Older tour pack on an 09 Street Glide?? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 05:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Older tour pack on an 09 Street Glide??

Does anyone know if the older tour packs (pre-09) will fit on an 09 Street Glide with the wider frame? I read somewhere awhile back that they won't but can't find the article. I want a detachable tour pack and I know the mount is different but not sure of the tour pack bottom. I but was looking to eBay an older one since the MC wan't around a grand for an 09 model.

thanks

Icetek
05 Road King
09 Street Glide
icetek66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

No one...????

Come on... someone has had to try this oe know someone who has.... Some decent offers on eBay for the older tour packs.

thanks
Old 09-22-2009, 12:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
born to be mild

Icetek, you'll get a better response to your question if you introduce yourelf in the new to the community section.

I have no idea about the tour pack as I have a sportster.

'06 883
V+H Straight Shots
All fixed up and good to go!!!
gsilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

I believe the Tour Pack will fit your Bike, the only thing that has changed is the Mount itself because of the Wider Tire and Fender.
I installed a New Take off Tour Pack on My 09 RG. Make sure you get the correct mounting plate, I went with the Detachable one.
nolafishr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
BatRod

I have this magic tool called an electric drill. If the tourpak and the rack don't match, drill new holes. I don't see the problem.
Daniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

I've got an 09 electra glide with a tour pack from an o4 classic. Just need to buy the rack. Everything bolts up fine.
ripken2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
when did it start 4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniii View Post
I have this magic tool called an electric drill. If the tourpak and the rack don't match, drill new holes. I don't see the problem.
yea you should see mine its been on like 10 diff bikes lol
2011 Subaru OB (DD)

A great man once said
" you better keep your traps shut, bc you know what they say, People in glass houses sink ships"
Jacket4256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

sorry for the late reply... thanks for all the input. I have one of the cheaper e-bay aftermarket packs on my 05 RK. Paid something like $135 in vivid black and added the luggage rack for another $40. It does the job as advertised but you can tell the difference. Rattles a lot going down the road and the top luggage rack is pure crap. I think there is more real metal in a Bic lighter - the tiny ones not the originals. Plus existing holes and mounting brackets were useless for the HD detachable tour pack mount for the 05's. And after a few days I saw stress marks in the base so had to add some bigger home-made washers. But again it did the job - got what I paid for. It made it to Bike Week in Faaker See Austria and back - about 1600 miles.

So now back to looking for a real HD one on e-Bay for my 09 and thanks to the inputs it sounds like any will fit as long as I get the 09 tour pack mount which I had already known I would have to do. It's just that somewhere - ???? - I read that the older ones won't fit the 09 and newer but can't find that article or post so had to ask.

Again thanks for the input and I'll post comments/pics once I get everything together.

I bought the bike in Sept 08 and did a 17 day US trip - NJ to Fla to Vegas to Sturgis (post rally!!!) to the HD museum in Milwaukee then back to NJ (Navy retirement cruise). Then crated it and shipped it via a US Navy space-available program. Well it arrived in Sicily Italy 2 weeks ago. I went down and uncrated it last Monday and checked it out and will actually bring it back home next Tues - can't wait to ride her again!!!. Only 363 days to ship it - all to save some money!!! Good thing I had the 05 RK to fill in for me...