09 Touring bike possible wiring harness issue. - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2009, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

09 Touring bike possible wiring harness issue.

Found this. Passing it on:

Possible 09 H-D Touring Bike Wiring Harness Issues
Some Technical people I trust reported a potential wiring and ECM connector problem on the late model Harley-Davidson Touring bikes through other channels. This issues is something that others have probably found on some of TC96/103/110 Touring bikes. These wiring problems can cause Check Engine lights to occur and possible engine running issues.

While any unconfirmed report like this should be treated cautiously by any rider, there is strong circumstantial evidence to support this information. There were reports within 72 hours of additional 12-14 2009 and possbily two 2010 Touring bikes exhibiting the symptoms described in this article.

This issue is only seen the FL Touring models (fly-by-wire) and may have appeared as early as 2008, but has been confirmed on 2009 bikes. It has already been seen in the 2010 Touring bikes. This problem can occur while sitting still or riding. It affects Throttle Control, there-by affecting cruise control and other engine speed functions. The primary area impacted seems to be the +5VDC and ground circuit wiring harness connections at the ECU, but all portions of the connector can be a problem. The +5VDC and sensor ground disruption can also affect the sensors for emission control throughout the bike.

On a side note, this situation would explain the problems noted with riders attempting to use XiED's on their 2009 Touring bikes. Nightrider has always contended the XiED's were not working on the 2009 Touring bikes because of a ground fault issue with the H-D ECM or a problem with the +5-0V Throttle sensor signal. A situation were the +5VDC sensor signal and sensor ground signal from the ECM was being disrupted by the ECM wiring harness connector would explain the symptoms seem during XiED testing on the 09 Touring bikes.

One simple test for this condition has been to remove the seat, start the bike and wiggle the harness near the ECM connector and watch for a check engine light. An effected bike will have a CE light come on intermittently and in some cases, the light may stay on after a code is set.

We do not know if this is a systemic problem with all the late model fly-by-wiring Touring bikes or an anomoly, but circumstantial evidence indicates the situation is very easy to recreate on 2009 and few 2010 bikes the simple test has been tried on.

Some of the temporary fixes to this situation seem to be:

*Move and secure the wiring harness while trying to relive the strain against the connector
*Using some washes or spacers under one end of the ecu, changing the angle of the 2 mating connectors on the ecu.
*In some extreme cases, strain relief slots may need to be cut in the seat pan to prevent pressure on the ECM or wiring harness
*Some aftermarket seats do not appear to fit as tightly against the ECM and wiring harness.

Any of these methods may provide temporary relief to the strain on the connector, but the problem would seem to be a poor job of engineering or manufacturing of the ECM connector or wiring harness connector by Harley-Davidson. Our unconfirmed 'inside information' indicated that these connectors were designed with a very limited insertion life. What this means is that the connector may not properly seat after couple of removal/insertion cycles or in the case of the H-D, simple flexing of the connector because of routing of the cable under the seat of engine vibrations. If the connector is not properly seating, very critical sensor voltages are not available or the grounds may not be made, which can create situations were the sensor are misread. The resulting failures when associated with the throttle circuit or O2 sensor circuit can be unpredictable at worst or cause Check Engine lights at their most benign.

If you have are able to recreate this issue with your 2008, 2009 or 2010 Harley-Davidson Touring bike, we recommend you contact your local Dealer and show him the problem. You may want to cosider filing an incedent report with Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to ensure that H-D gets the message.

We are attempting to gather more information on this situation and will report any changes. If you test your bike for this issue, please e-mail your results good or bad to Nightrider. If this report is true, we want all riders to be aware of the situation. If the report is isolated to a few bikes, then we want to be able to correct our reporting to accurately reflect the correct information.

As of Aug-13-2009, we have even more circumstantial evidence that there are issues with the latest engineering revision of the H-D wiring harness connectors at the ECM. There were specific indications of 2009 Touring bikes with different connector types where the newer part number exhibited issues with the XiED's and the older part number more commonly used on the 2008 Touring bikes allowed the XiED's to work without any problems. We cannot explain the older revision connectors showing up on late manufacture bikes. Nor is it our intent to speculate on this high incedence of the connectoris showing up towards the end of the 2009 Touring bike run. Our only intent is to identify and resolve the issue so 2009 H-D Touring bike riders can use the XiED's on their bikes. We will continue to report updates as they occur.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Boooya!!!

i would suspect the molex connector pins. HD supplier prob changed their manufacturer and the pins do not seat well or tension on the pins come loose. I use Deutsh connectors and the pins here and depending on the mfg of the metal pins some seem softer than others while crimping. the female connector pin may pry apart while being moved and not stay tight. just my:

Father giving advice to son: Never do anything once around the house that you don't want to do for the rest of your life.
- Frank Briggs

