I'm baffled - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Sportster General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

I'm baffled

I had Vance & Hines Staggered Short Shots with the quiet baffles in. I wanted to try the standard baffle so spent 3 hours removing the pipes and heat shields, and drilling a hole in the back side of the heat shields for access to the set screw ( I wrote V&H and suggested that they put a hole there ) for the next time. Put in new port gaskets and re-installed.
Much better sound. Deeper and a bit louder. But, I don't know if it's the 62 degree air in Southern California, or the baffles, But it is running super strong on the freeway.

2005 XL1200C Vance & Hines Staggered Short Stacks w/QQ Thunder Monster Baffles, D & M chrome spike air cleaner, 48, 185 jets, 12" Burly's, Mustang Cyclone solo seat, Progressive 412 shocks.

2009 FXSTC Vance & Hines Big Radius, V&H air filter, 16" RSD King Apes w/1 1\2" risers and 1 1/2" riser extensions, Progressive 422 shocks, Corbin seat.
squeekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

There's a fine line between over-baffling, and performance baffling.

You can have a set of pipes that are designed for performance, and adding too much baffle can swing the horsepower/torque needle in the other direction.

Exhaust velocity needs to be at 300 ft/min, and too stuffy of pipes can slow that down, just as much as too large of diameter pipe, or not enough baffling. (Restriction)

I've seen with my own Vance & Hines pipes, the bike ran better and was easier to jet with the race bafles, VS the quiet baffles, which I bought, installed and removed about 55 minutes after installing them.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

For sale: 2 quiet baffles with 200 miles on them.
I must say, though, when I saw a Highway Patrol sitting on the side of the freeway, I was a bit paranoid and took the next exit off and went back the other way.

2005 XL1200C Vance & Hines Staggered Short Stacks w/QQ Thunder Monster Baffles, D & M chrome spike air cleaner, 48, 185 jets, 12" Burly's, Mustang Cyclone solo seat, Progressive 412 shocks.

2009 FXSTC Vance & Hines Big Radius, V&H air filter, 16" RSD King Apes w/1 1\2" risers and 1 1/2" riser extensions, Progressive 422 shocks, Corbin seat.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Is your jetting the same, and you just adjusted the AF screw?? That's all I did.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Before i put a turbo on my bike I had V&H pipes with the standard baffles and I got a pair of the quiet baffles because it was quite loud. When I put the quiet baffles in I noticed a significant decrease in power and it was not that much quieter..
mrmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
Is your jetting the same, and you just adjusted the AF screw?? That's all I did.
I bought the bike from a Navy guy in San Diego, CA. who bought it from a Navy guy in Florida. It had Florida plates on it. When I put on Python slip ons and a 5" round K&N filter I bought a jet kit. When I tore the carb apart I found it had 48 ( instead of 45?) & 180 jets in it. The A/F adjustment plug had already been removed. I put in 185 jet and kept the 48 in it. I adjusted the A/F adjuster out 2 1/2 turns I believe. It's been that way since I changed to V&H pipes.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Where can I get the regular baffles. When I bought the bike is had unbaffled short shots. I bought and installed the quiet baffles because that was all I could find. If the regular baffles are better I might try those.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Mad Dog 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

Well, after riding through some beach cities on PCH, I realized that the bike is just too loud for comfort with the standard baffles and too quiet and restricted with the "quiet baffles".
So, I'm chancing it and ordered a set of Big City Thunder QQ baffles.
QQ Thunder Monster Baffles
I'm going to have a mini fortune spent on baffles. I hope I didn't f*ck up by not ordering the ORIGINAL THUNDER MONSTER BAFFLES. I just thought they, too, would be too loud.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

I have the same problem squeekie. I've got V&H True Duals on my Heritage and without the baffles they are outrageously loud and I get a ton of decel popping. I set off car alarms and get looks from LEOs as I pass by them on the highway when they're ticketing some cager. They also make my ears ring after long rides even with a full faced helmet on.

I bought and installed the Quiet Baffles but now it's a little too quiet. My sister laughs when I pull up to her place...she says it now sounds like a sewing machine...bit#$ .

I've still got the original longer, open baffles but one of the bolt retainers broke off when I removed them and I can't find it. I'd have to have a machine shop make another with the correct threading and spot weld it on the baffle. Probably be cheaper to just buy another set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baffles.JPG (527.7 KB, 21 views)
RAD_Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD_Softail View Post
I have the same problem squeekie. I've got V&H True Duals on my Heritage and without the baffles they are outrageously loud and I get a ton of decel popping. I set off car alarms and get looks from LEOs as I pass by them on the highway when they're ticketing some cager. They also make my ears ring after long rides even with a full faced helmet on.

I bought and installed the Quiet Baffles but now it's a little too quiet. My sister laughs when I pull up to her place...she says it now sounds like a sewing machine...bit#$ .

I've still got the original longer, open baffles but one of the bolt retainers broke off when I removed them and I can't find it. I'd have to have a machine shop make another with the correct threading and spot weld it on the baffle. Probably be cheaper to just buy another set.
Yeah, it's too much work driving and keeping an eye out for LEO's. Especially when driving through a quaint beach town ( ie. Laguna Beach) where they sit on the curb watching for any little screw up.
Why not just weld a regular nut in place of the missing one? Or, don't even weld it in. Just bolt and nut it.