Help with axle nut - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Sportster General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Help with axle nut

Hello everyone

I am looking for some help with my nuts! .... Actually, I have changed the front wheel on the bike but I am having trouble getting the threads on the axle nut to catch. It looks like I slightly damaged the first couple of threads on the axle when I hammered it through. I tried using a die and it appears to have corrected the threads as I can no longer see any type of mis-alignment in the thread pattern but I can't get the nut to "catch" on to the threads. Any advice?
Redrooster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

You can try a tap for the nut. Should not have to hammer a axle out if you get neutral weight on the wheel with your lift...try a long shank screwdriver to make a T-handle to twist/pull on the axle itself.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. .. I'm not trying to get the axle out. I have already changed the wheel and I installed the axle. I had to hammer the axle back in. I'm just trying to get the axle nut back on.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Parts Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrooster66 View Post
Hello everyone

I am looking for some help with my nuts! .... Actually, I have changed the front wheel on the bike but I am having trouble getting the threads on the axle nut to catch. It looks like I slightly damaged the first couple of threads on the axle when I hammered it through. I tried using a die and it appears to have corrected the threads as I can no longer see any type of mis-alignment in the thread pattern but I can't get the nut to "catch" on to the threads. Any advice?
Next time, stick a screw driver in the hole on the right side and twist the axle out. The axle threads don't go to the end. The tip is hollow, from the machining process and cutting the threads. If you hit it hard enough, you mushroomed the end of the axle and the no larger diameter is preventing the axle nut from going on. If that's the case you'll be replace the axle.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

Garage
Hey Red i would try a tap through the nut, does the nut even look like it is screwed up?. before you put the nut on, I have a quick question did you put anti sieze on the axle shaft? this should help not having to hammer the axle out again.
elvislives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

A new axle nut will determine exactly where your problem lies.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

It's not the nut threads that are the issue, it's the threads on the axle. ... The axle nut is new. ... I had the axle in place and realized I forgot a spacer so I had to take the axle out. I used a hammer to bang it out but I did so with a piece of wood in between the hammer and the axle. I don't think I damaged the threads when I took the axle out, I think I did it when I hammered the axle back in. I'm hoping I don't have to buy another axle. This axle is brand new. It cost me $70.00!
Old 12-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

take the axle to a machinest. he can chamfer the end of the axle on a lave, then the nut will go on correctly as others have suggested use anti-sieze on the axle & on the inside of the spacers . wrap the threads with some tape before installing the axle to prevent damage.

Last edited by eagle1; 12-02-2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling
eagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

I went to take a picture of it and with the lens zoomed in I was able to get a good look at the issue. The end of the axle is pushed in slightly, making contact with the first thread. It looks like I can maybe get a screw driver in between and possibly pry the end of the axle away from the thread. .... Any thoughts from anyone on attempting this?
Old 12-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage
Can you screw the nut on with the axle out? If so, are your spacers oriented correctly and is the axle fully seated?
bikedelic is offline   Reply With Quote