Quick Battery Removal [DIY] - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Sportster General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Leaving the tender on is the smart thing to do. If you have to replace the battery then there is a procedure to follow on a >'04 and newer Sportster ! There is no "quicky" way to do it !
Old 12-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTYS View Post
That's about the dumbest video I've seen yet on how to remove a >'04 and newer Sportster battery.
Where do these experts come from ???

The Dr Phil show?? dunno just tossin it out there...

"Give her full throttle till ya see God... then back off"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezel View Post
Golds bike sounds like a 66' Chevelle. It's amazing.
GotGold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ragin Cajun

Garage
When ya buy a battery tender they supply a pigtale to attach to your battery so ya ain't gotta take it out.

05 bagster 883/1200

Never put off til tomorrow, who you can kill today....Doc Holiday

The only reason some people are alive, is cause it's illegal to kill'um.....
Old 12-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks for your opinions fellas.

While you all may be the most knowledgable mechanics in the world. Not everyone is. So by making a short video about this procedure, those people who might not be able to do this, now know how to. Like I said in my original post. If it helps at least one person. I would be satisfied. And by the looks of it, Ive already helped them.

And yes, the battery tender I bought has the with the clip on pigtails. But the video was more for showing how to remove the battery, for lets say....replacement.

And its not a sin to be hooked up to a tender off the bike. Still works the same way.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
I'll help you hide the body

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackknight883 View Post
Thanks for your opinions fellas.

While you all may be the most knowledgable mechanics in the world. Not everyone is. So by making a short video about this procedure, those people who might not be able to do this, now know how to. Like I said in my original post. If it helps at least one person. I would be satisfied. And by the looks of it, Ive already helped them.

And yes, the battery tender I bought has the with the clip on pigtails. But the video was more for showing how to remove the battery, for lets say....replacement.

And its not a sin to be hooked up to a tender off the bike. Still works the same way.
What we are all telling you is that you are providing non accurate information. Nobody is saying they are better than anyone else, but when we try to help people, we like to give accurate information. To tell someone that is the proper way to install and remove a battey on a 04 and up sportster, is plain wrong.

borrowed from gtrman66
Rules:
#1. Post #1: "New to Community"
#2. Buy a HD Service Manual, best $70 you'll spend
#3. Try the search function, we might have already answered your question
#4. Don't post classifieds until you meet the rules
#5. Don't bad mouth dealers until we know you, there are always 2 sides
misinlink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by misinlink View Post
What we are all telling you is that you are providing non accurate information. Nobody is saying they are better than anyone else, but when we try to help people, we like to give accurate information. To tell someone that is the proper way to install and remove a battey on a 04 and up sportster, is plain wrong.
I never said it was a definitive procedure on battery removal for all sportsters. I said it might work for *most* sportsters. I'll leave it for the user to determine whether or not it helps them or not. I'm sure each motorcycle has its own specific removal procedure for the battery. I consulted my user manual before doing this, and after trying what was presented there, I moved on to what you see in the video. And reached the same result, a battery removed from the vehicle.

So how is the information I showed inaccurate? The battery was removed was it not?

The actual Harley manual procedure wants the user to remove the negative power cable from the top transmission. This spot is very tight, and hard to get to (I show it in the video). If someone managed to get it off, I think it would be even more difficult to get it back on, when they got a new battery in. So by removing the negative directly from the battery, this procedure might save someone a handful of trouble when they are trying to remove a battery. Like a trip to the dealer who will most likely charge a hefty fee for labor and parts.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #17 (permalink)
I'll help you hide the body

Okay, I actually just looked over my shoulder to see if Aston Kutcher was coming into the room...

Oh and for the record, just because I own a video camera it doesn't make me Quentin Tarantino

borrowed from gtrman66
Rules:
#1. Post #1: "New to Community"
#2. Buy a HD Service Manual, best $70 you'll spend
#3. Try the search function, we might have already answered your question
#4. Don't post classifieds until you meet the rules
#5. Don't bad mouth dealers until we know you, there are always 2 sides
misinlink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by misinlink View Post
Okay, I actually just looked over my shoulder to see if Aston Kutcher was coming into the room...

Old 12-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #19 (permalink)

These bikes have batteries?
Burgundy9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgundy9 View Post
These bikes have batteries?
Yea right next to the blinker fluid and muffler bearing.