Widest Possible Front/Rear Tire On A Stock Sportster? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Sportster General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Widest Possible Front/Rear Tire On A Stock Sportster?

I'm shopping for a Sportster & am going through all the specs of what I like/don't like/will want to change. I'm leaning towards a new/newer Custom (or FortyEight) because I really like the look of the symmetrical tires & the wider/smaller/beefier tires. Because I'm so infatuated w/ the tires, if I buy a stock Custom it has to be 2011 or newer (when they changed the front tire width). I also like some other/older Sportsters again except for the tires.

My question is: what is the widest tire I can safely fit on a stock Sportster? I've seen some posts about wide tire kits for Dynas but nothing for Sportsters. I (think I) could save more than a few bucks on an older Sportster if I can buy/fit the tires I want separately but don't want to get in over my head. Also, I'm not the most mechanically gifted & am new to motorcycles so I can't get myself into a crazy hard mod project.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be warmly welcomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Bedrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

I could be wrong but i think it's a 150 on the rear and a 130 on the front. I don't think you can go any wider on the rear but you might be able to go bigger on the front depending on the rim size. ....
Redrooster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

A 150 is stock on the rear. Its also the widest tire recommended for that 3 inch wide rim. In order to go wider a rear rim needs to be replaced. That's for a 16 inch tire. The sportster low uses a 17 inch tire and has a wider tire and rim combo.

To run a 130mm front tire a different rim has to be used and no fender will fit in the OEM forks.

The 48 has different wider triple trees than other XL models.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

you can get a kit for a wider rear tire if you want to go super wide but will have to replace the swing arm ,wheel ,extend the sprockets run a chain and the one i rode , rode like crap .
Tennjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
2014 FLHXS

Garage
I'm been looking at the Miss November which is a Forty-Eight on my 2012 H-D Calendar for 16 days and the front tire looks huge compared to my SuperGlide Custom.
Wrgiacona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

That's because it has a wider triple tree set and it's a completely different front end with exception of the fork legs. Even at that....new SG models have 54mm legs vs the xl models 39mm legs.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Buy a reasonably priced bike of your choice and use a Vulcan WG triple tree kit for around $500. This kit uses a 2000-up wheel which can be found cheaply on ebay and the like. I used the Vulcan kit along with a set of wheels off a '06 Road King on my '07 883L...tires are 150/80-16's front and rear.

Btw, this kit utilizes the stock 39mm fork tubes/lowers. If you try to duplicate what H-D did you will have a boatload of money tied up in it...they used a mid-glide and an oddball wheel/hub combination. Shown in the above pic's are a tin set off a 2011 SuperLow.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
In the wind

Your Fat 883 is fine HOF. Nice mod route.
The new 1200C comes fat for the new owners. The new C comes with a 150/80-16 rear & 130/90-16 front.
I hope to do the Bobcat myself on my Sporty.
Not trying to hijack but how do you like that pipe? Sound? Performance?
My parts guy speaks very well of D & D...
NCWSporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

As far as the D&D Bobcat exhaust is concerned, I never gave anything else the slightest consideration once I saw one on another bike. Best looking/sounding exhaust I have ever come across on a Sportster hands down. My advice for the OP was to buy a used bike for cheap and make the mod's himself instead of taking H-D's version.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnCoat View Post
Your Fat 883 is fine HOF. Nice mod route.
The new 1200C comes fat for the new owners. The new C comes with a 150/80-16 rear & 130/90-16 front.
I hope to do the Bobcat myself on my Sporty.
That being said, since I don't already own a bike, would it even be cost effective to buy a slightly older Sportster to buy & install the kit, new wheels/tires & whatnot or just cut to the chase & buy a newer 48 or Custom?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Bedrock is offline   Reply With Quote