2012 street glide rear shocks - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Suspension

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Question 2012 street glide rear shocks

I have a 2012 SG and have noticed that the stock shocks suck. I have seen a lot of posts about progressive and ohlins and changing the oil to a heavier oil in the shock. not wanting to be cheap, but also want to get a better ride. new shocks are not in the budget yet so would the oil change work? if not, then its time to save a few $$ for new shocks. any input would be appreciated, thanks.
RonHerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonHerman View Post
I have a 2012 SG and have noticed that the stock shocks suck. I have seen a lot of posts about progressive and ohlins and changing the oil to a heavier oil in the shock. not wanting to be cheap, but also want to get a better ride. new shocks are not in the budget yet so would the oil change work? if not, then its time to save a few $$ for new shocks. any input would be appreciated, thanks.
You said rear shocks, are they air? I have a 2012 EG which has air rear shocks, well I was getting a very hard ride until I put the air pressure to 20 lbs.
Boston62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
VA Fender Bender

Garage
street glide rear shocks are air. They do not suck.

http://dmwphoto.smugmug.com

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard
Steven Wright
dmwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston62 View Post
You said rear shocks, are they air? I have a 2012 EG which has air rear shocks, well I was getting a very hard ride until I put the air pressure to 20 lbs.
Agreed. I thought my ride was very rough till I checked and found out that it had 4 psi from the dealer. Iirc I'm at 25 or so and a huge difference
zeus0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rear shocks have oil and is pressurized with air. It is possible to change the oil to a heavier weight oil. Google is your friend for step by step.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
lambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage
yes they are air, they ride very rough and bottom out all the time. i am about 220# and my wife 155# we run about 30 psi in the shocks and 20 psi when its just me. my ultra rode smoother with 1" lower shocks than stock.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Collision Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwphoto View Post
street glide rear shocks are air. They do not suck.
People that don't say they suck, have never rode on a good shock.

I switched out to the Progressive's, and even my wife noticed the difference. NIGHT and DAY difference over the stock garbage. The ride is so much different, handles better, etc. WELL worth the coin.

Harley Forum Meet and Greet Video 2013

http://youtu.be/yW0nzq94R1Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0skr19KrE4
2stangs8689 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
VA Fender Bender

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stangs8689 View Post
People that don't say they suck, have never rode on a good shock.

I switched out to the Progressive's, and even my wife noticed the difference. NIGHT and DAY difference over the stock garbage. The ride is so much different, handles better, etc. WELL worth the coin.
I still say they dont suck. I have had two bikes with them and have not had any reason to go fixing something that was not broken.
I am sure they dont suit everyone, I will give you that, but they dont suck.

Dave

http://dmwphoto.smugmug.com

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard
Steven Wright
dmwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Collision Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwphoto View Post
I still say they dont suck. I have had two bikes with them and have not had any reason to go fixing something that was not broken.
I am sure they dont suit everyone, I will give you that, but they dont suck.

Dave

When you have a airline rupture, like I did, and there's 60 miles to home, and your wife is with you, and the back end is slamming on every pebble, and there's oil all over your bike, believe me, they are POS when you ride something with REAL shocks on it, when you replace that junk.

But if your happy with em, hey.. Be happy.

Harley Forum Meet and Greet Video 2013

http://youtu.be/yW0nzq94R1Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0skr19KrE4
2stangs8689 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage
i am looking at the progressive 940's. they look great and the price is under $500 so i am hoping they are worth it. they are the ultra low's. so after a couple of calls tomorrow i will know exactly what im doing, thank you everyone.