making a sportster more comfortable - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Sportster General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
Air shocks on the rear make a huge difference.

are the air shocks 12 or 13"? how much air ya runnin. i've got progressive 440hd 11" on it now, but have a set of sg air shocks on the shelf '05 1200c
butch61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Bikeless....for now!

I'm not impressed by the stock air shocks that are on my RK at all, thinkin about switchin to progressive
Old 11-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch61 View Post
are the air shocks 12 or 13"? how much air ya runnin. i've got progressive 440hd 11" on it now, but have a set of sg air shocks on the shelf '05 1200c
Those are 12" Ultima's...pretty sure I ran less than 10psi.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

I am a big guy and put Heavy Duty Progressive shocks on my sporty and set them to the middle notch. I loved the ride but the stock seat was horrible so I put a Mustang Vintage Wide Touring seat on and it was perfect. I then discovered that my wife wanted to ride too and the sporty was just not big enough for both of us so I traded in for a RK. I kept the Mustang seat so I could sell it later but did not keep the shocks.

I also read many places when I was looking to upgrade mine that people also put the air shocks from the touring bikes on sporty's but I am not sure how.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1353542682961.jpg (66.4 KB, 76 views)

2012 Road King

Post 500 ALR, Indiana Patriot Riders, Indiana Abate, Indianapolis Motorcyclists Group, H.O.G.
Intergalactic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Turgid Member

Progressive shocks, Mustang touring seat. Iso-pegs for rider and passenger. But at the end of the day a sporty is a sporty and that's a good thing. It was find for my 6 mile commute to work and back or 100 mile weekend jaunts around the state. I wanted more comfort on the long hauls so I bought a Superglide Custom. Put a Sundowner seat on it and It's like riding on a cloud compared to the sporty. I'm planing a trip to the Outer Banks of NC this spring on the Dyna.

Michigan
2012 FXDC "Big Blue Pearl"
2010 XL883L "Vivid Black"
Moisture free since 2011
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

Garage
Traded for a Road Glide Ultra
wrnchtchr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #17 (permalink)

i too picked up a rg for two up long runs, but kept the sporty for solo ridin
butch61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 12:51 AM   #18 (permalink)
09 Dyna Super Glide

I rode over 20k the first year that I had my 2008 XL883. It took a bit of doing to get it setup for long distance runs. This is what I did.

Progressive shocks on the rear and Progressive springs in the forks.

Mustang Classic touring seat. If Harley makes a Sundowner seat for the Sportster, I'd get one of those instead. I have one on my Dyna and it is very comfortable. Mustang seats take a while to get them broken in.

Risers to pull both raise and pull the stock drag bars back.

Pirelli MT-66 tires - they have a softer sidewall than Dunlop.

Crash bar with road pegs so that you can stretch out.

Fork brace - makes the bike corner like it is on rails and takes away the twitchy feeling that get on Sporsters on rough or uneven road.

If you have any back issues, a seat with a backrest can be a lifesaver. AirHawk seat pads are a nice addition for really long rides, no matter what seat you might have.

The biggest issue with the Sportster when it comes to riding comfort is the short wheelbase. It tends to pitch the bike around a lot. That said, with a little work you can turn a Sportster into decent touring bike. Whatever you do, don't put shorter shocks on it. You need all the travel that you can get to keep the rear end as comfortable as it can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedrock View Post
was curious what sportster owners have done to their bikes to make them more comfortable rides? Other than swapping the seat (mustangs seem to be a popular choice), any other reasonably easy mods for instilling a smoother ride?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Herd Member #60.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic View Post
I also read many places when I was looking to upgrade mine that people also put the air shocks from the touring bikes on sporty's but I am not sure how.
I got some take off's from a road king on ebay for cheap(under $40 shipped iirc). I have a couple of washers installed between the frame and the shock to space them out right buy these were a huge improvement over stock.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1353564886316.jpg (14.5 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1353564897427.jpg (27.5 KB, 77 views)
motorcycleCory is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I rode over 20k the first year that I had my 2008 XL883. It took a bit of doing to get it setup for long distance runs. This is what I did.

Progressive shocks on the rear and Progressive springs in the forks.

Mustang Classic touring seat. If Harley makes a Sundowner seat for the Sportster, I'd get one of those instead. I have one on my Dyna and it is very comfortable. Mustang seats take a while to get them broken in.

Risers to pull both raise and pull the stock drag bars back.

Pirelli MT-66 tires - they have a softer sidewall than Dunlop.

Crash bar with road pegs so that you can stretch out.

Fork brace - makes the bike corner like it is on rails and takes away the twitchy feeling that get on Sporsters on rough or uneven road.

If you have any back issues, a seat with a backrest can be a lifesaver. AirHawk seat pads are a nice addition for really long rides, no matter what seat you might have.

The biggest issue with the Sportster when it comes to riding comfort is the short wheelbase. It tends to pitch the bike around a lot. That said, with a little work you can turn a Sportster into decent touring bike. Whatever you do, don't put shorter shocks on it. You need all the travel that you can get to keep the rear end as comfortable as it can be.
There is a sundowner seat for the sporty. I bought it and took it back. The sundowner on the sporty pushes the rider up and forward. All of the controls were too close and it made riding uncomfortable for me. I would stick with the mustang seat.

Sent from my MB860 using Motorcycle.com Free App

2012 Road King

Post 500 ALR, Indiana Patriot Riders, Indiana Abate, Indianapolis Motorcyclists Group, H.O.G.
Intergalactic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.