for those that smirk at sportsters , think back - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Sportster General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
I think a better argument would have been "for anyone that smirks at Sportsters... maybe you should read the history of Harley Davidson's longest running model that is still being produced today..."

Harley-Davidson Sportster History

-Rohan
See....I argue that all the time. The FL has been in production since 1941, 16 years before the Sportster. (XL)

The FL is still in existance to this day.

Do the math. Do the research. FL has been around longer than the XL.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
icy
Padawan

Garage
beh. ignorance is bliss. I was so happy thinking that all EK ever rode was Harleys. man was I mistaken. eh. live and learn. I agree, I probably saved a couple of 20s in future bets because of this post thank you
icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icy View Post
beh. ignorance is bliss. I was so happy thinking that all EK ever rode was Harleys. man was I mistaken. eh. live and learn. I agree, I probably saved a couple of 20s in future bets because of this post thank you
Good bar bet.

I have a few I use. Best part is, these days, after you tell them, they research it on their smart phones, and BAM.....instant payment of the beer they owe you, and no welchers that just want to argue.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
JPR

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Illiniwek View Post
Triumph, indeed...

Attachment 36301

Not a sportster? Say it isn't so!

65 Italian scooter
66 305 Rice burner; NO PROBLEMS
67 650 English Bike; MAJOR PROBLEMS
1968/XLCH - lots of mods; loved it for 11 years; NO MECHANICAL PROBLEMS
2012 Heritage 103 Rush 2.0 pipes "MAMBO #5"
bought all brand new except scooter

There's a picture of the sportster after all the mods in my images file. Check out my favorite target with a 45 Kimber at 25 ft on an 8.5 x 11 picture.
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
JPR

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
See....I argue that all the time. The FL has been in production since 1941, 16 years before the Sportster. (XL)

Yeah, but it still has a significant run and continues on.

Does the FL come in a 1200 engine now, because the Sportster (XL) still has an 883 which was the orignial sized engine.

65 Italian scooter
66 305 Rice burner; NO PROBLEMS
67 650 English Bike; MAJOR PROBLEMS
1968/XLCH - lots of mods; loved it for 11 years; NO MECHANICAL PROBLEMS
2012 Heritage 103 Rush 2.0 pipes "MAMBO #5"
bought all brand new except scooter

There's a picture of the sportster after all the mods in my images file. Check out my favorite target with a 45 Kimber at 25 ft on an 8.5 x 11 picture.
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

I agree with you to a point Dave...

I think where the confusion lies is here: The Sportster has been The Sportster since 1957. The FL has taken different forms from the first Knucks and Pans, to the Hydra Glide, Duo Glide, Electra Glide, Tour Glide, Heritage...

Yes the FL has been produced longer than the XL but the "Sportster" name has been produced with more consistency for longer. Does that make sense?

-Rohan
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
I agree with you to a point Dave...

I think where the confusion lies is here: The Sportster has been The Sportster since 1957. The FL has taken different forms from the first Knucks and Pans, to the Hydra Glide, Duo Glide, Electra Glide, Tour Glide, Heritage...

Yes the FL has been produced longer than the XL but the "Sportster" name has been produced with more consistency for longer. Does that make sense?

-Rohan
I agree. The name "Sportster" has been used longer, since 1957. It's chassis signifies it's an XL model.

The "K-Model" wasn't a sportster, although similar. 1952-1956.

The FL model started with the first 74 CID Knucklehead in 1941. It has been called an Electra Glide, Classic, Fatboy, Ultra Classic, Tour Glide, Duo Glide, Hydro Glide and etc.... Basically, anything with an FL chassis and 1200 or more CCs.

Sportster has been labeled the same, but with a 900, a 1000, a 1100, an 883 and a 1200 CC engine. Actually, I believe the 900's were really 883ccs.... But 900 sounded better.

I just love to bring that up and make people think.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #18 (permalink)

Garage
I totally forgot about the 1100. That's why I love this forum. I learn, think, and remember.

-Rohan
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree. The name "Sportster" has been used longer, since 1957. It's chassis signifies it's an XL model.

The "K-Model" wasn't a sportster, although similar. 1952-1956....

Sportster has been labeled the same, but with a 900, a 1000, a 1100, an 883 and a 1200 CC engine. Actually, I believe the 900's were really 883ccs.... But 900 sounded better.

I just love to bring that up and make people think.
The 900 was an 883. If you look it up, therre never was a 900cc Sportster. It was called 900 but in reality is was 883ccs.

Dave
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
The 900 was an 883. If you look it up, therre never was a 900cc Sportster. It was called 900 but in reality is was 883ccs.

Dave
I agree. Asian bike makers are known for this. My RC51 was labeled as a 1000 cc bike. When it came time to insure it, the cut off was 999 CCS and under for one price and 1000 CCS and over for another. I argued with the insurance and won, because the bike is NOT 1000 ccs..... it was really 999 CCS.

Unlike my 1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 which was really 1015ccs.

Its a marketing ploy. Make it sound bigger then it is..... oh....wait.....or is that a dating ploy?