Storage and first oil change - Page 3 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Sportster General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #21 (permalink)

With a new bike, less than 2 miles on the odometer would it be safe to just store it with the battery tender plugged in and a cover over the bike?
Stored in a yard barn.
New bike, 2012 sporty 1200, not ridden yet.(by me anyhow)

I am picking up this bike on 11-7-12 and plan on storeing it till next spring as it snowed here today and the forcast does not look good.

New to the whole Harley Davidson thing and don't want to ruin the bike cause I stored my $14K investement wrong.
RedfromWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #22 (permalink)

Be sure to put some Sta-bil or other fuel additive designed for storage, or you risk fuel system problems. Put an ounce of Sta-bil in the tank, fill it up as full as possible, run it till it's warm, hook up your Battery Tender, cover with a breathable cover and wait for warm weather.
bobf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #23 (permalink)

Im getting ready to store my bike for the winter as well...I have about 650 miles on it. I guess I should start thinking about that first dealer service....

*edit* ordered up my Amsoil for all three holes yesterday.

Last edited by blackknight883; 11-09-2012 at 08:32 AM.
blackknight883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #24 (permalink)

sorry but i am so glad i live where its warrm this time of year I feel for you guys storing your bikes
buckanear007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #25 (permalink)
TJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckanear007 View Post
sorry but i am so glad i live where its warrm this time of year I feel for you guys storing your bikes
I hear ya. If I had fur lined longjohns I'd be rideing mine a lot longer below 45 and I'm just not set up for it...
TJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:29 AM   #26 (permalink)

I lived in SW VA, until two years ago. Rode year round, 75-100 miles a day. Back and forth to work. Only let ice stop me. All you need is the right clothes.
bobf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #27 (permalink)
Wide=Glide and Rider

I agree with the folks who said to change it (except for the 2 miles post). Get the contaminated oil out of there (and change the other fluids too) and put it away for the winter. Just did mine this last weekend (sad day for sure) but you'd be safe knowing you have fresh fluids for the long winter nap.

Search the forum for the rest of the winterizing (fuel stabilizer, battery tender, steel wool in the exhaust, etc.).
Old 11-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJB View Post
My wifes Nightster didn't make it even half way to the first oil change at 1000 miles. My question is this, what are your oipinions about leaving the breakin oil over the winter to continue the recomended breaking period in the spring, or do you guys feel changeing it out at around 350 miles would be a better idea incase there are contaminates in her oil that really shouldn't set that long?

I'm thinking leaving it in there is a good idea, let me know what you think...?
You live in Indiana and there is no snow on the ground. Dress warm and take it for a spin of two hours. Come home drink some hot chocolate and then change the oil and filter.