A man isn't a man until he has to meet a payroll.
- Ivan Shaffer

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
- Dean Martin
streetnoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ive been having electrical glinches also ,,,Blows the 15 amp acc. fuse sitting still or while riding I loose turn signals brake light and cruise control,,,,,,What can be done about this. Ive had it to the dealer but you know how that works, it wont do it when you want it too.....
radfabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by radfabber View Post
Ive been having electrical glinches also ,,,Blows the 15 amp acc. fuse sitting still or while riding I loose turn signals brake light and cruise control,,,,,,What can be done about this. Ive had it to the dealer but you know how that works, it wont do it when you want it too.....
The functions you're losing all run through the 15a acc. fuse . Do you have custom grips ? That's the first place I'd look , for pinched wires inside the switch housings , between the front brake and clutch perch clamps . Very common ! Dealer should have checked that though based on the symptom .
Any codes , engine light comes on after the engine is started and stays on for about 5 seconds then goes out ?
Also could be one of the light wires pinched and shorting to ground .
Many things to check !!!
SCHMIDTYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
100k Harley,100kBMW

Cool ECM connector

Great post by Dave63, And thanks for bringing this to our attention. I have not experienced this on my '09 Electra Classic but, this is a common problem with many European vehicles I've worked on over the past 40 years. Solution: disconnect the battery. Remove the ECM connector to the computer, apply di-electric grease to each of the terminals, reconnect , then connect the battery. This may not be the only problem these models have, but it's a good safe place to start.
Biker1boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
bud

Electrical Glitches On Harleys & Vettes

Hey , I've Had The Same Problem On My C 5 Vette For Years Because It Just Sits In The Garage Mostly Like My 2008 Ultra Does . I Found A Cure In Short Years Ago .find A Intersection With The Loud Attension Getting Asphalt Strips That Viberates So Hard That Your Rear View Mirrow Vibs Down . Take Your Harley Or Vette Accross These Noisy Strips Everytime You Leave Home An It Will Keep Your Contacts Clean An Make Voltage Go To Its Proper Place To Prevent These Glitches .both My Harley & My Vette Stay Out Of The Shop By Simply Crossing These Viberating Asphalt Strips . My Harley Has A Problem With The Throttle Position & Vette Has A Problem With Turn Signals An Emerg. Flashers If I Don't Cross The Asphalt Strips Regluarly To Keep Them Fit . It Works For Me . Bud
bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Just passing thru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud View Post
Hey , I've Had The Same Problem On My C 5 Vette For Years Because It Just Sits In The Garage Mostly Like My 2008 Ultra Does . I Found A Cure In Short Years Ago .find A Intersection With The Loud Attension Getting Asphalt Strips That Viberates So Hard That Your Rear View Mirrow Vibs Down . Take Your Harley Or Vette Accross These Noisy Strips Everytime You Leave Home An It Will Keep Your Contacts Clean An Make Voltage Go To Its Proper Place To Prevent These Glitches .both My Harley & My Vette Stay Out Of The Shop By Simply Crossing These Viberating Asphalt Strips . My Harley Has A Problem With The Throttle Position & Vette Has A Problem With Turn Signals An Emerg. Flashers If I Don't Cross The Asphalt Strips Regluarly To Keep Them Fit . It Works For Me . Bud
It might even break up kidney stones if you got em

Rumble strips as contact cleaners.....interesting.

Pics
EZE RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
2010 R.K.C.

How's this for a wiring issue. My RKC now has 1000 miles and yesterday my friend is traveling with me in his car. Later, he stops and says, "you know, there might be something wrong with your turn signals. Some times they flash the way you are turning and some times they flash the wrong way." So we checked them and when he was in front of my bike they flashed the wrong way and when he was behind me they flashed the right way. Sure enough, they have the front turn signals wired backwards. I felt like an idiot. $22,000 bike and I'm telling half the people I'm going one way and the other bunch think I'm going the other way...................I'm hand signaling my fancy bike until this weekend when I can get around to moving some wires.

Show of hands: should there be a discount for this kind of thing?
bwholzschuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
100k Harley,100kBMW

Cool Crossed Signals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwholzschuh View Post
How's this for a wiring issue. My RKC now has 1000 miles and yesterday my friend is traveling with me in his car. Later, he stops and says, "you know, there might be something wrong with your turn signals. Some times they flash the way you are turning and some times they flash the wrong way." So we checked them and when he was in front of my bike they flashed the wrong way and when he was behind me they flashed the right way. Sure enough, they have the front turn signals wired backwards. I felt like an idiot. $22,000 bike and I'm telling half the people I'm going one way and the other bunch think I'm going the other way...................I'm hand signaling my fancy bike until this weekend when I can get around to moving some wires.

Show of hands: should there be a discount for this kind of thing?
There just ain't NO excuse from the Motor company for this kind of Quality control.
Biker1boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker1boy View Post
There just ain't NO excuse from the Motor company for this kind of Quality control.
should be a disscount and dealer should be falling over himself to get you satisfied with your bike no matter what it takes... if I was you I wouldn't hold my breath tho...

more likely you will be treated like you should kiss the dealers ass for them letting you even purchase your bike..... thats the attitude I usually get from the dealers in my area....

you are right... there is no excusse for that sort of an issue.... I would hope that the dealer would go over a bike before you drive it off the lot...... evidently they dont.....

good luck to ya...
there's my 2 cents....