Help with axle nut - Page 3 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Sportster General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjay227 View Post
Use a metal file on the edge of the shaft until 1 thread is slanted a bit

RIDE IT LIKE A MOTORCYCLE
X2.

Or tap on the nut with a rubber mallet while turning the nut with an open end.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Kibb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #22 (permalink)

Garage
It's probably just me however, if I thought the axle or anything else holding the front tire on was damaged I'd probably replace it.
secoleman57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #23 (permalink)

Just look closely at the axle it should be smooth is it a matching set axel and nut

RIDE IT LIKE A MOTORCYCLE
bigjay227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #24 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Sears sells an external thread chaser file. It's a square 4 sided file with 8 different thread patterns on it. That would fix the threads on your axle on the cheap. I think the thing goes for about $5.00.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
Question - Why was a new axle needed in the first place? What year model is your Sportster? Last of the 3/4" axles was in '07...from then on they became 25mm. I'm also assuming you did remove the pinch bolt on the right-side fork lower leg.
I changed to a wide glide front end and a 130 front tire. I purchased the axle/spacer kit from Vulcan works. Spacer kit fit perfect but the axle was very hard to get in. It's the correct diameter but looking at it now I think it may have been machined incorectly. I had to beat it pretty hard to get it all the way in. The bike is an '07 and it is a 3/4" axle. ...... I also beat the shit out of it getting it out yesterday! .. I figured it was shot anyway and I was pretty pissed off.
Redrooster66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #26 (permalink)

I used the same kit from Vulcan on this '07 with no issues. At what point when inserting the axle do you encounter resistance? Sure sounds like they sent the wrong axle to me. That's a 150/80 tire on a '06 RK wheel pictured. What wheel did you go with and did you swap bearings/spacer? I would take the wheel back off and individually fit the axle into each component to try to determine where the resistance is being met. Is there a possibility that you are snagging the spacer that might be hanging awkward between the bearings? I made a little trick spacer combination to prevent it from moving around without having to squeeze it too tightly between the seals/bearings...essentially a spacer inside another spacer.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #27 (permalink)

The axle fit okay up to the point where it steps up in size toward the end. The part that fits into the right fork after it has gone through the wheel is where it got hung up. When I removed the rear axle I had to beat it to get it out so I didn't think twice about the fact that the front need some extra help. .... I used the rear wheel from an FLH (16 x 3.5) on the front and in speaking with Vulcan Works they said this was no problem and the axle and spacers should fit fine. I'm going to call him this morning. Im sure I will enjoy my conversation with Mr. grumpy!! ;-)
Old 12-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #28 (permalink)

Actually I just spoke with him and he was pretty nice so I take it back! ... He is going to send me out a new axle at no charge!! ... I also think I may have found the problem while I was speaking with him. I had the lower legs powder coated and while there is no powder on the hole, there is powder build up around the edge where it was being held up. I think that might be the problem. He insists the axle is correct. ... Now that I know I that I shouldn't have to pund that sucker in, I will look for other reasons as to why it doesn't fit. ....... Live and learn I guess!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
I used the same kit from Vulcan on this '07 with no issues. At what point when inserting the axle do you encounter resistance? Sure sounds like they sent the wrong axle to me. That's a 150/80 tire on a '06 RK wheel pictured. What wheel did you go with and did you swap bearings/spacer? I would take the wheel back off and individually fit the axle into each component to try to determine where the resistance is being met. Is there a possibility that you are snagging the spacer that might be hanging awkward between the bearings? I made a little trick spacer combination to prevent it from moving around without having to squeeze it too tightly between the seals/bearings...essentially a spacer inside another spacer.

Would you mind taking a picture from the front of the bike so I could see how the spacing ended up on each side?? Your bike looks great by the way!!
Old 12-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #30 (permalink)

That would be difficult as the bike is now in Iowa with it's new owner. This is the only shot I could find that might qualify...you are welcome to browse thru the album for any other shots.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.