Extended Warranty - Is it worth the money. - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
2010 Ultra Classic

Extended Warranty - Is it worth the money.

I purchased a new 2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic. When I did, I got the extended warranty. Next year 2015 the extended warranty will be up. I have a few questions, if someone wouldn't mind answering them.
I do not know a lot about motorcycles.

1. Is the extended warranty worth the money.
2. Can it be used nation wide.
3. Does the engine have to be done over, after a certain number of
miles.

Tks for the replies
Reboot123
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 06:42 AM

My thinking, If you are going to put a lot of miles on the bike it may pay off but if it's only getting a few thousand miles a year, Save your $$$.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 07:26 AM

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 07:27 AM
Banned

I'm inerrsted in learning about this, too, as I just bought a 2014.

I'd add the question:

Does the work need to be done by a dealer, or can it be by an indie?
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 08:42 AM
Acta Non Verba

Worth the money? For me yes, but I ride 15k+ per year. If you ride say, less than 5k probably not.

Nation wide, yes, any HD dealer and some independant shops.

Engine rebuilds vary widely, a twin cam can last 100k+ with only basic maintenance. Some won't. Riding style, maintenance and luck of the draw. Most last longer than people own the bike.

Some shops will have issues with you changing the intake, exhaust and tuning, some won't. Other shops will throw up the red flag at any mod. These jerks will refuse warranty work. Ask your local dealers to see where they stand.

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 10:19 AM
Asylum Inmate

Garage
You are thinking about extended warranty wrong.

While there is a miles ridden component to the odds of something going wrong.

What you really need to ask is if I have second go out on the tranny do I have the 3500 to be up and running again without a loan or causing severe family budget problem?

If the answer is you can write the check then move to miles driven and the odds of it breaking from use. If the answer is it would make me take a loan or cause financial stress you need to look at extended warranty.

To many people look at it as will I make money. When they should look at it as family budget insurance against a break down causing financial stress.

I put them on my bikes after the warranty until the ten years has lapsed. I am happy to say I have never had to use it. I am also happy to report over ten years my costs for the warranties averaged out to 700 per year. Cheaper than one 15k maintenance costs per year. I ride about 15 to 20K per year. I can write the check anytime but like insurance so I can write the check for the next new bike instead.

Just a different way to think about it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Radar, JTJ, DBD and 1 others like this.

Don't be a Puss .. Plan on Collision 2018, "you're going unless you die" is the attitude to adopt!

USMC Sgt 79-85
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
Western Colorado PGR

2003 VRSCA
2016 FLTRXS

AMA PAC Supporter
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Asylum Inmate

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogjen View Post
I'm inerrsted in learning about this, too, as I just bought a 2014.

I'd add the question:

Does the work need to be done by a dealer, or can it be by an indie?

There are some indies that are harley certified that do warranty work.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Don't be a Puss .. Plan on Collision 2018, "you're going unless you die" is the attitude to adopt!

USMC Sgt 79-85
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
Western Colorado PGR

2003 VRSCA
2016 FLTRXS

AMA PAC Supporter
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 10:31 AM

If I may add a question...

Can you cancel a warranty that you have never used?
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 10:38 AM
Acta Non Verba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHoG View Post
If I may add a question...

Can you cancel a warranty that you have never used?
You can, they make it difficult and you'll only get a prorated amount back.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 10:45 AM

Think of the ESP as an insurance policy. Do you have the bucks to spend if necessary repairs arise and you go the "self-insured" route?

Or can you sleep better at night knowing your ESP will keep you from a serious repair that would wreck your budget?

Another thing to consider is that dealers don't all charge the same price. When I got my '13 RGC one dealer here quoted me $1,739 for the 5-year ESP without the tire & wheel coverage. The other dealer here quoted me $1,989 for same. I didn't buy the ESP. And since I scrapped the HD ECM for a Thundermax auto-tune tuner and my bike is in the shop now getting S&S 551 cams neither dealer would likely honor any engine related warranty so the ESP wouldn't have been a wise purchase for me.

I did buy the EP when I bought a new '11 Fat Bob. Paid $1,584. When I knew I was going to sell/trade my Fat Bob and order/buy a '13 RGC when they came out in 8/12 I sold the Fat Bob ESP back to the dealer. They of course paid me for the "unused" portion of the ESP and I got back like $1,200 or so. Naturally they have to make some bucks, but to keep almost $400 for the "usage" is pretty f***ing ridiculous since the Fat Bob was still under the factory 2-year warranty and no stinking nothing was ever paid by the ESP.

IMHO, FWIW, I would not decide whether or not to buy the ESP until just before my 2-year factory warranty was up. And then, if I hadn't had any serious problems with my bike and ESPECIALLY if I had done any mods the dealer could use to squirm out of warranty work I would not buy the ESP and would take my chances. If I had already experienced serious problems and had not done any mods the dealer would frown on I might purchase the ESP at that time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode