or 4/5ths full and consider using a fuel stabilizer (ask your HD dealer about this). I'm sure that you know all about this, but thought I'd mention it anyway.
FMB42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Curmudgeon

Just change it, be done and don't worry.
scol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scol View Post
Just change it, be done and don't worry.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
VA Fender Bender

Garage
oil should certainly be good for more than 350 miles. I cant imagine large peices of slag in there. Do what you feel best with.
dmwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
TJB

My primary concern is with the breakin period. I am no where near the milage needed for the breakin. If changeing it would effect my break in that is what I am ultimatly worried about. I am pretty sure the moisture is out of it as I rode it on the interstates for about 45 minutes before parking it last
TJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamp View Post
Keep riding. Too early to store it.
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Mad Dog 64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Going to pick up my 1200C from the shop tomorrow, will trailer it home as it has had the 1000 mile service done at 688 miles.
Will pull the battery and shove it in the barn under a cover and forget about it till next spring.
LonnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

Change the oil and filter. Storing a bile all winter, with old oil is asking for trouble. There is some moisture and acid and combustion by-products, in that oil. Get it out before letting it it all winter.
bobf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
TJB

I think I will go ahead and change it and maybe hit it up again after 1000 more miles before I start the 5000 mile service schedule.
TJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #20 (permalink)

Consensus on another site I visit is that it's best to ride the bike and get it up to temp then change the oil and filter before setting it up for winter. That way you get rid of all the contaminates that is in the oil.

It's really cheap insurance.
ddrumman2004 is offline   Reply With Quote