air shocks - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Suspension

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 07:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Smile air shocks

going to try air shocks on my 03 huggar and was wondering how to set them up after the install.

all responses are appreciated
1forrest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Vote Cthulhu in 2016

I just took the factory air shocks off my '12 ultra and installed progressive springs; much happier. I assume you are going with aftermarket, and therefore hope your experience with air shocks is better than mine!
City Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

actually I got some rk from fleabay for a great price, so if I don't like them I'm not out very much. what didn't you like with your air shocks?
Old 11-17-2012, 05:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Vote Cthulhu in 2016

The back end of my bike, even when new, just seemed too "squirrelly" when I was in broad sweepers at speeds greater than 35 mph. I adjusted air pressure in the shocks and tires, and while I was admittedly a new rider (as an adult on a full-sized road bike), I did ride dirt bikes alot as a kid, many times on roads (illegally) so I knew something about dynamics in turns. The bike just never felt planted all the time, I guess would be the most accurate statement. Plus it bottomed out alot, even at 50 lbs of pressure in the shocks, when I put my wife on the back (not a big girl by any means.)

When I took the MSF course I asked about the sensation I was expereincing, and the lead instructor (who was riding the '11 CVO version of my Ultra Limited) told me it was likely the suspension. He explained to me that it was an older design and that newer suspension kits were available to overcome some of that 'traditional' Harley handling from years gone by.

I don't know if this was gospel, but I did decide to upgrade to the Progressives when I needed new tires, so I combined some new 444s out back with monotube cartridges in the front and a set of Michelin Commander II tires. The bike is now a completely different animal.

The biggest difference I feel is that I no longer have to fight to hold the bike into a lean in broad sweepers; it seems to just easily fall into those curves and feels very stable. The suspension feels firm but not overly-so (I have the heavy duy springs on the 444s instead of the regular ones; I weigh 250 lbs at 6 foot 4) and my wife agrees that the ride is much less jarring even though it feels firmer.

I hope this helps.
City Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've got progressive fork springs on the way, and as I said about the air shocks we'll see, if they don't work out the next step is the 444's, and this helps a great deal, thank you