Split tank for a sporty? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Sportster General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Aquaman

Split tank for a sporty?

Hi I have a '99 1200 "sporty sport." Im thinking about beefing up the gas tank here soon from the peanut to to something bigger likea split tank. Are there any other models that are compatible with the 99 sportys or do they all have to have a little fabrication work done? Any help is much appreciated thanks!
crippin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

i think i saw a mount at jp to adapt a bt tank
butch61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Years ago you could buy mounts to add 5 gallon split style tanks to a sportster. It also required you to put a dash on and a tank mounted speedo. No demand for it anymore and all the frames changed since then. I don't even think softails have split tanks any more. They were antiquated, caused rattles and broken tabs and required a method to fill your tank in order to get a full tank and not 2/3 or less.....

JP Cycle still advertises stuff for older xls.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Aquaman

Ya I didnt think about it but I guess they're not split anymore lol. I guess just really looking for the bigger style tank for it never have been much of a fan of the peanut style tanks even on the choppers. I will take a look at jp cycles and see what they have to offer thank you!
crippin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Also take a look at what Debrix and Sportster Specialties has. You should be able to find 3 - 3.5 gallon single piece "Sportbob" tanks that use your stock speedo, or single piece "Bobbed" tanks that use a dash mounted speedo unit.

Also note that most after-market tank manufacturers and/or retailers recommend that you use a "tank sealer." These sealers can result in lots of trouble if not applied right, or while using fuels blends with higher percentages of ethanol (i.e. ~10%) I highly recommend that you research tank sealers, and the problems they can cause, before you buy.

Btw, I have not yet ordered anything from Debrix or Sportster Specialties. However, I have had very good service from J & P Cycles.
FMB42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

on my dad's 04 883 he used to have, we bought a tank on craigslist and cut re welded the mounting brackets on, then I had a plate welded over the hole where the dash and console would normally go. He wanted the speedo on the bars like stock and not on the tank. extra work of course but it looked sweet. There's always a way around something

02sportytex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

being new to all this, I am assuming I have a split tank?

if so, it does rattle like crazy I was thinking it just needed new bushings but maybe its something else. I too dis like the peanut style tank and wanted one with a walnut tank.
AlTheKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

I could be wrong in this but typically a split tank is what it sounds like, a split tank. If you notice the larger bikes such as softails and larger, they all have a console or dash that runs the length of the tank, that is because there is a left tank and right tank and the console covers the line in between each tank. Your tank on that bike is about the same tank we put on my dad's sporty but didn't do the console and speedo on the tank, just had a plate welded on to make a smooth surface.
Me personally I like the look of the peanut tank, of course it's not practical for long rides but neither is a sporty in general they are not made for that.
02sportytex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlTheKiller View Post
being new to all this, I am assuming I have a split tank?

if so, it does rattle like crazy I was thinking it just needed new bushings but maybe its something else. I too dis like the peanut style tank and wanted one with a walnut tank.

No....that's a one piece tank. A split tank is two halves. The ones for XLs come with special mounts. The one piece tanks use the OEM mounts. You'll likely need a new petcock, longer fuel line and a painter.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you guys for clearing that up much appreciated
AlTheKiller is offline   Reply With Quote